Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2004 9:27:54 PM EDT
Local gun/pawn shop (I know the owner really well) has a brand new blued mini 14 rancher with scope rings for 450$. I want it but seems like everything thinks they are very inaccurate....compared to an AR15....

Forget about ar15s for a second. This gun isn't gonna be a competition gun by any mean. This gun will probably get a red-dot or a low power scope and mainly be a deer hunting rifle. I'm sure it will get its share of range time just plinking. But overall this gun isn't going to be shot more than once or twice a day when I hunt with it.

I plan on getting 1 30 round mag for it. But that is it. Everyone talks about mag prices being high and they are. But I just want one to BS with. I live in WV...if anyone has been here you know you are lucky to be able to see a deer further than 50 yards anyways. So for what I am doing do you think a mini-14 would be a good rifle? It is really light and small...would be easy to carry.

Anyways let me know. If the mak90 wasn't so heavy I would probably hunt ith that...then again a mini-14 has to be more accurate than my mak.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:33:08 PM EDT
[#1]
no
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Any reasons why not?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't waste your money on the Mini-14 Ranch, Older Mini-14 GB would be good though
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:29:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I could almost get a ar15 for the price of a GB
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one, and have no reliability problems. It is actually very accurate for the first 3 shots (1.5"MOA) in a perfect little pyramid. Once the barrel heats up, it starts drawing a nice straight line to the left.  Unlike many others, I don't hate them. As for 30 round mags, get a PMI for about $40. They work great, I don't know where to find them, I pick them up here and there. If .223 is legal to hunt with, and you want one, go for it, I say.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't think about that. I think a .223 is legal I will have to check.

I am borrowing my dads friends mini-14 tomorrow. Gonna do some side by side shooting with my mak90 and see what happens. May be unfair...I got .223 winchester FMJ vs. 7.62x39 wolf FMJ. I was gonna get some .223 wolf FMJ to make it more even but nobody had any in stock.

But if it shoots really good when cold I may get one. Because for what I want that would be nice. If not I may try to get a ar15 I don't know yet.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Ruger was a major player in the Clinton AWBan.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:03:19 PM EDT
[#8]
For $450 Im sure you could find a better deer rifle than that but honestly I have only shot a mini-30 and have to admit it wasnt as bad as I have heard them to be but never understood the point when you can get a ak for about $200 less. Anyways take one out shoot it and if you like it then buy one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
AK is better, holds its accuracy better, has mags for a tenth of the price, and is tougher.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:18:22 AM EDT
[#11]
i have a mini14, AKM, AK74 and AR15 and of the 4 the mini is the

*least accurate
*the mags are the most expensive - i have several ruger 20/30 rounders, but if ya dont have any they are high now
*least reliable - works well with the ruger mags but with off brands look out, i got mine in '79 so i got some mags back in the day from ruger, $40 or so even in the late '70s
*hardest to find accesories for

*least 'cool' a subjective thing, but imho the AK/AR is a better designed rifle which are more ergonomic for the user
*imho mini's are ok if ya get a deal, but i would WWWAAAYYY rather have a romanian SAR1 or SAR2 or virtually any other AK/AKM/AK74 over a mini, goes X3 for the AR vs the mini.

get a AK and save some $$ and get a better rifle to boot
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:06:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I have had a Mini-14 Ranch for years.. never a reliability issue.. destroyed many varmints with it, but like the other poster said, it may not be legal for deer in your state. Accurate enough to maybe 50 yards, but I wouldn't trust it past that.

You might get better bang for the buck with something like an SKS.. legal caliber for deer (in MN anyways), far cheaper than the Mini... dirt cheap ammo that you probably already have..
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:06:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't notice the thing about deer hunting.  No way.  If it was a mini 30 maybe.  Unless WV has deer the size of puppies.   I would use the 7.62x39 before ever using a .223.  There is a deer round in .223 (Winchester 60 SP?)  If you want an inexpensive deer rifle get a Savage bolt gun, a Marlin 30-30 or as someone stated an SKS, or even a SAR/WASR in 7.62x39.  If you are going to hunt deer you don't want it running off to die somewhere.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:19:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Any reasons why not?

because the Mini-14 is a peice of shit, trust me I onwed one and quickly sold it
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:35:59 AM EDT
[#15]
The iron sights on the mini absolutely suck.  As mentioned above, aftermarket mags are a real crap shoot.  For the same money you should get an AK in 5.45.  The 5.45 AK will have cheap, reliable mags, cheaper ammo, and accessories (sp) are alot cheaper.  Also, have you thought about buying a post ban AR and fixing it up?  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:44:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The Mini is a good little rifle. .I have an older one... Can't speak for new ones.... Like stated for the first couple of shots youll' be fine. It is a decent design..... While not for everybody... The real deal Ruger mags  Law Enforcment Only (LEO) have came down in price since the ban was lifted. While Ruger don't sell direct to the public,  distributors buy them and sell to you. I have seen NIB ruger 30's for $32 ea. this past week with the ban dead and all. While the Mini isn't the best for shooting deer, niether is the AK. I would suggest a good Remington  700 or Winchestor Model 70 in .308 or 3006..  WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:47:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have one, and have no reliability problems. It is actually very accurate for the first 3 shots (1.5"MOA) in a perfect little pyramid. Once the barrel heats up, it starts drawing a nice straight line to the left.  Unlike many others, I don't hate them. As for 30 round mags, get a PMI for about $40. They work great, I don't know where to find them, I pick them up here and there.

I have a PMI mag I only loaded once that I am willing to sell for $30 plus Shipping if someone is interested.

Send me a message if you are interested.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:35:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:57:24 AM EDT
[#19]
The 1 thing the Mini has over the AK is the "PC" look of the Mini.  Beyond that, the AK kicks the snot out of the Mini in every other category.

I've had two Minis.  If I would have gotten AKs, I'd still have the AKs.  The Minis were sent down the road and I wouldn't take a Mini after a deer unless A) The barrel is replaced and the whole rifle is accurized and scoped. B) I was shipwrecked and it was all I had.

Sly

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I would never use a .223 for deer-sized game.  Not saying it can't/won't do the job, but it is definately NOT the ideal cartridge.

With that said, the Ruger rifle's main advantages over an AK-type weapon are better open sights and scope mounts.  The Mini's are plenty reliable, and accurate enough for what you want to do.

If you were asking about a Mini-30, I'd say go for it.  I just can't recommend a Mini-14 for deer hunting.

YMMV

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
i have a mini14, AKM, AK74 and AR15 and of the 4 the mini is the

*least accurate
*the mags are the most expensive - i have several ruger 20/30 rounders, but if ya dont have any they are high now
*least reliable - works well with the ruger mags but with off brands look out, i got mine in '79 so i got some mags back in the day from ruger, $40 or so even in the late '70s
*hardest to find accesories for

*least 'cool' a subjective thing, but imho the AK/AR is a better designed rifle which are more ergonomic for the user
*imho mini's are ok if ya get a deal, but i would WWWAAAYYY rather have a romanian SAR1 or SAR2 or virtually any other AK/AKM/AK74 over a mini, goes X3 for the AR vs the mini.

get a AK and save some $$ and get a better rifle to boot

But other than that, what's wrong with it?

I just love always reading the long list of  flaws admitted by the same people who always end up with "it's a good little rifle".
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I already have a MAK90....7.62x39. Checked and a .223 is legal to deer hunt with but it is a small caliber. I have a remington 30-06 semi-auto and a .270 savage...I don't know why but I do not like them. I am actually looking for a slightly smaller gun to hunt with. Thats why I was looking into the mini-14s. Because they were small, light, and shot a smaller round. I may look into getting a 5.45x39 ak to add to my collection. I don't know....my mak90 would be a real PITA to tote around the woods for any extended period of time. I work out everyday and run but if I carry that mak around all day then have to shoot it offhanded I bet its gonna be really unsteady.

I am gonna shoot that one today...see how bad it is. I expect it to be a pile of crap now...I haven't heard anything good about them at all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I had always wanted a Mini14 but then got a decent deal on a Mini30. I had a few problems with it and was kind of disappointed. I sold a few years ago. I'm not sure if I'd buy another one. For the price of Mini14 or 30, you start to get near the price that you could build an AR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I thought about building an AR. But I probably won't. I don't need it for anything...can't really hunt with it either. So I may just use my mak90 or pickup a bolt action .243
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Since you already own a MAK90 you've answered your own question. Install a muzzle brake, get a few extra mags or a drum, a scope mount and maybe a Kobra, then get a few cases of Wolf 154 gr sp and you're set. Consider a Moisin-Nagant 91-30 or a Finn 39, $150 at worst. Wolf makes a 200 gr sp and fmjbt match load. Paid 220/1000 last year.  Should cost less than a Rem 700 and a lot less breakage prone. Should include a nasty bayonet for good measure. I assume when you mean mainly for plinking, you infer to varmint hunting as possibly of the two legged variety.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I already have a muzzle break on the MAK. Plan on a ultimak and a red-dot probably. I have a reciever cover scope mount and scope but I do not like it. Not real solid and doesn't stayed zeroed to well. Plus I can't clean it. I think with a red-dot or scout scope my mak would be an ok hunting rifle. I may get a 10/22 for squirell hunting and plinking also. Its hard to tell what I will end up with.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#27]
How about a lever action?

Sounds like it might be well-suited for hat you want to do...

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a marlin 30-30...sold it. I didn't like it.

I may just get another bolt action rifle of some sort.

Dad is using the semi-auto 30-06 and I hate the .270.

I can't get it sighted in at all...not sure why.

I may look into getting a .243. Should be plenty to kill those poor whitetail deer.

If not I am just going to use my mak90 I guess. With a scope of some sort it would do well.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm getting the feeling somone doesn't care for the recoil.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#30]
No, spend a few $$ more & get an AR.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Could be an excuse to buy a 16" .308 Saiga and do a PG conversion?  With a rubber recoil pad it shouldn't kick too much and it's definately compact.  I definately wouldn't recommend a .223 for deer, even though it is possible to take them with it.

http://www.markii.org/images/s308r.jpg
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Could be an excuse to buy a 16" .308 Saiga and do a PG conversion?  With a rubber recoil pad it shouldn't kick too much and it's definately compact.  I definately wouldn't recommend a .223 for deer, even though it is possible to take them with it.

That would make a pretty good deer rifle just like it is I bet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Recoil sucks....I'm no pussy by any mean but I hate it. Plus I want something in a smaller caliber that could also function good for groundhog and coyote hunting. .223 would be good for those but it probably is alittle small for whitetail. I figure a .243 would do well for everything. If not I may use my MAK.

I didn't get that mini-14 to shoot today. Oh well.

I shot about 100 through my MAK it shot pretty well. Then about 10 through the 30-06 my dad will be using. It shoots great. Couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with the .270...

I want something that I can accurately shoot around 200 yards with. I figure a .243 should be good for that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#34]
A .243 is an excellent all around caliber.. my dad has taken hundreds of deer with one.. clean kills with the heavier bullets.. also good for varmints.. the lightest factory round I've found is a Winchester 55 grain at 4000 fps..

..back to 7.62x39

If you haven't already fired an SKS - try one! I have one of the Norinco "paratrooper" models made for the US market with a 16" barrel.. very compact and surprisingly accurate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Buddy has an sks and a wsar-10. It shoots ok but If I am gonna hunt with a 7.62x39 its gonna be my mak90. I am going to order an ultimak and a red-dot soon and see if I can get better accuracy.

Do they make any scopes that will work good with the ultimak? The reason I ask is because the scope or red dot is pretty far away from the eye.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:57:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Before you buy the ultimak I would suggest doing a pistol grip conversion.  I converted my mak and I have found it much more comfortable to shoot, and the us trigger group was a bit smoother.  Also I would suggest getting a mojo rear sight if you don't do well with the stock sights.  If you have any questions about my conversion just shoot me an IM.

Polytech
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:40:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I plan on converting it to pistol grip eventually. I have a choate dragunov stock now and it is really comfortable to shoot. I already got U.S. parts and all for the conversion. Just haven't got around to it yet. I'm actually waiting to see if any better side folders come out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top