Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/18/2004 4:39:53 PM EDT
Well......I've got my greezy Yugo SKS all stripped down and I've started to degrease it.  Man this shit is like glue!  I tried using Gun Scrubber and that don't do nothing.  The best thing so far is Brake cleaner but it's slow going.   This shit is tougher than the 60 Year old cosmoline that was on my '03 Springfield I got from the CMP.  Anyone know what would work any better to get this crappy old cosmoline off my Yugo?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#1]
What I do is use the gas barbeque grill in the back yard. Take the stripped down barrelled receiver and wrap it in paper towels. Wrap any parts also in paper towels.

Place all of this on the grill, with aluminum foil over the grill so you don't contaminate it.

Let the parts sit over the grill for 10 or 15 minutes with fairly high heat, and the cosmoline will liquify and soak into the toweling.

Unwrap, and spray with brake cleaner.

You now have clean, degreased parts!

-David.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:11:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Lemon oil for furniture works pretty dam good, kinda breaks it down..
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Boiling water as said, Simple Green, or Castrol Degreaser in purple bottle after boiling water.   Laundry soap (tide) with hot water.  After using the cleaner, flush with boiling water and put gun in oven at 250-300 F.  Dry out the water and bring more oil and grease out of crevises.   Degrease again then use your favorite oil.

Oven cleaner to degrease wood if needed.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just Hoppes and/or brake cleaner here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Well....I got all the small parts cleaned.  I just have to do the barrel/receiver assembly.  That's going to be a bitch!
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 6:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Take it in the shower with hot water and powder or liquid tide or dawn dish soap, a soft bristle brush or large toothbrush, and scrub it clean.  you aren't going to hurt it and it will clean right up.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top