Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2004 7:54:11 PM EDT
Hello, everyone.  I was just wondering about this.  I have a slant compensator on my AK and it has some wiggle in the threads and plunger when mounted.  I know this will not harm anything, but what I am wondering (why I sit around and come up with this stuff I dont know ) is if it will negatively impact accuracy, since the last thing the bullet passes by as it leaves the muzzle is a part which may move around a little.  I hope this makes sense, and isnt too stupid of a question.  Thanks for replies.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a spring loaded pin that detents into a notch on the muzzle device that keeps it from unscrewing itself...but on second look you already found this out for yourself.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
As HM said it is normal and the affect on accuracy is iffy. AK rifles are not capeable of sub 1" groups so how would you tell? Making it fit tight is easy to do with a file. Don't file the brake as unless you are really good you will file more off one side than the other. Lay a 10-12 inch long file on the bench and hold the brake flat on the file and pull it on the file. Keeping it flat on the file as you do. It will take a several timesof file/check the fit to get it to fit tight as a tick.
A trick to doing this is strip the plastic off a couple of bread twist ties  and tie them togeather. Then wrap them around the front sight and twist them tight to hold the muzzle brake retaining pin in flush with the front sight so it doesn't hang up on the muzzle brake when you are test fitting it.    
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Take the compensator off and wrap the threads with teflon tape. The heat shouldnt do anything to the tape as it is teflon.  Instant tight compensator. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As HM said it is normal and the affect on accuracy is iffy. AK rifles are not capeable of sub 1" groups so how would you tell?    

Yeah, thats about what I was thinking.  Wow, twist ties and files and teflon tape, you guys must watch a lot of Mc Gyver!  The Teflon tape idea sounds pretty easy, really so does the file.  I may have to play with that.  Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Take the compensator off and wrap the threads with teflon tape. The heat shouldnt do anything to the tape as it is teflon.  Instant tight compensator. Hope this helps.

What a great idea.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top