Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/26/2004 6:24:10 AM EDT
Received an email from an ARFCOM member this morning pertaining to  my AK screw build thread tacked in the BIY forum. Seems somebody on Gunbroker took one of my pics from my thread and is using it to push the sale of their AK screw build assembly kit. Now I know I placed this info openly on the internet for all to see, but I just wonder if this jerk took my WHOLE set of pics and info and simply re-produced them to turn a profit for himself!

Anyone purchased this kit from this guy?

Gunbroker kit link

My thread tacked in the ARFCOM AK BIY forum.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:28:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I too would take this seriously,  he  is making (or trying to) a profit from work you did.

maybe you could fire a 'warning shot across his bow' with a letter to him and cc'd to gunbroker threatening him with legal action if he dosen't pull the pics down.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I too would take this seriously,  he  is making (or trying to) a profit from work you did.

maybe you could fire a 'warning shot across his bow' with a letter to him and cc'd to gunbroker threatening him with legal action if he dosen't pull the pics down.

Can I do anything legal? As far as I understand it, any pics posted openly on the web can be used as the person sees fit. I do not have copyrights to this info. It just burns my ass at the thought of somebody using my ENTIRE set of pictures AND build info, reproducing them verbatim and then trying to sell it! If he only used the one pic posted then no biggie.

Ya' try to be a nice guy and help out fellow builders and look what happens!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:04:53 AM EDT
[#4]
When did you take the pics?

If you took the pics, you are the "author" under US copyright law, unless you're under the terms of a "work for hire" contract.  Copyright protection attaches at the time of creation with special damages and rights IF you file your copyright with the Copyright office within 90 (IIRC) days of creation.  The fact that you didn't have a copyright notice on the pics provides an almost perfect defense for past infringements, but once an unknowing infringer is informed, you can prevent future infringements by the same party or at least hold them responsible.

If you took the pics recently, file for a US Copyright ASAP and write a cease & desist letter to Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When did you take the pics?

If you took the pics, you are the "author" under US copyright law, unless you're under the terms of a "work for hire" contract.  Copyright protection attaches at the time of creation with special damages and rights IF you file your copyright with the Copyright office within 90 (IIRC) days of creation.  The fact that you didn't have a copyright notice on the pics provides an almost perfect defense for past infringements, but once an unknowing infringer is informed, you can prevent future infringements by the same party or at least hold them responsible.

If you took the pics recently, file for a US Copyright ASAP and write a cease & desist letter to Gunbroker.

Yes I took the pics step by step as I built the kit, they are my work. But past 90 days. Like I said before if he's just using the one pic posted on GB then no big deal, but I wonder if he's using ALL my info posted and simply re-producing it for profit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:26:17 AM EDT
[#6]
send him a letter telling him that you claim the material as the legal author... ask him to stop or address licensing immediately -- go to the uspto and copyright the material if you think it is worth it. Remember, the inability to seek protection, due to fiancial inability, is generally not considered negligence on your part.

of course, people could email the other guy and tell him that they know he stole the material and that they are spreading the word not to deal with him... but that may be a little harsh

Heck, I would just ask him for a few kits in trade for using your pics...
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
He could be legit...he may actually sell the kits. Just never built one with it. But it sucks that he actually took your pictures instead of trying his own product out.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
i kinda am responsible for popularizing the screw-together ak build method...and i could care less who profits from my expirience. i put up a bunch of pics over at the dorknutz site back in 2000.

i don't know, or care, if my stuff is bng used for free or for profit.

man! i remember all the naysayers and crap that i got from guys saying that was never going to work! heheh!

and hundreds or perhaps thousands of ak's been screwed together since 2000.

i did my first screw-together in 1995 or 1996 using one of the $99 mak90 parts sets and a home made receiver...that seems like a lifetime ago.

Campy, I don't know if you remember since it's well over a year ago that I built my AK, but you helped me out alot with screw build info and I greatly appreciate it. If this guy makes a profit or not off the info I posted I could care less. I took pictures along the way during my build to simply document the process for myself. After seeing so many questions about screw builds, I thought I could pool all my info and info passed along to me by others, and assemble this into a step by step guide for the benifit of others wishing to build their own rifle. I did invest a good many hours collecting this data, editing photos and adding this info to the photos to make the instructions as clear as possible. Not to mention the numerous emails and IM's I've answered with questions from others stuck at some point in their build looking for help. I gladly answered every call for help knowing I too was in that same position during my build. I even recently answered email from the same individual that I think is using my pictures and instructions for profit!

I just think it's pretty rotten IF he simply took the info and pictures I posted here for everyone, ran off copies and tried to sell these as his own. I say IF because all I see he has used thus far is my one photo in his add on Gunbroker, but I can only guess he used more in this kit he sells. Hell, he could have at least used a little creativity and developed his own photos and documentation!

It just dosen't pay to try and be a nice guy..........greed really is powerfull.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I remeber you thread without even looking at it.. It was a wonderfull peice, that helped me through my first build..

I hope you nail the bastard...

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I remeber you thread without even looking at it.. It was a wonderfull peice, that helped me through my first build..

I hope you nail the bastard...

Thanks, I'm glad I could help...........that was my intent, to return the favor because others here have helped me in the past.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Pictures, graphics, whatever are EXCLUSIVELY the property of the creator.  You have to explicitly give permission to use your images.  I do website building along with my friend who is a graphic designer, and there are a lot of people who think that once they get a site they can steal the stuff from it and do what they want with it.  When you buy the rights to a stock image, they will ask you what it's for and charge you accordingly.  If you say you're going to put it on a third level page and it will be an inch square, that better be where the picture is.  If you put that picture on your front page, or make it larger, you will be prosecuted for breach of license.

This guy, much like your AK build, is "screwed".  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, what a lousy piece of shit!
If he has sold ONE such kit on gunbroker, you can (and should!) sue him for violating your intellectual property rights.
(Edit: Small-claims court is made just for this kind of stuff. I know the money involved may not matter, but it will make your point loud and clear).
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:42:58 PM EDT
[#15]
He's from Kansas...uh oh!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Im the one that sold the info. But give me a chance to explain myself. I am currently a student trying to pay outrageous tuition fees and the costs of living. I am only able to work 25-30 hours a week which if Im lucky might pay my bills and give me some cash for the savings account. I have found Gunbroker a way to help fund my projects. I started selling AMD parts kits to help pay some bills and was asked several times if I had any info on how to put the things together. I originally just printed off about 50 pages of info on about everything that I had involving the ak-47 rifle and would just throw it in with the AMD purchase. People would come along and ask if I would be willing to just sell the info of course I aggreed. All info I sold included where it came from and where it could be found. Anyways it wasnt even the info I was selling that I was giving them pretty much for free but I did have to charge something due to the fact that I had to pay .10 for every page printed on a public printer plus all the time involoved in packaging and shipping the stuff out. I sold three of these for $12 each and have been more than willing to donate this money to this site or any other organization that it could benifit. I know that this isnt going to make it as if it never happened but atleast I am trying to make up for it. I have emailed Quib and told him the very same thing. I dont blame you for thinking Im a dirt bag but I have ended the auctions and have been trying hard to make up for my mistakes. I have really enjoyed this site and have found it very helpful I know that I have betrayed he trust of Quib and others but I have tried my hardest to make it up to him and others. Anyways I just want to appologize and make it up to everyone. I dont expect anyone to feel sorry for me but I do regret what I did and do not plan on relisting the auction.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#17]
WoW! Well thedukeryan, you do have balls to post that. I dont really know what to say except , that $36 you made from selling that info needs to be sent to QUIB ASAP!

+1 for the confesion but a BIG -1 for using the info QUIB donated to everyone to make a buck.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can I do anything legal? As far as I understand it, any pics posted openly on the web can be used as the person sees fit. I do not have copyrights to this info. It just burns my ass at the thought of somebody using my ENTIRE set of pictures AND build info, reproducing them verbatim and then trying to sell it! If he only used the one pic posted then no biggie.

Ya' try to be a nice guy and help out fellow builders and look what happens!

As the creator of the pics you have copyright by implication.

Also, you have patent rights should you choose to apply for them, unless somoene else can demonstrate 'prior art', or that they came up with the idea first. Scratch that, Campy sounds like the inventor now...
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:09:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:46:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:14:13 AM EDT
[#21]
He stole everything.
You can still see the Ace arms logo on the template
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:46:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Glad you stepped forward..That took guts anough... Clear it with Quib and your cool with me.
But I too didn't know that you couldn't use pic's from other folk's... Im ignorant in that kinda stuff.  .... WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Go back and watermark your pictures and repost them.  Then if he's just posting from your site they will update.  I bet he is stealing your ban-width also.  You can also go to you website and use the controls supplied by your site to denied uses by the auction site.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#24]
thedukeryan publicly stepped forward and admitted his mistake. That takes a lot of guts and I commend him for that. He has apologized numerous times and I accept his apology. He has also offered to split the profits of the sales he made, which I declined. If I wanted to make money off my pictures and instructions I would have done it long ago. I put that info up to help others and repay ARFCOM members for the help they often gave me. Money was never a motivator.

Mike, you made a mistake. You corrected that mistake and sincerely apologized. I accept that apology. You promised to not re-list the info and I take you for your word.

Let’s assume this all never happened.  

Quib
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top