Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 5:05:15 PM EDT
Some of the guys around here never clean their AKs. I am new to the family and have only put about 500 round through my Mak90 so far. All I have done is wipe out the receiver with some CLP and squirt a little oil on the new FCG.

I may snake the bore after another 500 rounds.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Why the hell would you clean it??? Everybody knows AK's are immune to all foreign
debis. I once buried mine in the sand for 2 months - shot better than ever!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Rarely.

Prefer to just wipe the outside down to prevent rust.

Even when I do, it's a pretty quick clean.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I clean my SAR1 after each time I go to the range.  I can't stand knowing that I have a gun in the safe that isn't clean.  I have woke up out of a sound sleep and had to go down and clean a gunthat I know I haven't shot in 6 months.  

I guesss i'm anal about it like obershutze916.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:18:55 PM EDT
[#8]
once in a while I do, but not very often.  I do shoot some brake cleaner in the action and oil it a little
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Break down and cleaned very well after every shoot. Weather it's 40 rounds or 400 rounds.. Sorry but it's got to be clean...... WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a very expensive (as AKs go) AK104, and I havne't cleaned it since I got it.  Why would you bother?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I may have found a gun that can be comapared to an AK for ability to fire after lack of main. I mentioned in another thread I bought a Cobray M11/9 at the fun show yesterday. A little detail about this gun: I bought it a a gunshow in Atlanta, it was on teh "junk gun" end of a larger dealers set up, on one aisle they had literally a huge pile of rifles almost all of wich had police evidence tags still attatched, the pistols were on the other aisle, same tags (well they had several Stainless S&W autos that didn't have evidence tags but were stamped with Atlanta PD markings, the Cobray was in the middle of these junk pistols, I picked it up asked the price was told $200, knowing that I could get a fine weapon such as a HIpoint carbine for that kind of jack, I told them nogo and haggled them down a good bit. Got the ghetto blaster home, looked it over a bit better (I already knew it had a bit of light rust all over the outside) it was not much better inside, no rust but this gun had not been cleaned in a LONG, long, time there was more crud and carbon in that thing than I had ever seen in any gun in my life. So how long did it take me to clean it you ask? I don't know I put it back together (had to cut a piece of innertube to make a recoil buffer because the one in it disintegrated when I took it out), sprayed the outside down with Remoil and wiped it down with a paper towel. This morning I took my new ghetto blaster out back  loaded its mag and rapid fired the entire mag without a single malf, thinking it was an aborition I reloaded the mag and did it again, no jam on the second mag. Any gun that can fire that dirty after spending who knows how long in an impound locker, and who knows how long in a crack house (its tag stated "type of offense: Susp of cont. sub"), and still run like a clock is a tough son of a bitch. The only bad thing about buying and firing this gun, is that now I am going to have to get a class III version soon, good thing I live in a NFA friendly area.

I wondered how that thing worked.  Now make you a thread on Bayonet.

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I run a few patches down the bore and wipe clean/oil the inside of the receiver and FCG after every range trip, not so much because I have to but because I don't want to leave my babies all dirty.  It may be reliable as hell but you can still treat them with some respect...
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:04:11 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 blast it out with brake cleaner occasionally (wear your shooting glasses for this, that stuff is under a lot of pressure).

Let dry (happens very fast).

Quick spray with Triflow (a.k.a. CLP).
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#14]
My friend  meticulously (sp?) cleans his sar1, for like and hour after every time we go shooting. Last time I cleaned my romak1, I ran three patches, wiped the outside with some rem-oil.... that was after about 2,000 rounds. I have actually got this weapon to fail once, by not cleaning the gas tube for about 5,000 rounds. Solved that with a toothpick. I suggest always cleaning after firing corrosive ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:12:41 AM EDT
[#15]
just dunk it in the nearest pond, river or road ditch, shake it out and its good as new
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I clean my SAR1 after each time I go to the range.  I can't stand knowing that I have a gun in the safe that isn't clean.  I have woke up out of a sound sleep and had to go down and clean a gunthat I know I haven't shot in 6 months.  

I guesss i'm anal about it like obershutze916.

+1
me too
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#17]
I decided I wasn't going to spend any real time cleaning my SAR1 when I bought it. It's an AK for goodness sake.

But now that I'm about to send it off to be "restored" I can't stand the idea I'll be sending a dirty gun off. ~400rds Wolf. I'm going to have to clean it. I've got too much pride.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:35:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a bucket of water nearby when I shoot the AK so when it gets hot, I dunk it. I reckon this cleans it some, I don't really know.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I tend to clean guns more out of enjoyment then neccessity, and since three out of four of my AKs are custom guns, I think it's a good idea just to keep them in good shape.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got 10 builds from AK-USA. You bet they get cleaned after every trip to the range. I like to protect my investment.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:07:17 AM EDT
[#22]
I just cleaned mine after 450 rounds, I got really bored and there was nothing to do...so I cleaned it
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:28:19 AM EDT
[#23]
About every other time I go shoot I clean mine...But the Chinese are dirty little f!@#*%'s anyway...LOL
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I have an SAR1 that I fired about 500 rnds of Yugo ammo that I had bought at a Fun Show.  Ammo was supposed to be non-corrosive.......Wrong!!!  The rust had cause the piston to jam in the gas tube.

Solution?  Take rifle, place buttplate on basement floor, take size 11 boot and kick the charging handle like you're starting a motorcycle.  Take to range,  fire a few hundred more rounds,  wash out gas tube, place in safe.  Rinse, Repeat.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:06:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have a bucket of water nearby when I shoot the AK so when it gets hot, I dunk it. I reckon this cleans it some, I don't really know.

I used to shoot with some other guys in a creek bed near where I grew up. There was one guy with a Norinco who would shoot it until it was so hot the barrel would start changing color. Then, he would toss it it a muddy puddle and it would hiss and steam like crazy. After a couple minutes, he would retrieve the rifle, rack the bolt a couple times, shake it off, and start shooting again.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I clean mine pretty regularly.  I guess the matter is that I live in the city so I either go to the range or out to my land about a 1/2 hour drive away to shoot.  When I get back home it's either clean the guns or mow the yard/do the dishes/listen to the wife etc.  Hmm, somehow my guns seem to get cleaned fairly often!

Sly
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I have to clean my Ak religiously, as the ammo I have is corrosive, and it already ate up my upper handguard/piston area when I forgot to clean that area once.

Now my AR, I don't clean every session, unless I don't plan to go to the range for awhile.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Clean AK why? That is the only gun I dont have to worry about cleaning. Every other guns gets cleaned when nessisary. The AK, well i get bored sometimes........
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:42:02 AM EDT
[#29]
You fella's make me feel bad....I'm going to clean all my guns right now!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I may have found a gun that can be comapared to an AK for ability to fire after lack of main. I mentioned in another thread I bought a Cobray M11/9 at the fun show yesterday. A little detail about this gun: I bought it a a gunshow in Atlanta, it was on teh "junk gun" end of a larger dealers set up, on one aisle they had literally a huge pile of rifles almost all of wich had police evidence tags still attatched, the pistols were on the other aisle, same tags (well they had several Stainless S&W autos that didn't have evidence tags but were stamped with Atlanta PD markings, the Cobray was in the middle of these junk pistols, I picked it up asked the price was told $200, knowing that I could get a fine weapon such as a HIpoint carbine for that kind of jack, I told them nogo and haggled them down a good bit. Got the ghetto blaster home, looked it over a bit better (I already knew it had a bit of light rust all over the outside) it was not much better inside, no rust but this gun had not been cleaned in a LONG, long, time there was more crud and carbon in that thing than I had ever seen in any gun in my life. So how long did it take me to clean it you ask? I don't know I put it back together (had to cut a piece of innertube to make a recoil buffer because the one in it disintegrated when I took it out), sprayed the outside down with Remoil and wiped it down with a paper towel. This morning I took my new ghetto blaster out back  loaded its mag and rapid fired the entire mag without a single malf, thinking it was an aborition I reloaded the mag and did it again, no jam on the second mag. Any gun that can fire that dirty after spending who knows how long in an impound locker, and who knows how long in a crack house (its tag stated "type of offense: Susp of cont. sub"), and still run like a clock is a tough son of a bitch. The only bad thing about buying and firing this gun, is that now I am going to have to get a class III version soon, good thing I live in a NFA friendly area.

Thats good to know.  I have an M11 with the rock and roll setting on its way to me now.  I'm glad I got the one I got instead of an uzi.

Ive got 2 SAR1s and 2 bulgy 74s.  Everyone gets a clean bore before firing again and the bulgys get a little more attention.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top