Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 7:38:57 PM EDT
Been waiting for Krebs to produce the KTR-03S in 5.56. Succumb to impatience and picked up a couple SAR-3s - nicer guns than I had thought.  Beside the Wieger mags, can anyone point me to some info on what exactly needs to be done to Bulgy 5.56 waffles or 5.45 for reliable function. Or any other options. Ive got quite a few of each and various followers, since I thought I was goin elsewhere with 5.56 AK. From the looks, a bit of lip work and perhaps some fitting, but thought I'd ask before I start butchering. TIA guys

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't even mess with the waffles !
Not cost effective.

The weigers are only $15 each in sets of 4
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The magazine used in the VEPR .223 will work in a SAR3.  Or, you can take 5.45 bakelite and grind open the feed lips a little bit and add a VEPR follower (Robinson sells them for $6.00).  I'd recommend buying 1 complete VEPR magazine just to get an example of how to do the grinding then modify the rest yourself.  Actually, I'd recommend the Wiegers first, it's a great magazine, steel, real rugged, much shorter than the 30 round AK mag, and it fits in most M16 web gear.  Also looks bomb on the gun.  Best way to go - Interordinance had them a few months ago for $15 each.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. About what I figured eyeballing them. Ive got a passel of both waffles and 5.45  mags, including some VEPR .223 conversions and extra followers, but no guns to shoot them (dont ask).  Heh I was told that the VEPR mags wont run, hell I should have tried them. Smart thing is to buy the Wiegers - thanks for the lead Jeepster.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Heh, Thats what I was trying to avoid

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:48:58 PM EDT
[#7]
alacrity,
No problem.  I had a bunch of problems with mine until I got wise to the Century mags being crap and got the Wiegers.  Now it's probably my favorite rifle.  Recoil is incredibly low.  I've got a Red Star Arms trigger in mine and it shoots like a dream.  All I've got to do is put an A2 flash hider on it after 9/14 and it's complete (The barrel was turned down to 0.50, which matches the AR).  Shooting the XM193 gives a TREMENDOUS flash!
Glad to be of help!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
AKsRule:

Please give website or phone # where one can find Wiegers for that price.

Thank you,

Scotter260
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a SAR-3 for a couple of years now and she is SWEET ! ! !  

I use three types of mags in mine:  Weiger, Weiger, and Weiger.  

Did I say I like Weiger mags ?!?!?!?!?

With Weigers' this baby runs 110% -- all day long with ANY ammo  ! !   I installed on "Krink" stock and black Bulgy upper and lower handguards.  Then a couple of light coats of Aluma-Hyde in matte black.  Like I said ---- SWEET ! ! ! ! ! !

Tried a couple of the Bulgys -- one works O-K and the other is a jam-o-matic.  

By the way - - -  did I say to get Weiger mags  ? ? ? ? ?

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:46:18 PM EDT
[#10]
BB:

I bought these for different reasons than I have AR's, but I enjoy shooting them. Heh, the pre-ban Norinco 84s Ive been coddling are soon to be worth dick. Oh well, I never bought em for investment, but I just couldnt bruise em up. Like you, Im happy and I'll admit to being mildly surprised at the SAR-3 (AR snob I guess I am). Get it off for some Black-T and Ill be set (J/K)

Jeepster

Have the RSA triggers - holy shit that was like night and day from another I shot without. Not exactly sure the hammer was upgraded, that part of the kit on the SAR-3? or is it even an issue. One has a AR front Tritium sight - someone must make an adapter - I need to find a few more. Any ideas? Still toying with what will be done after AWBS.

Normally I'd tell you to google inter-ordnance, but had a little trouble myself

Scotter260:

http://www.interordnance.com/index.shtml

Item# SARPSET under mags. They were helpful on the phone. They'll probably be $5 in 30 days, but least I have them. Thanks for all your help guys, sure the wife appreciates it

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#12]
RS:

As long as I clean her FAL when Im done (and every other time she is - what can I say - Im a romantic), she's cool.  Was tongue in cheek - Im really a lucky guy. Have been getting the eye since Tapco catalogs went risque - sex or guns but not both it seems. Obviously you didnt realize what the PW stands for - I freely admit it. Really Im a Buckeye as well.

Luck
Alac
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:07:58 PM EDT
[#13]
BTW . . . . ..

I too have a Red Star FCG in my little SAR-3.  REALLY makes a difference.  

And . . . I have a few AR's too -- and use one  in the local Hi-Power League.  

And I really like the AR rifle/carbine, but for just "blasting fun" a SAR, either in 7.62 or 5.56 is hard to beat  ! ! !
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top