Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/25/2004 2:40:12 PM EDT
Well, it happens to be a C.U.R. 2.    A friend of mine decided to give it the old heeve ho, so I said I would take a look at it.   Interesting rifle.   It has the  mag dipples, and swept up 45 degree angle charging handle, also the FSB has the little pin in it and the muzzle is capped.  I don't know if there are threads underneath.   I also had the Romanian skeletonized laminated stock, but I already swapped it out with a folder and pistol grip and necessary U.S. parts.  

One thing  that puzzled me was that the trunnion ser. no., and orginal hammer, and safety lever had the same ser. no.
The bolt, dust cover and gas tube numbers all matched but were different numbers then the trunnion.   He said he was the original owner and that's how the numbers were when he bought it from the dealer several years ago.    

My question is:  Could that number mix up happen at the factory?

It was imported by INTRAC ARMS, KNOX TN
                               RATMIL,  MADE IN ROMANIA         ser no.    3-007xx  97

Oh, I gave him 3 bills for it and it also came with 4 EG bakelites and 1- 5rd romanian.
What do you guys think about the over deal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Heavymetal,
The number thing really baffled me, damn importers, it can't be that hard to keep the number/parts together.  I feel better that I am not the only one then.   By the way what does IIRC mean?
-vato
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#5]
HeavyMetal,
Any threads under the muzzlenut?  I am thinking about busting out the dremel tonight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:14:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Heavymetal,
The number thing really baffled me, damn importers, it can't be that hard to keep the number/parts together.  I feel better that I am not the only one then.   By the way what does IIRC mean?
-vato

If I Recall Correctly

If I Remember Correctly
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The CUR-2 rifles were the first AK rifles chambered for the 5.45x39mm imported. As you can see by the 97 stamped behind the serial number they were imported in 1997.  All have mixed parts and I have never seen or heard of one that had matching numbers. They are AK-74 rifles modified to semi auto with the FPK sniper rifle thumbhole stocks and a AKM front sights. As you can see under the Romanian parts on this web site the AKM front sight is on the left and the AK-74 front sight is on the right.
www.k-var.com/subcatmfgprod.asp?0=216&1=235&2=-1&6=1
The barrel is not threaded under the cap but is .508" in diameter. I have threaded the barrels on several of them 1/2-28 and screwed on AK-74 type muzzle brakes threaded 1/2-28 for AR-15 rifles. The muzzle brake retaianing pin and spring are in the front sight so keep up with the pin as it has nothing holding it in the front sight.
The CUR-2 rifles have the best fit and finish of any of the Romanian 5.45 rifles imported and what you paid was a good deal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks you all for the excellent info. I feel alot better knowning what I have.  Like I mentioned, a friend kept me in mind on this one.   Now it's time to get me some  more mags and a case of ammo and let the range party begin.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
HeavyMetal,
Any threads under the muzzlenut?  I am thinking about busting out the dremel tonight.

No, no threads remember the FSB is threaded 22mm on those.

+1
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Out of curiosity, I went to the safe and looked at my Intrac-imported "MkII" AK-74 (which also a 3-XXXXX-97 serial no), and it too has mismatched parts as described above. I never noticed, or paid it any mind up until now.  Learned somethin' new today!

I bought mine from Troy Sellars @ Inrange a few years back, and it came with the Romy honey laminate thumbhole on it, but had an AK-74 comp tack-welded to the FSB instead of just a muzzle nut.  I have since done the US-parts dance and converted it to a full-on AIMS-74 clone.

Having owned both the MkII and a SAR-2, I can tell ya that the MkIIs (and CUR-2s) are of much better quality. I like the authentic upturned bolt handle, too.  Ya done good!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I do like that  angled handle..
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:56:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top