Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 6:59:30 AM EDT
Hello, everyone.  In searching for info, i have come across so much conflicting and bad information about the strength and usable life of stamped reciever AKs.  Some say they will not last as long as a milled, others say they will last longer.  I know this is very relative, but with a good quality, properly heat treated stamped receiver, should you ever expect it to wear out?  Has anybody ever seen one that was worn to the point of being inoperable or dangerous?  Thanks in advance for replies, I hope I am not opening a can of worms with this, just really curious what those who know way more than me will have to say on the subject.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I think Campybob said it once- it'll outlast you, your kids and your kids' kids.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:25:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Stop and think about it for a second.

These are being fired FA for years, probably with little or no preventive maintenance, in some of the harshest environments on earth, without problem.

Do you really think you need to worry about it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
your great grand children will be shooting the kalashnikovs that you pass on to them.

the original ak...1949 thru 1951 or 1952 or 1953 (depending upon which 'expert source is being quoted) was stamped and riveted. even the lower rails were riveted on to the receiver shell.

well guess what? our soldiers found them in afghanistan...still functioning in a perfectly deadly fashion after 50 years of service...some of that time was spent in the hands of morons that still wipe their asses with their left hands.

taliban and al cojida are still using stamped ak's leftover from the russian invasion, on full auto
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Well guys, I guess I cant really argue with all of that!!  I was not really aware of the longivity some of those AKs were capable of in harsh environments for decades.  I guess it stands to reason my piddlin ass probably will not ever wear one out.  Thanks for the replies.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top