Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2004 4:57:16 PM EDT
I'm not kidding.

I have two rifles built by ORF, and finished in their "blark" finish. One is a polish underfolder, the other is my SEAK rifle.

The SEAK has been shot once, the underfolder never.

Both are starting to develop signs of rust on the inside and outside of the receivers. They are both kept in a safe, indoors.

I noticed this when I got the underfolder out to show someone, and noticed orange discoloration around the folder hardware. I opened the receiver cover to find every seam and joint on the inside orange, with a rust-like deposit all over the inside.

I cleaned the internals quite well, and sprayed the whole thing liberally with CLP.

Again, this is an UNFIRED gun!

I own at least 50 rifles, about 12 of which I built myself and finished with Alumahyde. Not a single other gun has anything like this.

Any idea what is causing this? Anyone else have a similar experience with this finish?

I am temped to break them down completely and finish with Alumahyde to prevent any more air from contacting the metal.

-David.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Beats me.  My SEAK and refinished SAR-1 have yet to show any of those signs.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
It might have been some sort of finishing chemcial seeping out of the seems and drying. Is there any sign of the rust or pitting after you cleaned it off? Was it like a dried residue, or typical flakes of ironoxide?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
well, I can't get it out completely, but it isn't like actual iron oxide rust...it is just like an orange colored residue.

I can't get it out of every seam inside the receiver, but I was able to get it off for the most part.

-David.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
pics!
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
My wasr-10 from them had the same shit.  I didn't care that much because I had plans to send it to CCR to have it refinished in KG gun-kote.  In fact that is where it's at right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 1:56:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 3:37:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top