Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2004 12:34:40 PM EDT
I have a Bulgarian AK-74 kit on the way to me. The kit is the side folder style, AKS-74 I beleive they are called, it's the one with the skeleton stock...lol... excuse my dumbness...lol... I also have a 4pc Russian AK-74M stock set on the way from Tantal. Will the rear trunion and hardware from my kit work with the Russian AK-74M stock set or am I going to bone out the $100 for a trunion/hardware kit? Thanks a ton...Josh Newton
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 7:11:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I just stopped short of posting this answer to your reply in the other post...funny I stumbled upon it here.

The stock itself will not fit into the recess of the Bulgarian trunnion without a little filing on the area where the pin goes down to hold the stock and trun together...in the case of my identical setup. The actual blocky part did fit...just the part with the vertical hole didn't. If you look at the stock from the front towards the back, you'll see what I mean. Just level it out.

What I did was carefully hold the stock in the closed and open position to get a feel for where I needed to file, and more importantly, the angle of the filing. If you file at an odd angle, it will not look correct when closed.

If possible, get your AK books out or find many photos of this stock both closed and open, so you know exactly where the top of the butt is in comparison to the receiver/rear site when closed.

It sounds like a pain in the ass, but it was simple even for me. Just took some time and many many many trial fittings.

One thing to remember, making it too tight will eventually wear itself down from use, which is better than screwing up and making it too loose!

Mine is super tight and works great.
almost forgot. The pin supplied with the Bulgie kit is slightly thinner than the holes for the Russian stock. So the pin just slides in now...but being covered in goop it stays in place, having 2 correctly sized holes(Bulg trun), and 2 larger ones(Russ stock). Also, the top cover actually covers the top of the hole anyway, preventing the pin from coming out as long as the top cover is on. It is not a problem at all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply my man... I just went a head and ordered the Russian trunion kit from Tantal. Dont really want to file on that sucker, to much damn money...lol...  
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That settles the problem yes...but it's only half or less of 1mm to file.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top