Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 10:16:46 AM EDT
Has anyoneelse ran into a problem installing your Romainan Folder that should have taken ten minutes?  Both of the screws that were sent with the stock are messed up.  The long one that mounts under the recoil spring assembly will not go into the recess all the way and is blocking the recoil spring guide that has the button on it for taking the rifle apart.  The other screw is too long so when it is tightened it binds the stock from folding.  This is just fucking great.  I've waited this long and now the damn thing doesn't work.  I will try to file down the recoil spring guide and see if that will work since I have extras.  I will also file down the other screw that is too long by about and 1/8th of an inch.  I guess I will also go to some hardware stores later to see if I can maybe just find some replacement screws.  This is very frustrating.  How hard could it be for the Romainans to get the freaking screws right.  Rant off.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:45:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes.., I had that same problem with both of mine.  
Easy fix,  put the  forward screw in a drill chuck & run the head across a file a few times, then take the rear screw & grind .10" or so off.., making sure you keep it square!! As with any machine screw, be carfull not to OVER-tighten!!

I know you shouldn't have to do this..., but that's life "on the dark side!!"
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
stupid question but......is it now legal to put a folding stock on an SAR 1?
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you can put a folding stock on a SAR-1. The assault weapons ban sunsetted today...

Also, why are you guys using machine screws in a plastic stock? Why not use the screws that came with the original stock? If you have to drill the holes to fit the gun. it seems machine screws wouldn't work anyway.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, you can put a folding stock on a SAR-1. The assault weapons ban sunsetted today...

Also, why are you guys using machine screws in a plastic stock? Why not use the screws that came with the original stock? If you have to drill the holes to fit the gun. it seems machine screws wouldn't work anyway.

The authentic Romy folders are metal, & should just bolt right on, IIRC...

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:03:20 AM EDT
[#6]
The stock isn't plastic, its all metal.  Thanks for the info guys.  I figured that was what I would have to do.  The only tools I have to work with are a vise, file, and Dremel.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The compliance parts count is still in effect. Back to the drawing board with my sidefolding bulgy kithinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I got the stock installed.  I had to cut the short screw with a Dremel tool.  I used one of the thin cutting disks to do it, It worked great and took less than 2 minutes.  The longer screw just need about a minute or two work with a file to the top of the screw.  Anyway, the stock is one and I'm pleased with it.  My only complaint is that it is not very freindly to left handed shooting.  Now I have to get my FSB off and replace it with something threaded.  I don't know if I'll be able to tackle that one.  Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:55:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I used the 5mm screws for the EG folder available from AA-OK. Fit perfectly in the front screw hole but need to be trimmed about 1-2 threads to fit in the rear hole w/o binding the folder.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:08:42 AM EDT
[#11]
My Rommy folder came with screws via Tapco. I tried to install it on my SAR1 and or SAR2 last night.

Stock fit the SAR1 first time with no problems.

Stock fit the SAR2 but I had to tighten down the front (long) screw a lot to get the recoil spring assembly to go home.

However, the short screw had no hole in it. So the threads were there, but there was no way to install it with no hole for the allen wrench in the screw.

I just ordered some more. Tapco has them on the webpage, but not in the current catalog.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top