Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/19/2004 8:53:32 AM EDT
Although I've been handgunning for better part of a couple decades, I just got into rifle shooting a little over a year ago. I followed the advice I received from most folks in getting an AR to start out, and not with any regret as it's been a great learning experience. I've gained a little knowledge during the period (always a dangerous thing ) about the AR specifically but also about rifles in general, and including the AK which I've always admired. I've formed a few ideas about it along the way but realize there's still far more that I don't yet know. Having joined this board recently I figured I'd just throw out for general comment: What should a +1 yr. AR shooter keep in mind when considering whether to transition to the AK?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What should a +1 yr. AR shooter keep in mind when considering whether to transition to the AK?

Thanks for any thoughts.

[arnold]Do it, do it now![/arnold]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 3:06:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
got any friends nearby that know about ak's? any friends that are good with their hands and mechanical ability?

if so, get help hand picking a cheap wasr hi-cap and go have fun.

if you are on your own, the safest bet is an arsenal inc. bulgarian milled ak47 clone.

in any event...WAIT 3 MORE WEEKS before you spend a dime. the pre-post-pre bans are coming!!!

You mean't pre post post bans right CAMPY?  Sorry I've gone cross eyed.

BlackScot- if WHEN you get an AK, be sure to check that the front site base and gas block aren't canted.  As CB said, the safest bet is an ARSENAL Inc. (Of Nevada... There's also Arsenal USA which should not be confused with ARSENAL INC) Arsenal seems to get AKs done right the first time.  With the WASR/SAR Romanian rifles, you need to check for canted FSB, FGB etc.  Plus the SAR/WASRs have a reputation for trigger slap.

Good luck!  If I had lurked on the dark side of the AK forums before i made my purshases I would have known what to look for.  Other than a SAR1 with a canted FSB I've made out OK.

Sly
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Or,  Give Ohio Rapid Fire a call.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 2:55:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses guys. Here's some additional info.

As far as purpose(s), I'm into local matches that are mostly tactical (read -- close-up-n-per'nal ) action shoots, although occasionally someone gets cute and throws in a 100-yd or so stage. In addition -- and given the times we're in -- I want something around other than a handgun for a real-world, God-forbid, SHTF scenario.

Secondly, there is nearby help. From the matches I know a lot of shooters far more knowledable than myself on most any topic (well...shooting related anyway, not necessarily things like nuclear physics, ancient philosophy, the meaning of life, etc.). One particular individual (who also happens to be an arfcom moderator) is (1) especially into rifles, (2) owns and likes AK's, FAL's, Galils M1A's, etc. better than AR's -- he actually just sold the one he used to have, (3) works in one of the prominent area gun stores that (4) stocks Arsenal AK's ! ! !  Needless-to-say, this person was one of the several Evil Influences that got me into this rifle stuff altogether, and he still maintains I'd be better off with any of the aforementioned than my AR. (He's actually a real easy-going guy and isn't "pressuring" me into anything -- I'm just trying here to get as many other perspectives as possible.)

So, hope y'all come back to this thread and tell me more -- thnx again!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 5:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:51:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I must warn you, there is no such thing as buying one AK. The power of the dark side os strong, ppull you in it will.

Thats NO joke!! I've been working some crazy hours at the hospital to pay for this habit. But then I think of those poor AR bastards paying even more for parts for their toys.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:08:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Randy, I'll let you shoot my Arsenal Inc. SA-M7S at the EVIL RIFLE SIDE MATCH next Sunday if you'd like.  

Just trying to maintain my "Evil Influence" status.....

Hey Tim ! ! !  See you found my post. Your offer is most generous, and -- yes -- I would be very grateful. All the prognostication aside, there's just no substitute for some things than jumping in and trying it out. Unfortunately given my economics, I would probably be looking at trading/selling the AR should I decide to go AK, and won't really have the opportunity to own both to conduct long-term comparisons.

One thing: how many rounds should I bring? Also, any particular brand and/or bullet weight recommended?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:11:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't worry man, I've got ammo aplenty.  

You're a gooood man ......see you then, and thanks much !
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:59:17 PM EDT
[#14]
After attemping to buy a Cetme (pin from muzzle brake protruding into the barrel scared me off) and then reading this page--
www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/links.htm I bought my 1st Romanian SAR1. At the time I was on my 2nd AR.
I now have 2 Aks, an Uzi, and a FAL. Sold my AR to put a down payment on another apartment. AR's are a dime a dozen, those other ones have more appeal to me for their simplicity.

Join us on the darkside.  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top