Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2004 4:08:21 PM EDT
I figured after dealing with AR's for ever, I would finally try out an AK-47.  The closet thing I have shot to one is a SKS.

Need advise on what the best is to get, most reliable, etc. for under $1,000.  Pre-89's also might be of interest.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 11:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Unlike AR rifles AK rifles are 100% reliable. It is a result of the loose tolerences built into the design of the AK rifle. So there is not really a most reliable model.
So the only thing that really seperates the different models of AK rifles besides barrel diameter/length and type of stock is the wood to metal fit and the finish on the wood and metal.
The best as far as fit and finish will be the Valmet,Yugoslavian,Hungarian,and Chinese Poly Tech pre ban rifles. It will be really hard to find any of the above in like new condition for under $1000.
But as far as function and reliability goes they aren't any better than any other model of  AK rifle.
If you are looking for a shooter any model AK rifle will do fine. Due to the loose tolerences of the design and the inconsistant currently imported ammo they won't be as accurate as a AR rifle.
The only AK rifles that you have to look at really closely before buying is the ones imported after 1997. As the number of rifles with the sights and gas blocks pressed onto the barrels crooked is pretty high.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:03:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Equipment Exchange for Atlantic Firearms and see the Vector built AK's.  They also have underfolders now for less than half you stated you would pay for a pre-89 rifle.  No sense paying that much for a rifle like an AK when you can get one newly built for so little.  But I would buy now in case a new ban comes along after the election.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#3]
There is also the SEAK II posted above with the Bulgarian parts set with side folder.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you 100% for 7.62x39 or are you looking at an KA in another caliber also.

I have a Maadi myself, got it for about $300 works great, even looks decent.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I have heard Robinson Armamant Vepr rifles are the best current production AK's out there.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top