Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/15/2004 8:55:55 PM EDT
OK....

I know the AWB is gone...for now anyways.

But here is my question. I bought a MAK90 less than a year ago. I was wondering if it is legal for me to add a sidefolder. I'm confused. Are all guns bought prior to september 13, 2004 pre-ban? Or is there gonna be a window between 1994-2004 were guns imported during that time are consider post-pan and guns bought after september 13, 04 gonna be pre-ban?

I'd like to know the answer before I go throwing something together just to find out its very illegal. But then again the law is so vague its hard to tell.

If I can put a sidefolder on I'm gonna do that, get a ar15 style pistol grip (BTW were can I get one??) an ultimak rail system with a laser dot. Maybe even get a 3 rail system in the future for a nice bi-pod, vert grip, and maybe even a flashlight lol.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:12:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The AWB is dead , think of it as if it never was.

You can put a folding stock on your MAK-90.

You must , however make sure that you have no more than 10 (specific) foreign made parts in the rifle.

Add 5 (without muzzle device) or 6 (with muzzle devce ) US made parts , and you will be 100% legal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]
So I cannot add more than 10 parts on the gun that are foreign? Lets see...I have a ak74 muzzle break and a choate stock now. I guess thats two U.S. parts? I would appreciate it if you could elaborate just a hair more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:48:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok here is another stupid question...sorry.

Ok, I'm assuming even though I have more than 10 foreign parts now that my gun is still legal?
If so why would adding a folding stock make it illegal?

So far I have 2 US parts. The ak74 muzzle break , and the choate stock. I will probably get rid of the back part of the stock but leave the handgaurds in place.

Here is what I'm getting from this. I cannot add any MORE foreign parts to my gun unless I first add enough U.S parts?

I guess If I decide to do this I will add the ergo pistol grip from riflestocks.com that would give me 3. Then porbably a bolt assembly. And I will have to figure out another one.

BTW thanks for the reply...if I would have asked I could have got myself in way to much trouble.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:14:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Been a while since I gave this speech, so bear with me.

If it's a milled receiver MAK-90 you need to have 4 US parts, if stamped 5 US parts, from the following list for the AK (+1 on all parts counts if you are adding a muzzle device).

For an AK the simplest things to swap out are:

Fire control group (Hammer, trigger, sear) - 3 parts
Furniture  (stock, pistol grip, upper/lower handguards) - 3 parts
Gas piston - 1 part

Swapping other parts out for American made (reciever, trunion, barrel, bolt, carrier, are also qualifying parts) is pretty difficult.

So, if you plan on making the rifle a folder, you currently have zero US parts count (ignore the brake).

If you want to add a non-US underfolder, I suggest you get a new FCG from RSA (3 parts), the pistol grip you like (1 part), and a set of US made handguards (1 part). You'll then be good to go woith your US made brake and a chinese/russian/romanian/etc folding stock.

This is my MAK-90 with a folder:

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:22:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Choate is US right? I have the choate handguards already.

Its funny that you can go buy this gun anywhere but when you buy it its illegal. Thats funny. My buddy has a WSAR-10 that was taken after it was involved in an accidental discharge, They did not keep it...the cops didn't even know what kind of gun it was.

Anyways I was looking on tapco and for 59.99$ they sell a combo of parts that count as 5 compliance parts. Between those and my front grips I figure I would be ok then. I'll probably go ahead and get US followers for all of my magazines. Cheap and easy insurance I guess.

BTW..which is better double or single hook triggers.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#8]
BTW the speech helped. I understand now that all foreign guns are supposed to have 5 U.S parts. And I'm assuming for every foreign part added a U.S part must also be added correct.

Actually as I stand right now I guess I have 3 compliance parts. The choate front handguards, rear stock, and the muzzle break.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok I get it now. I was thinking about going ahead and ordering a RSA trigger group now. Go ahead and get the gun legal before something stupid happens and I go to prison. I just saw the telestock on RSA's side...I'm thinking hard about getting that instead. With a rsa trigger group, us pistol grip, us front handguards, us rear stock, and us muzzle break I should definetly be safe.

BTW thanks for the help. I'm glad I found out about this or I never would have known.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in huntington/barboursville area.

BTW what is better single or double hook triggers? I was gonna order a RSA trigger but they are pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:24:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Yea you are. Charelston is only half an hour away.

Just ordered the double hook gr2 kit from tapco along with a us gas piston and a usa foller for my 5 rounder (makes it a 10).

BTW thanks for the help everyone.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Someone just informed me that a WSAR-10 with a thumbhole stock is legal without us parts.

If thats true I bet my mak90 was...since it is a MAK90 "sporter" and came with a thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:13:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#17]
I didn't see that they had 20 rounders for that cheap. I probably should have ordered a couple but oh well. I just need 2 more 30 round mags to fill my tactical case up. I even thought about getting a double or triple mag clamp that poly tech sells. 6$ is the cheapest Ive seen.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#18]
The TAPCO 4.99 mag deal is over now. They posted the price at 9.99 for the 20rd mags at their website. I bought 7 of them at the sale price. Not like I really needed them...

OK, here's my stupid question... what about the SAR1 rifles???? Can I put a Romanian folder on a SAR1 that came with a pistol grip and Romanian stock? I'm assuming that the pistol grip is a US made part. I'm not familiur with the US parts count in the postban SAR1's. Could someone please help me out with this info?
Many thanks!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#19]
goddamit!!! reading all that shit made my eyes bleed!

i wonder...now that the awb is dead (for now), what's the chance we'll start going after all these other mickey mouse bullshit 5 parts, 3 parts, counting this and that, federal fucking felon by miscount laws???
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#20]
i think my brain just leaked out my ear...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]
One minor technical point.  You can have an AK with a folding stock and no US parts at all.  You just can't be the one who put it together that way.

18 USC 922(r) says "It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection."  There's no law against possession of an illegally assembled rifle.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:06:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Isn't a little friendly competition shooting between freinds a "sporting purpose" ??????

My thanks for the response to my question and to SickMAK90 for letting me ask it in his thread!!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:32:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Come to find out my buddies WSAR-10 should already have the 5 parts it needs. But my MAK90 was imported with all chinese parts. Only reason its legal is because of the thumbhole stock.

So I ordered a trigger  group and a gas piston. Now I should definetly have enough.

Now I can't decide if I want a side folder for a AR15 telestock. mmmmmm AR47
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#25]
How's this???? If you're interested, I'm your man for the conversion kit at a discounted price!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top