Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/9/2004 3:16:29 AM EDT
I shoot tactical rifle at local matches, where usually only one mag change is needed during the course-of-fire. The Cen Dex single-mag belt carrier a got for shooting my AR is too narrow for the AK mags, so I need something else. Also though, I'd be interested in options for more real-world, drag-out, SHTF-scenario applications requiring a multiple-mag carrier.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I shoot tactical rifle at local matches, where usually only one mag change is needed during the course-of-fire. The Cen Dex single-mag belt carrier a got for shooting my AR is too narrow for the AK mags, so I need something else. Also though, I'd be interested in options for more real-world, drag-out, SHTF-scenario applications requiring a multiple-mag carrier.

Any suggestions?

A Drum ?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If just one mag change is required,tape two mags together.Put a 1" piece of wood between the mags and drop the right mag to clear the ejection port.A mag change can be quick this way.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If just one mag change is required,tape two mags together.Put a 1" piece of wood between the mags and drop the right mag to clear the ejection port.A mag change can be quick this way.

+1 But dont forget to use blue tape..
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Tantals has some stuff for you to look at.....
Tantal
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
A "made in China" $56 tactical vest. Advertised in SGN, Gun List, etc.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Tactical Tailor makes a decent AK mag pouch that can be used on the belt, on a PALS system vest, etc...otherwise there are chest rigs and vests on Lightfighter's and other tactical sites from places like Eagle, CQB Solutions, Blackhawk and others that are quality that run from $50 for bottom line chest rigs to an average of $100-150 to whatever you need to pay....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry mine to the range in a old US Pistol crate it will hold around thirty six 30 rounders and a 75 round drum
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Having used the E.G. pouches while playing in airsoft matches (gasp, insert poseur and airsoft dork comments here, at least it gave me an excuse to run/crawl around with my mag pouch on, lol) I'd skip them.  With them fully closed with the straps through the clasps it's too darn hard/time consuming to get at your mags, and with the top flap just left loose I've dropped mags (albiet AR sized mags, my actual AK mags are obviously slightly tighter in the pouch) while crawling prone.  Obviously for just carrying mags to the range it works fine, just I don't like it for tactical SHTF wet dreaming.  Maybe it would be fine for a tactical rifle match though?

I just ordered a 4 pack of Bulgy '74 mags with the bulgy pouch, looks about like the east german one with the way it closes, but maybe it's better, guess I'll find out...

Cheaper than dirt had some Israeli I think it was copy of the US 3-mag belt pouches for sale once, except made for AK mags.  I kick myself for having not gotten a couple, I haven't seen anyone else with them.  Anyone know of a source, they look like the best decent solution I've seen.  The clasp on them is vastly superior to this antique crap on all the cheap EG, Bulgy, Chinese etc AK mag pouches...  I'm too cheap to get even a affordable vest, and I think most of the cheap ones have velco anyway...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I need to get something to carry them, they fit in one of my coat pockets well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:09:37 AM EDT
[#13]
For cheap & dirty try a claymore carrier. Remove the internal stitching to remove the compartments and sling over your shoulder. You can carry several mags that way and it's easy to tell full from empty just by the weight. Works surprisingly well.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:58:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Blade-Tech makes what you're looking for.

Blade-tech

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I picked up a couple of the East German pouchs for $5 each. After I loaded them down with full mags I was amazed at how much they weighed. There must be a better way.

I saw the ads for those US style pouches. Looks like a good idea but I never picked any up either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:24:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Went with Blackhawk STRIKE triple pouches in black. MOLLE compatible and surprisingly hold M14/M1A mags pretty well. Kinda expensive, but picked them up from Lightfighter. A little foam to snug it up a little for the M1As and they're fine. They also work as AR mag carriers, too. Needless to say they work with 7.62 and 5.45 mags.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top