Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 11:38:48 AM EDT
Global and Arsenal are reported to begin production of "stamped" receivers.  Anyone have word on the progress?  

I've been waiting for one of each (47/74).

Kenny
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Wait for the FEG receivers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Wait for the FEG receivers.

When are they showing up? Price?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#3]
okay, this is the second time I've seen a reference to the importation of FEG receivers. Who, where, what spec/type, mods, how much?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#5]

"A:Low caps, then converted to hi caps."

What does that mean?  The mag well opened up?

K
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if they will have dimples?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#7]
OK these were from before my AK time? Whats so hot about these recievers? Aren't they imported? Hungarian?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OK these were from before my AK time? Whats so hot about these recievers? Aren't they imported? Hungarian?

They are the best out there, completely heat treated, yes and yes.  I am currently building a PMKMS kit on one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A:They are coming in
A:To a dealer near you!
A:They will have the long ejector, for both calibers
A:Low caps, then converted to hi caps.
A:Under $100 from what I have been told

Okay, I'll play. Who is the importer? Who is doing the conversion? More, more!
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]
The FEG receiver is worth the wait.  My 74 kit is waiting for one of these babies.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:07:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#13]
What happened to the Arsenal guns that were/are slated to come out around the end of the AWB??  Have they completely gone off the radar?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I was about to ask the same question Matt.  Those are the guns I'm waiting on and we should be hearing something very shortly.  They were probably waiting until the ban ends to come out with the new stamped rx guns.  I don't they will be offering just the rxs, only complete rifles.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:41:16 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I was about to ask the same question Matt.  Those are the guns I'm waiting on and we should be hearing something very shortly.  They were probably waiting until the ban ends to come out with the new stamped rx guns.  I don't they will be offering just the rxs, only complete rifles.

I agree that the initial Arsenal Inc of Nevada offerings will be complete guns, not any stand alone receiver. These are slated to come out soon, my understanding is that the current wait will be days or weeks, not months.
They will arrive as Bulgarian made politically correct low capacity imports that will then receive conversion by Arsenal Inc to a less politically correct configuration (including modification to make it a high capacity shooter).
Some folks plans are to wait for these to come out and to leave them as they are. Other folks are planning to purchase them for use as a foundation for their AK projects.

If neither idea works for you, and a receiver is all you want, then Arsenal Inc does not seem to be the one to help you right now. One thing though, Arsenal Inc of Nevada does have the required receiver stamping dies and such to make their own Bulgarian licensed stamped steel receivers, so a stand alone receiver may be a possibility down the road, but only a possibility at this time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I agree that the initial Arsenal Inc of Nevada offerings will be complete guns, not any stand alone receiver. These are slated to come out soon, my understanding is that the current wait will be days or weeks, not months.
They will arrive as Bulgarian made politically correct low capacity imports that will then receive conversion by Arsenal Inc to a less politically correct configuration (including modification to make it a high capacity shooter).Some folks plans are to wait for these to come out and to leave them as they are. Other folks are planning to purchase them for use as a foundation for their AK projects.

If neither idea works for you, and a receiver is all you want, then Arsenal Inc does not seem to be the one to help you right now. One thing though, Arsenal Inc of Nevada does have the required receiver stamping dies and such to make their own Bulgarian licensed stamped steel receivers, so a stand alone receiver may be a possibility down the road, but only a possibility at this time.

Jeeze.....Converted low caps. This is disapointing if true. Basically a higher quality WASR-10 type rifle from Bulgaria?  

If they have the tooling as you say, why don't they just make the damn receivers here in the US and assemble "correct" rifles instead of converted low cap wannabes.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:33:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They will arrive as Bulgarian made politically correct low capacity imports that will then receive conversion by Arsenal Inc to a less politically correct configuration (including modification to make it a high capacity shooter).Some folks plans are to wait for these to come out and to leave them as they are. Other folks are planning to purchase them for use as a foundation for their AK projects.

Jeeze.....Converted low caps. This is disapointing if true. Basically a higher quality WASR-10 type rifle from Bulgaria?  

If they have the tooling as you say, why don't they just make the damn receivers here in the US and assemble "correct" rifles instead of converted low cap wannabes.

Good point.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#20]
IMO, comparing the Romanian 10 round capacity imports to the expected Bulgarian 10 round capacity imports, is not a fair one. I do expect the Bulgarian imports to be a "noticably" better overall manufactured gun. A more fair comparison would be to the Robinson Arms Molot Vepr-2 imports. They too are a high quality import that need conversion in order to make them more visually appealing, and to make them accept standard high capacity mags. The advantage that the new Bulgarians will have over the Molot Vepr's, may be their more standard AK appearance once Arsenal Inc converts them.

Oh, and my understanding is that the new Bulgarian imports "will" also have the common side dimples found on most stamped steel AK's.

As for Arsenal Inc making Bulgarian licensed stamped receivers, I know for a fact that Arsenal Inc has aquired the tooling needed for their production, but I just don't know what their game plan is on those. Even if their plan is to manufacture them sometime in the near future, if they do the same thing that they have done with their Bulgarian licensed milled receivers, it will mean that they will only use them to build complete guns, and not offer the receivers as stand alone items. Not saying that this will be the case, but if they follow their current MO, this may end up being the case.

If I were to guess, it would seem to me that they aquired the stamped steel receiver tooling for a future plan of sometime actually making these receivers, but when or if they will be sold individually, that would be a tougher thing to guess :)

Again, the initial stamped steel offerings from Arsenal Inc will be Bulgarian imports that will receive conversion to a more desirable configuration. This has been done with other AK imports (including the milled receiver Arsenal of Bulgaria SLR-101's), but the final look and quality will most likely set these apart from stamped steel guns coming in from places like Romania.

I can't speak for them on why they do this, and not do that. Or, why they may choose this project before choosing that one.

All I can say is what has come out thus far on the subject :)

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:17:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Oh man, I'm wettin my pants for some FEG receivers...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:26:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I was giving some thought as to why Arsenal Inc aquired the tooling to manufacture Bulgarian licensed stamped receivers, but has yet to manufacture any.

I may have a senerio that "may" explain why. First, we must understand that in order for them to manufacture their SA M-7/M-5 series, they did indeed get license and specifications from the Bulgarian Arsenal to manufacture the SAM's milled receivers. Though other parts, like the FCG and stockset, are also US made under Bulgarian license, a large portion of the guns components are actually imported Arsenal of Bulgaria factory fresh components. One critical component brought in from Bulgaria, is the barrel. One may wonder how Arsenal Inc continues making SAM series guns using these foreign made barrels, especially since the BATF ruled that the barrels for these types of weapons can no longer be imported in for the purpose of building new rifles. Well, it seems like Arsenal Inc had been lucky enough to have imported quite a few of these barrels before the ruling was made. Though the Arsenal Inc firm probably still has a decent stash of barrels for the 7.62x39 and 5.56x45 caliber milled guns, they may not have imported any or enough of the 5.45x39 caliber barrels needed for building the AK-74 variants. They probably brought in the receiver stamping equipment, only to have the BATF rule against the barrels. They may have then thought that going the same route as with their SLR-101's (importing and converting), that their costs and time could be kept more minimal. I mean, importing and converting AK-74 type AK's may have sounded better and made more sense than having to get into the barrel manufacturing business here in the US.
That would explain why they probably don't build their own in house stamped steel AK's. But then one wonders why they don't manufacture the bare receivers as stand alone items?...... Well, in the past I have guessed as to why they don't offer their milled receivers as stand alone items, and some of that may also hold true for not wanting to offer stand alone stamped receivers.

On a closely related subject, though the Arsenal Inc supply of SAM series barrels may not have run out yet, there is a finite amount available in their inventory, and I imagine that these barrels will have to run out sometime soon. When this happens, they will not legally be able to import more in for the purpose of rifle building. So, they may decide to start making their own AK barrels in house, or decide to drop their US licensed SAM versions from their product line. The import and convert method may end up being the most prolific method used by AK importers/manufacturers in the US.

IMO    
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I just want a proper stamped receiver to build on.  Chicken feet, dimples, all the right stuff!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#25]
So who is gonna have these for sale???
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
So who is gonna have these for sale???

+1  

Yeah... enquiring minds want to know.....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top