Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/24/2004 5:43:22 PM EDT
I am a left-handed shooter and have found a couple of manufacturers that make left-handed AR-15s.  Does anyone make a left-handed version of the AK?  If not, how easy is it for lefties to use?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a southpaw and I have no problems at all with firing either of my AKs.  It will eject the brass so far away that it isn't an issue.  It will also tend to throw the brass foward, slightly off to the right.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#2]
The only control that is not ambi is the bolt, and that one you can probably work around pretty easily. I dont know if brass hitting your face is a problem, I am right handed and have never shot the AK left handed.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Completely ambidextrious. I tend to shoot long guns left-handed naturally even though I'm right handed. Been getting better at right handed shooting but it still doesn't feel natural for me. AK's tend to kick the shells forward and right pretty hard, i've never been burned by one shooting left handed in a dozen years. One of my Norinco .223's ejects far forward right, then far rearward right, then back to far forward right and I've never had any problem with it either. You should be just fine shooting an AK left handed IMO.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information.  Sounds like the AK is left friendly and I might have to purchance one.

Any chance of getting one with a left side eject?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you want commie left ejection I think you need a CZ 7.62x45.

RS39, please be more specific.  I'm not familiar with CZ rifles.  Do they make a left-handed version of the AK?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Not left-handed friendly in my book.  I don't like the bolt carrier that close to my face.

Tex
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:16:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I've tried operating it left-handed, and it's not bad at all. Only downside is the direction of the extraction... Operating the bolt, reloading, selector settings, all increase in speed as you can do everything with your right arm.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Tex, I agree with you.  If there is a rupture or other catastrophic malfunction, I don’t want the bolt that close to my face either.

We should petition manufacturers to make a left ejecting AK.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top