Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 9:32:56 PM EDT
After careful research and thinking I've decided to put off the M1A, FAl, and AR15 and go with the AK for my first nasty AW... I went to the SLC gunshow and found crap but on the way we stoped at a gunshop and found two romainian SAR1s for $330.00. I don't know much yet about the AKs but I am learning and I am thinking this might be a good AK to start with and a decent price.

What is the general opinion on Romanian AKs?  Should I wait and see what else pops uP? I hear that the SAR2s are also great... One guy tried to convince me they are the only way to go.

I plan to make it as evil as I can and as soon as I figure out this U.S. part thing I'll make sure I keep it legal at the same time.

What folding butt stock works best on the the Romanian? I like the "under folding" stock I found on K-Var but I don't know if I can put it on a Romanian... I wouldn't mind going with the Romanian wire but stock if I need to.

I hear one can do anything with a AK as long as you have a few tools, like a small grinder.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
$330 isn't bad for a SAR1  that you can inspect first.   pick the one with the straightest sights and go from there.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#3]
As stated above,thats a good price on a SAR 1,go for it! Welcome To The Dark Side!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:20:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies! What is a FSB? Front Sight Base? I saw a bunch of the Romanian side folders at the gun show yesterday and I like them but I read on other posts a lot of negative comments about them. So I thought I would go with something else. Well, I've made up my mind... I think I will go out and get on of them tomorrow when the shop opens.

What do you guys think about the SAR2... Is the 5.? round better?

Thanks

I am beginning to feel very dark
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Campybob... According to your last post if I add a muzzle device then I need to add another US part... But what if the muzzle device is made in the US?

This is what I have found in my research:

That's a key phrase there. You can't just slap on some US doohickies and go. You have to replace parts that were on the original rifle with made in the US ones. That's why it works in our favor that the butthole stocks are counted as 2 parts during the parts count for importation. If it were only counted as one part you would be adding another part to the total count when you put a pistol grip on. It could easily be offset by adding a US pistol grip, just like a made in the US muzzle brake will, in effect, offset itself but it would add an additional twist to an already convoluted subject.

This only makes it more confusing.

I have a US made muzzle brake and a Romanian side folder on the way.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:33:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Parts Count Question...

The link above shows the parts which count.

AFAIK, if the muzzle device is US made your good to go.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
You're good to go with your US made muzzle break as you're not replacing a part,just adding one.The Romy sidefolder is a go also,you're replacing an imported part with one.The key is not to add more imported parts than is permissable.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#10]
One more thing... The SAR1 I've got has a slightly canted gas block... I have read that if it is off just a little then it is fine... Also, some day when I get around to it I plan to strighten it out using the instructions from Linx310's Romanian website.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful... I've been to some forums where everyone jumps on you for asking basic questions like these. Questions that have probably been asked many times already. I do as much research as I can before asking but I still like to get a little input to verify and clear things up.

I can't wait till I get the side folder and brake... Just wish the wait on the threading kit wasn't so long. Oh well
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies! What is a FSB? Front Sight Base? I saw a bunch of the Romanian side folders at the gun show yesterday and I like them but I read on other posts a lot of negative comments about them. So I thought I would go with something else. Well, I've made up my mind... I think I will go out and get on of them tomorrow when the shop opens.

What do you guys think about the SAR2... Is the 5.? round better?

Thanks

I am beginning to feel very dark

SAR-1 or SAR-2??

Buy Both!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
The gas block on my SAR-1 leans to the right (like me ) and the front sight base leans ever so slightly to the left.  The rifle is 100% on function and for some strange reason it hits every thing it's aimed at.  
It's kind of like dents and scratches on a pickup truck - it adds character and chicks dig it!!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Well if it functions fine then I wont worry about the slightly canted gas block... Has anyone here actually fixed a leaning gas block?  As for my FSB it is straight as can be.

Ripcode... I plan to get an SAR2 to keep the SAR1 company, but they seem to be hard to find around here... And I hear the ammo is hard to find.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:18:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:07:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome to the dark side!

If you know where a SAR 2 is, you may want to consider picking it up-they haven't been available in mass in quite a while.

As far as 5.45 ammo, no one in Utah will carry it on a consistent basis(apparently there aren't enough 5.45 owners that shoot the quantities I do to keep it in stock ).
It can be ordered for a reasonable price on line, or every time the gun show comes to town, I pick up a case or two.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Has anyone here actually fixed a leaning gas block?  As for my FSB it is straight as can be.

Yes I have following the info on the linx sight it turned out very nice.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top