Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 6:13:54 PM EDT
After about 5000 rounds, my SAR-1 developed a horrible case of the upper handguard wobbles.  The movement was not a forward-backward motion but more of a side to side as the gas tube could rotate a bit in its seat in both directions.

Searching for a permament solution (aside from moving back the gas block back ), I thought of putting the little retaining springs common on AK-74 rifles on my SAR-1.  Mike @ ORF sent me one to try out but told me that it may not fit as the '47 gas tube did not have the little notches cut in it to accomodate the spring.

But after a lot of effort, and sore thumbs, I got it on there.  I just relieved a bit of the "bend" in the spring, making it a bit flatter, and therefore easier to get on.  But now that it is on I would say that it has gotten rid of 95% of the wobble in the upper handguard.  So anyone out there looking for a good solution, I suggest giving this a try.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
got a picture?

For you, anything.  

I will get some up this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's the only pic I could muster so far.  Hope it helps!

You can see the small lip on the bottom.  I looped the spring under there and then forced the top half over the top of the gas tube.  It took some effort and some bending of the spring but it worked.  Mike @ ORF is going to send me another so I can try it on another gun.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump for Campy.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top