Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/15/2004 5:59:41 AM EDT
Can someone enlighten me as to the ballistic properties of the 5.45?  I have a pending deal on a full auto AK in 5.56, and was thinking about going to 7.62, but I'm starting to wonder about 5.45 now.  How does this round stack up to 7.62 or 5.56?  Is it as dependant on velocity as 5.56 for proper fragmentation?  It would be either from a standard length barrel or possibly a longer RPK - I'm probably not going to a short krink type.  FWIW, I already have a couple M16's so as far as I'm concerned keeping it in 5.56 is out of the question; I wanted something with a bit more punch than a 5.56.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer my 5.45s to my 7.62s.  Its a flatter shooting, less recoiling round.  Everything thing I've shot with it has died.  I cant say the same for the 7.62 and really really cant say the same for 5.56.  

7.62 is an excellent round, especially since its cheap.  Its got good power behind it and is available everywhere.  The russian ammo just likes to punch through things, it has EXCELLENT penetration ability.  It'll go through more than a foot of live oak.  The winchester stuff is better for hunting since the soft tip will actually expand, but I doubt you're buying FA for hunting since its legality is questionable.  The 7.62 definately needs the slant brake for anywhere near controlability while the 5.45 is much easier to shoot.  

7.62 can be had for $70-$90 per 1000
5.45 can be had for $85-$95 per 1000

The 5.45 FMJ is a real beast.  It kills much better than the HP.  Ive had the 5.45 exit ground hogs and other such small 3-10 pound game and thought it ice picked them.  Upon further inspection it turned everything between the entrance and exit into pudding.

VERY VERY VERY deadly round.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Hummmm,...

Not trying to fan the flames of controversy,..but,... that ammo "net cost" difference 'tween the "39s" is getting VERY narrow. I would not purchase a 7.62 based solely on advantage of price.

From my vantage point it appears we may see "price parity" soon in all 39 'cept corrosive mil-surp.

And we may see 5.45 surp too!

Just guessing!...Bob
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 1:09:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I love 5.45!!!! And you'll end up with both in time anyway...MUHAHAHHAAA!!!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top