Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/16/2004 5:54:46 PM EDT
I have a Tapco SAW grip that came in a trade.  I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed by any means, but this thing has me puzzled...I'm not sure if I have an AK or FAL version.  It came with a little block of aluminum, a 2" screw, washer, and the grip.  The screw is insanely long and would touch the selector if I were to use it, so I'm guessing this is some bubba screw that the guy threw in?  The little aluminum block seems to fit into a slot in the top of the grip, but again...it seems bubba...like the guy was trying to fit a FAL version to an AK?  

Anyway, can someone confirm my sanity and post the accessories that come with an AK SAW grip from Tapco?

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe you have the AK version and the adaptor block goes inside the grip then the lock washer then the screw.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:25:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Should the screw be that long?  I think I can see where the aluminum goes (inside the grip...kinda on top of the 'shelf'), but that doesn't do anything for the length of the screw.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Is the adaptor oriented like this:
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You have the correct one. I put mine on a few days ago. Tapco has direction on their site if you can't figure it out.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe these grips Tapco sells ARE FAL grips that they have modified for AK's. It took me a good 30 minutes to figure out how to install it since it came with no instructions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!  That sure isnt' where I was putting the aluminum block.  Yeah, I agree...I think this is a bastard child grip from Tapco, because the engineering just seems odd with the aluminum block and all.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe these grips Tapco sells ARE FAL grips that they have modified for AK's. It took me a good 30 minutes to figure out how to install it since it came with no instructions.

Same here, I was about to give up before figured it out .
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:20:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually, that is how the Hungarians attached the plastic grips to the 65's.  At least that is how my kit came configured.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:02:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the Tapco SAW grips on my AKs and I like 'em. However, after installation I did epoxy the aluminum adapter block in place to ensure it doesn't shift.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've got the Tapco SAW grips on my AKs and I like 'em. However, after installation I did epoxy the aluminum adapter block in place to ensure it doesn't shift.
Tomac

And make sure to loc-tite that screw! If not it'll move after a few range sessions.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top