Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/30/2004 3:55:32 AM EDT
Does anyone make or can a AK74U be made into a pistol? Also if anyone already has one do you have any pics? I am thanking of a ak pistol but like the ak74u may do a rifle and pistol Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:30:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Since this maybe a prob. to do how hard is it to find a 5.56 kit and can you use the same rec. as the 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
]www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=64215]

No. after the first production unit is produced the rest of us are screwed!

I think we be screwed, I beleive a few manufactures have made 5.45mm pistol receivers here recently.

Does Wolf 5.45 have a steel core or is it lead? If it is lead it should not matter correct?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think we be screwed, I beleive a few manufactures have made 5.45mm pistol receivers here recently.

Does Wolf 5.45 have a steel core or is it lead? If it is lead it should not matter correct?

AFAIK, Wolf uses lead cores as does Barnaul.  I would think that a lead core bullet would preform better than a steel core bullet in tissue anyways.  The only reason I would want steel is for better penetration on hard targets but for that I would suggest something a little heavier than 5.45.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The point as I understand it, is there are some people that are going to import alot of russian surplus ammo that does have the steel plug.  Making a pistol that has it, would get all that banned.  Me personally, I'd rather have alot of cheap ammo.  Build one in 5.56 and you'll be good to go.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone needs to send a letter to any potential manufacturers.

The good thing is that K-var, the main supplier for 5.45 krinkov kits, is aware of issue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Make a regular krikov pistol. The 7.62X39 isnt affected by veloicty as much as other rifle rounds. Plus, its just fun :D

AMD65 pistols are fun too
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:42:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Read this first, and if you do it, we will find you............
WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THANK YOU ARE SOME TYPE OF TOUGH GUY OR SOMTHING! HELL MAYBE I'LL JUST BUILD ONE TO PISS YOU OFF I JUST ASKED A SIMPLE QUESTION ABOUT A BUILD AND YOU WANT TO START A WAR WITH ME WTF OVER!! WHATS UP HERE AT AR15.COM MODERATORS CAN THREATEN USERS OF THIS SITE!!
EVERYONE ELES THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!
P.S. I PICKED UP 2 KITS TODAY A 5.45 KRINKOV KIT AND A 7.62X39 AK KIT
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 10:52:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought that law only applied to cartridges with a bullet larger than .22?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Read this first, and if you do it, we will find you............
WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THANK YOU ARE SOME TYPE OF TOUGH GUY OR SOMTHING! HELL MAYBE I'LL JUST BUILD ONE TO PISS YOU OFF I JUST ASKED A SIMPLE QUESTION ABOUT A BUILD AND YOU WANT TO START A WAR WITH ME WTF OVER!! WHATS UP HERE AT AR15.COM MODERATORS CAN THREATEN USERS OF THIS SITE!!
EVERYONE ELES THANK YOU FOR THE INFO!!
P.S. I PICKED UP 2 KITS TODAY A 5.45 KRINKOV KIT AND A 7.62X39 AK KIT

ITS CALLED A SENSE OF HUMOR---TRY FINDING ONE OVER.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I found no humor in his reply Thank you! If somone is seeking info here they should not feel threatend to do so!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:43:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have not produced any. We will not produce any. God knows we don't need any more BS laws to worry about!

Mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#18]

We have not produced any. We will not produce any. God knows we don't need any more BS laws to worry about!

Mike

thats good new but what about the home builders you know some asshole going to fu@k it up just because they can
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I found no humor in his reply Thank you! If somone is seeking info here they should not feel threatend to do so!!

lighten up dude, all he was try ing to point out was to not build it because we will all be screwed.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#20]
yeah grow up, and people that type in all caps when they want to yell have a tiny penis
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
yeah grow up, and people that type in all caps when they want to yell have a tiny penis

I once wondered why I didn't feel the need to use all caps.    Now I know.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#23]
like the saying goes "the truth hurts"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:14:20 PM EDT
[#24]
You guys do know that OOW has produced 5.45mm receivers registered as pistols right? If I remember corectly, someone here had bought one directly from them. I know of several people who have stated they were picking one up from them, registered as a pistol. The ATF does not give a damn about the parts kits, they care about the receivers which are the firearm. If OOW has registered them as pistols then, well to late. Is all this about a new Russian surplus ammo coming in because wolf HP is not Mil-surplus SC ammo. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
You guys do know that OOW has produced 5.45mm receivers registered as pistols right? If I remember corectly, someone here had bought one directly from them. I know of several people who have stated they were picking one up from them, registered as a pistol. The ATF does not give a damn about the parts kits, they care about the receivers which are the firearm. If OOW has registered them as pistols then, well to late. Is all this about a new Russian surplus ammo coming in because wolf HP is not Mil-surplus SC ammo. Just my $.02

YES. There has already been a limited amount of milsurp 5.45 imported... As combloc countries complete their switches over from 5.45 to 5.56 (for NATO compliance), or next time they rotate reserve stores, they will put the stores up for grabs on the civie market.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

YES. There has already been a limited amount of milsurp 5.45 imported... As combloc countries complete their switches over from 5.45 to 5.56 (for NATO compliance), or next time they rotate reserve stores, they will put the stores up for grabs on the civie market.

gotcha

However the receivers are out there as we speak. Some people have been waiting for years to build them a 5.45mm AK pistol and now they are being told not to because of the Mil spec 5.45 issue. I think it will be very very hard to stop people from building the firearm of their choice after a 10 year ban. I think we are all pissin in the wind on this one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:38:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I guess this is like saying that if you build an AR pistol you can no longer buy Lake City or other MilSurp 5.56, and may only buy PMC, Maine, and Olympic- and not even SS109.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#28]
It doesn't matter anyhow.

The law says anything OVER .22 cal .

The 5.45 is .221 !

If the law doesn't apply to .556 nato / .223  (which it doesn't) then it won't apply to the 5.45.

Anyone bought .556 ss109 ammo lately ? It is legal.

EDIT : Thank You Andreuha atleast SOMEONE is paying attention !!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

gotcha

However the receivers are out there as we speak. Some people have been waiting for years to build them a 5.45mm AK pistol and now they are being told not to because of the Mil spec 5.45 issue. I think it will be very very hard to stop people from building the firearm of their choice after a 10 year ban. I think we are all pissin in the wind on this one.

OTOH a few people could fuck up the entire ammo supply due to their projects. History has proven that one, why do it again? Personally I don't see why the fuck anyone would want an AR/AK PISTOL. Makes no G-D sense to me, to each his own I suppose, but don't fuck everyone for YOUR benefit of having something "different". JMHO
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:29:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The reason SS-109 and M855 is still legal and available is that it doesn't have enough hardened steel in it to be affected by the ban.  Dedicated AP 5.56mm is.

.221 is one thousanth OVER the .22 limit....so 5.45mm would be affected!

Thank you for common sense..

.22= .22000000
5,45= .221

ONE THOUSANDTH of an inch.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Is it true that privately produced pistols won't have an effect, but only a production run offered by a manufacturer will lead to the ban on steel core 5.45?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Is it true that privately produced pistols won't have an effect, but only a production run offered by a manufacturer will lead to the ban on steel core 5.45?

Nope. Vague law. 7.62x39 w/ steel was banned as AP because of a documented PROTOTYPE AR-pistol.

BTW, as to the SS109/M855 analogy, the reason SS109/M855 is still legal is because it's very mild steel in the specs. Russian ammo isn't like that, and I can assure you, that the day the ATF gets wind of 5.45 pistols, you can kiss any hopes of imported Milsurp 5.45 goodbye.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#34]
How much of this steel core ammo is in country and how much is on the way or is all this just hear say?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Where is all of this Stell core ammo everyone is talking about??
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Oh My !

The Chinese/EG/ Yugo 7.62 ammo has a MILD steel core.

5.45 steel core ammo is mild steel as well.(the normal military bullet)

5.45 AP has a HARDENED steel core.

Two different birds.

OK from Rec.guns    FAQ :

4) CONSTRUCTION - The bullet must either have a core made ENTIRELY out
of one or more of the listed metals, or be a full jacketed type bullet
with a jacket comprising more that 25% of its weight.   Thus SS109/M855
.223 (5.56mm) bullets would not be covered, because their core is only partly
steel, and partly lead.   Lead is not a listed metal, and bullets with
cores made partly out of lead are OK.   ATF has expressly ruled that
SS109/M855 bullets are not covered.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#37]
The reason ss-109 and steel core 30-06 has not been bannned is because it has proven to be more accurate than lead core when used in CMP matches etc.  It has nothing to do with the amount of steel content. The director of the ATF was petetioned several years ago to release this ammo. The director of the ATF has the authority to exempt any round they see fit. There is a written letter on file stating such. I know of one major importer that has a contract on approx. 3 million rounds of true Russian steel core surplus. He is waiting to see what people ar going to do. If he buys it and someone builds a 5.45 pistol he is stuck with it. He can't get his money back. There is also a bunch more 5.45 surplus out there. Hopefully it will drop the price closer to 7.62 x 39 mm.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you."

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:16:50 PM EDT
[#38]
First of all I Apologize if I got little worked up see I ran out of my meds yesterday and may have lost it a few times. Any way I was thinking since I live in a class 3 state maybe I will just make the F---ing thing into a short barrel rifle and be done with it. I realing love the looks of the AK74u and just thought it would be cool as a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#39]
The receivers are out there as we speak and we all know the ATF says the receiver is the firearm. The day OOW made and registered the receivers as pistols was they day that a 5.45mm pistols was made according to ATF logic. It's not if someone builds it, it was built the day OOW registered it as a pistol.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 12:30:48 AM EDT
[#40]
That is unless the guns are never sold to the  public. Personaly I think the AFT should just ban god damn 5.45 as a pistol round, thus solving our problem. I would support something stating what exactly is a "pistol round" becuase in my eyes 7.62X39, .223 and 5.45x39 are not pistol rounds. Personaly, to make life easy any firearm that does not have the magazine in the handel should not be a pistol...
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:38:59 AM EDT
[#41]
"Personaly I think the AFT should just ban god damn 5.45 as a pistol round, thus solving our problem. I would support something stating what exactly is a "pistol round" becuase in my eyes 7.62X39, .223 and 5.45x39 are not pistol rounds. Personaly, to make life easy any firearm that does not have the magazine in the handel should not be a pistol... "

TO put it bluntly FUCK THAT

If they want to ban steel cored ammo because someone makes a 5.45 pistol , that is far sight better than getting into another assine AWB (or in this case Assault Pistol).

E Gads!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top