Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 2:06:55 PM EDT
An INTRAC imported Maadi was born with a butthole stock but was brought back to ca.1970's AKMS status. H/T/Sd are US-made semi G2, grip, handguards are Z_Recto, and slant brake is also US made for -89 compliance.  The magazine was made by political prisoners in China, but it is in the hands of a free American today.

Stock is Polish as was the trunnion - trunnion itself was used as a template for drilling with drill press.  Rivets installed with a 2# hammer, rivet buck from Boeing Surplus,  an old anvil, and a lot of sweat. Finish is black Rustoleum, which is a match for the Egyptian paint, but I intend to install or have installed a lower reinforcing plate and refinish properly. Enjoy!

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
how thin was the barrel at the muzzle before you threaded it?

I have a misr10 that I would like to do that to, but I tink the barrel is too small in the muzzle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Best Maadi rescue ever.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
SCHWING!!! Thats nice, love the handguards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:25:36 PM EDT
[#5]
That Maadi Looks Great!!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:39:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks great!

Personally I can't stand the underfolder AK when it comes to shooting them. I found the stock pretty useless for any sort of aimed fire when I had a pre-89 Polytech underfolder.

My Maadi just has the Ironwood furniture on it as part of its US parts count. It still need a slant brake. Who did you get the US made brake from?

I've also got a Maadi RPM coming in this week. Apparently it has a set of unfinished Ironwood furniture on it. Looking forward to that one.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:53:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking Maadi you've got there - that Ironwood stuff is nice.

Notso, the barrel of the rifle had a muzzle nut tack-welded on when I bought it in 1996. (?).  Out came Mr. Dremel. The muzzle nut was threaded on; the rifle had the standard threads and plunger/pin on the front sight.  This was an all-Egyptian rifle originally.

I got the US made brake from Stock Options (now long gone) around the same time but never put it on until this week, when I cut the welds off the muzzle nut. You can't really tell, but that part is blued, with a little paint I put on myself.  

I was looking this morning in/re another project, and it looks like Global Trades has the cheapest US-made slant brake right now.

Thank you all for the compliments.  Z_Recto down in the Carolinas (I forget which one) does lovely work with laminate (and other) woods.  It all has little "US" stamps inside, and is VERY nicely made and authentic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:05:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone know how to un-neuter the bayonet lug onto an AK? I'd like to put a bayonet under my SLR95-mb but with no bayo lug it's impossible....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
That's awesome!  

One thing though,  I'd put a European mag in it just to have the authentic rib on the back.    I figure since you took this much time you might as well not have the ribless chinese mag.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#12]
AAAAAAAAAAH HAIRY FEET!!!! RUN!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:23:36 AM EDT
[#13]
A coupla quick response - Z_Recto is a guy who sells on another well-known AK board, infamous for some of the behavior of its members. He restores/modifies imported wood to a very Soviet look, and also makes his own (US-made, 922 compliant) furniture -what you saw above, mock-Hungarian wood, etc. Stamps it "us" and does great work (as you can see).

Mag - yeah, I actually like East German mags the best, and need to get a couple of those really black Bulgarian ones for my SA93 buildup.  I got these chicom mags in a deal - was walking past someone's office where I worked a few years ago and overheard "seven sixty two by thirty-nine" and popped in later to talk to my new gun nut co-worker. He had just sold his AK and had about a case of ammo and four mags, which I bought at fire-sale rates ($4 a mag, and probably 1/2 off the ammo actual cost to him).  So they are my range mags.

They do seem to fit a little tight, sometimes tough getting the mag release free/unlatched - a problem I did not have with the DDR mags.  What should I sand/dremel? Note that this rifle is an INTRAC Maadi import, not a MISR, so it was originally set up for the standard (30-rd) cap mags - basically the only difference between it and today's SAR-1, as imported ,was tack welded muzzle nut and butthole stock.

And yeah, that's my hairy foot ;)
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:23:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Z-recto is over on the other AK board. He makes and refinishes AK wood. His stuff is great.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:38:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I am a long time lurker, but I never posted here.
Lumpy196,
Shoot me an e-mail if I can do anything for you.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]
well at least I'm not the only one here with hobbit feet

nice rework on your MAADI, I should be converting my MAK-90 to something similar soon as I have an early underfolder reciever with a butthole stock.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top