Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 3:00:14 PM EDT
I can't get the buttstock off my SAR-2.  What is the problem?  Any suggestions would be appreciated before I hack this thing off!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:09:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you took the screw out under the return spring rod (forward of the exposed screw under the bolt/dust cover & returen spring rod)..., I had one that was pretty tight. I took a 6" 3/8" socket extention & angled it back to the exposed forward most part of the top edge portion of the stock that is exposed inside of the the action, and gave it a few stout raps with a hammer & it finally gave up the fight & backed out.  

Hope this helps!!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tried clearing the fcg out, inserting a rod, whacking with a hammer?

Tried that first.

Quoted:
varnish has dried against the steel.

wear a thickly padded glove.

smack the sides of the buttstock near the heel/toe area. alternate blows from side to side untill the stock loosens slightly.

once the stock is moving, pull rearward. enlist the help of a friend if necessary and wear those gloves with the rubber gripping dots on the palm.

Thanks Campy,  I'll try that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Assuming you took the screw out under the return spring rod (forward of the exposed screw under the bolt/dust cover & returen spring rod)..., I had one that was pretty tight. I took a 6" 3/8" socket extention & angled it back to the exposed forward most part of the top edge portion of the stock that is exposed inside of the the action, and gave it a few stout raps with a hammer & it finally gave up the fight & backed out.  

Hope this helps!!

That is exactly what I did first and that sucker did not budge a millimeter.  What Campy said made sense.  I'll try that after dinner.  I got my laminated stock set from K-Var today and now that I have it apart, I will finally put the RSA trigger in.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I find the laundry bag / duffel bag technique works the best. Make sure gun is unloaded, take out bolt assembly, take out screws.

Get your big laundry bag full of dirty laundry. Grasp gun by the barrel or forearm beat all 4 sides of the butstock against the laundry bag.

You also can beat the stock on a pillow, on your bed, a couch, or a padded stairway rug but I find the significant others tend to get upset with that.

The stock should wiggle right out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a variation of Campy's method.  I placed the receiver portion of the rifle in between two pieces of 2x6 in a vise and tighted it until snug.  Then I whacked each side with a mallet 10 times and then while pulling on it at the same time I hit it again on alternate sides and it came out.  Campy was right.  It was the dried varnish.  It looks great with the laminated wood now.  Pic later.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top