AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2004 6:37:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:01:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Just go full auto!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
My knowledge is limited in the Paintball arena.  My older brother and I were thinking about getting into it so I bought a couple of the $20 +/- sets from Wal-Mart...

We, dressed only in jeans & a t-shirt, paced off 20 yards.  My brother turned his back to me, I took aim and fired!  I connected a direct hit with his kidney...

After my brother stopped cursing and hopping around- I turned my back & my brother aimed and fired.  The round struck the back of my right leg, skimmed across the tender flesh and ricocheted into the inside of my left thigh where it broke on the tender flesh of my inside right thigh.  I cocked my paintball gun and spun around to shoot my brother for just flat Faqing hurting me- he cocked his paintball gun and aimed it at me... We both collected our wits, threw the paint guns in the dumpster and haven't touched one since.

My brother's kidney was a nasty volcano looking raised bruise for the better part of a month.  I had a 4-5" long grazing bruise on the inside of my right thigh and another roundish nasty bruise on the inside of my left thigh for a couple of weeks.  The only thing I learned from this experience and knowledge I can pass along is that paint ball is a lot like the real deal- it's not how many or what kind of guns you have, it's the accessories and safety crap that is equally important.  If my bro and I would have had the proper layers on at the time of this learning experience we may very well be competing in paint ball to this day.  However we're fast learners.  A few weeks later we discovered IPSC competition and that seems to satisfy our competitive needs.

Maybe your son is in a phase, might want to test him by fire JC or make sure he is properly outfitted with all the goods.  (Think $ here)

Sly
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Jeep -

Paintball is extremely fun if you can find a bunch of guys (or kids) to play with.  Pump guns are inherently a bit more accurate than their semi-auto brothers due to them firing from a closed, rather than open bolt.  But nonetheless, semi-auto is the only way to go and you can get some starter semi auto guns for about $100 a piece.  Obviously though, going full auto will cost you ($500+ easy).  

I played paintball all through middle school and high school with my group of friends.  I have memories of various games that will last forever.    And there is nothing like a father vs son game of paintball.  Lots of hurt feelings and pride for all.  

Try Paintball Gear to get some starting info and prices.

BTW, Kingman is a good brand to start out with.  No need to get their electric powered one though.  Too much $$.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
 Since you're on the AK side of things why not see what the big Warzone is using for the rental guns and find out how reliable they are, and how they hold up.
 We did OK with the cheapest Tippman model, although it is hard to field strip.
 Paintball in T-shirts gets one tactical fast.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
He has a paintball park not too far from the house. (paid professional run course, barriers, obs, etc)so he will always have someone to battle. He generally has extra cash, so the paint and O2 will be on him. I figure I am going to have to send some $ to get him set up, but just need some dos and don'ts as far as equipt wise. The FA guns...are they FA all the time? or switchable?

link to local park www.memphispaintball.com/

Switchable.  Plus variable ROF.  

Here's an example.  Angel Paintball Gun
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=26772
...oh yeah... he is a little anarchist.... ( this was 2 years ago)

Nice pic.  Looks like he was born to play paintball.  Get him a nice semi-auto gun and let him have at.  In fact, try to take him on yourself.  My money's on him.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#10]
www.888paintball.com/browse.asp?plid=GUNS&csid=80558341096688022202842795521933354337917638209289&icid=DIABLO
Here's something you might want to look into... Popular model with good reviews. All you basically need for this one in order to have a good gun is a powered hopper. All other mods, even barrel, are optional as it's a pretty good gun to start with.
ETA: Yeah, you might also want a gas system and LBE's of somesort. For gas, though, I'd prefer a remote system with a nitrogen tank on the LBE.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:15:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Tippman 98 custom is a good starter gun.  Get that, a new barrel, extra tanks, a mask, paint, hopper, and he should be good to go.  www.pbaz.com is a good site to check out with a lot of info.

I also have a friend that could give you some good advice on painball gear if you need it.  He competes with the best in state for the ASU pb club, so he knows his stuff.  IM me if you want his email addy for some advice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]
gunsnstuff.net

Click on the paintball/airsoft button.

The RAP rifle that looks like an M-4.  Kind of spendy but you'd probably have fun playing with it.

I have no personal experience but read an article in Guns&Weapons of LE that explained how these are all the rage overseas.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought Spyders for my kids.  The Spyder XL is very nice.  They liked them a lot but I noticed that one of them cracked at the front grip/receiver/gas point (not the XL).  Not good.

His school buddies just got Tippman 98 markers.  They are a bit more expensive but seem to be much sturdier.   So...I guess I'll be buying a Tippman 98 (about $150) soon.

Oh, he's going to want a longer barrel at some point.  Ten to 12 inches is plenty.  The accuracy increase starts downward after that because of velocity decrease.  Also, skip the Red Dot sights.  They aren't worth it.   Also, get a larger tank (12-14oz) with a CO2 cut-off valve on the tank (there are reports of injuries when removing the tank the "old-fashioned" way).

Finally, get him the best mask (eye protection) that you can get.  There are differences so do your research.  There have also been some reports about the paint causing eye problems but...could be urban myths...but protecting the eyes is the most important thing anyway.

Our current opinions, anyway...

Oh, Mom is going to love the nice round .68 caliber brusies on him.  They can get quite purple after a good hit.  

Have fun.  We do.

Wolf
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Do yourself a favor and buy a Tipman 98 Custom.. Tippman has been in pneumatics buisness for over 100 years, I belive they know there stuff..

Ditto on what wolf said.. Buy the best mask you can.. The JT Thermals aer nice.. Go for as much face/head coverage as possible.. The better mask breath much better, and won't fog up as much.. The JT also has a crosswind fan avalible.. Look at this if foging is a problem, I got one and havent regreted it yet, my goggles will not fog up with the fan...

I alos prefer 2-3 smaller tanks, as opposed to one large tank, it makes the gun eaiser to carry, and I throw extra tanks in a backpack..

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
there are reports of injuries when removing the tank the "old-fashioned" way

Well I don't know about injuries but I have had many a fun experience with that.  For example, twice in one day a tank went off at the emergency release valve.  The first one was lying on a table and it sent off shooting CO2 gas everywhere blowing all our gear off the table as we sat there.  Talk about hair-raising!!  Half of my friends fell backward in shock and surprise as they tried to get off the picnic table's bench seats.  The other time a friend was unscrewing the bottle off his gun slowly (you're supposed to do it fast) and subsequently got a face full of CO2 gas as he was looking at it.    His following spaz as he tried to unscrew it with out looking was quite hilarious.

But there is a dark side to paintball.  At a local paintball range, a few kids took it a bit too serious and used pepper balls on the other kids.  And the group that got peppered got their revenge after the game by busting a pepper "grenade" or something in the group of kids returning (including me and my friends).  Needless to say they were kicked out and banned for life.  Nothing like coughing for 30 minutes and having teary eyes....

You will immediately notice these types of kids.  They look like they are way to into it and are never nice to anyone.  The type that if you say hello to them they just sit there and look around pretending not to hear you.  Either that or they look at you like you are the scum of the earth and do not deserve to even be on the same playing field as them.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well I don't know about injuries but I have had many a fun experience with that.  For example, twice in one day a tank went off at the emergency release valve.  The first one was lying on a table and it sent off shooting CO2 gas everywhere blowing all our gear off the table as we sat there.  Talk about hair-raising!!  Half of my friends fell backward in shock and surprise as they tried to get off the picnic table's bench seats.  The other time a friend was unscrewing the bottle off his gun slowly (you're supposed to do it fast) and subsequently got a face full of CO2 gas as he was looking at it.    His following spaz as he tried to unscrew it with out looking was quite hilarious.

But there is a dark side to paintball.  At a local paintball range, a few kids took it a bit too serious and used pepper balls on the other kids.  And the group that got peppered got their revenge after the game by busting a pepper "grenade" or something in the group of kids returning (including me and my friends).  Needless to say they were kicked out and banned for life.  Nothing like coughing for 30 minutes and having teary eyes....

Yeah, I've never had any problem with removing the tank and can't really see how anything serious could happen -- absent a catastrophic metal failure.  I guess you could accidentally hit yourself with it.  

My wife almost had a accident, however, when one of the bottles blew in the front seat of the pickup while she was driving down the road.  Scared the fool out of her and filled the cab with white gas.  I had a couple go off in my truck but its not a big deal.   I always carry them in the back seat, though.

I heard a new "dark side" tactic the other day -- put the paintballs in the freezer.  It would not be fun to take one of those up side your head.  I guess that COULD do some serious damage.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 1:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a Tippmann Model 98 that I'll sell ya for pretty cheap if you want it.  I've literally barely used it, 2-3 games max, I got into airsoft shortly after I got it and it's sat around completely unused for a year or two now I guess.  12 oz tank with buttplate, 200rnd hopper, stock gun.  Should be ideal, all you'd need is a facemask, some paint, and a airtank fillup and you'd be good to go.  I was getting ready to ebay it just hoping to get like $75 shipped for it or something I think that's pretty good, could be wrong.

pic: bellsouthpwp.net/j/s/jstriet/M98.jpg
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:24:47 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
He has a paintball park not too far from the house. (paid professional run course, barriers, obs, etc)so he will always have someone to battle. He generally has extra cash, so the paint and O2 will be on him. I figure I am going to have to send some $ to get him set up, but just need some dos and don'ts as far as equipt wise. The FA guns...are they FA all the time? or switchable?

link to local park www.memphispaintball.com/

Jeep: Good to hear your son is interested in paintball.

First of all:
Forget Wal-Mart. Only CO2 tanks and paintballs (and their deals on PBs aren't all that great) should be bought at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart's Paintball markers are generally pieces of shit that will break down after 1,500 shots or so (about a months use, basically).

A good weapon to start out on is a semi Tippmann or semi Spyder (Spyders are real nice, like $130 and LOTS of options and extras available. it's the 10/22 of paintball). Although your son may want a full-auto as bad as no tomorrow, I'd recommend NOT getting him a FA. Most paintball fields don't allow FA (thus you must use semi the entire time). Also, this is a lot of stress on the gun. A semi is just as good, really.

But, for god's sake, steer your kid clear of airsoft... When he wants you to buy him a PLASTIC toy AK copy for $400 when you can get a SAR-1 for less... Well... Just keep him in PB.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I also suggest Tippmann's model 98 paintball marker.  They are easy to maintain and very durable.  The gun is really only as good as the paint you shoot through  it though... seriously.  Buy that wal mart stuff and maybe one out of 20 flies straight and doesnt blow up in the barrel.   Get marbalizer paintballs, they fly perfectly and never break in the barrel.

Sooo... I suggest buying a tippmann 98, a lapco autospirit barrel, a box of 1000 rounds of marbalizer paintballs, and any mask as long as it has antifog lenses.  That should run you 350 bucks or so?  It's been awhile since I purchased the stuff it may have gone up or down.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Paging SF_Chris, paging SF_Chris!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I've never had any problem with removing the tank and can't really see how anything serious could happen -- absent a catastrophic metal failure.  I guess you could accidentally hit yourself with it.  

My wife almost had a accident, however, when one of the bottles blew in the front seat of the pickup while she was driving down the road.  Scared the fool out of her and filled the cab with white gas.  I had a couple go off in my truck but its not a big deal.   I always carry them in the back seat, though.

I heard a new "dark side" tactic the other day -- put the paintballs in the freezer.  It would not be fun to take one of those up side your head.  I guess that COULD do some serious damage.

Frozen paintballs are EXTREMELY dangerous.  They will break the skin more than 90% of the time.  The frozen paintball's energy is held constant as it does not expand and explode on contact like a normal one does.

Jeepcreep I also stronly recommend a Kingman Spyder as a first gun.  The first paintball gun I ever had was a Kingman Spyder SE with a vertical foregrip and a double trigger.  Man I could fire that thing fast.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Tippmann's are the AK-47 of the paintball world. You can put them through hell and they'll just keep operating. Look at the mod 98s and the A-5s. Both are good guns, as I understand it, but you'll probably want to look into a new barrel for either (Tippmann's barrels leave something to be desired) A good DYE or J&J barrel will make a world of difference. You might also look into an expansion chamber for them,  which will help keep the gun's velocity consistant.

Kingman Spyers aren't a bad starting gun, either. I've played against a few of them with my Tippmann Pro/Am and they seemed as capable as my gun. With some upgrades, I'm sure they'd do even better.

I played for about 7-8 years or so, but slacked off after I got out of school and in to working all of the time. I'm currently thinking about getting back into it.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've got a Tippmann Model 98 that I'll sell ya for pretty cheap if you want it.  I've literally barely used it, 2-3 games max, I got into airsoft shortly after I got it and it's sat around completely unused for a year or two now I guess.  12 oz tank with buttplate, 200rnd hopper, stock gun.  Should be ideal, all you'd need is a facemask, some paint, and a airtank fillup and you'd be good to go.  I was getting ready to ebay it just hoping to get like $75 shipped for it or something I think that's pretty good, could be wrong.

pic: bellsouthpwp.net/j/s/jstriet/M98.jpg

If Jeepcreep's doesn't take you up on the offer, I'm interested.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Paging SF_Chris, paging SF_Chris!

LOL  good one
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 7:43:02 PM EDT
[#27]
+1 for Tippman

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#28]
My friend has a Tippmann A5 with a flatline barrel.  The gun is about $250, the barrel costs about $100, but the paintball goes much straighter, and much  further.  With or without the barrel, it is a good, reliable gun, that has a built in electric hopper, so he can shoot faster.

Any Tippmann is pretty good, though.

I myself use a Viper M1.  It's made by a small company in FL, is relatively inexpensive (couple hundred $), very accurate, built like a tank, and has a lifetime warraty -and if your son plays a lot, that will come in handy.   Most of my friends have had problems and have had to send their guns (which are not Vipers) back several times- though I have yet to send my Viper back to be fixed.... still, you never know what will happen, so the warranty is nice.  

It is also pretty efficient with CO2.   It's a great gun and it almost never chops paintballs- it is built like a tank, too.  Another plus, is that it is pretty quiet for a paintball gun- even with CO2 (as opposed to nitrogen which is always very quiet).

www.usapaintball.com

I also have a PMI Piranha BL as a backup gun.  It was about $100 for the gun, mask, a 9 oz tank, hopper, elbow, and cleaning kit.  It is also reliable, though not aaas accurate, or efficient with a CO2, though it does get the job done.  Its cheaper, though I do think a Tippman or the Viper are better overall.

On the topic of full auto, it is a nice feature to have, but it eats through your paintballs, and isnt too much of an advanage in woodsball- though it does help a little on fields with inflatable bunkers.  Either way, with a 2 finger trigger many players can shoot 13-16 balls per second in semi auto, with a decent gun.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#29]
I would definately go with the tippmann. I have one and have had it for several years. No brokent or worn parts, still runs well.  You cant go wrong with a tippmann.  They are inexpensive, robust and reliable. Mine is a 98 Custom, but I have heard that the A-5 has the same reputation for reliability.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Another vote for Tippmann. I still have a Tippmann Pro Lite that I bought in 1995 and the thing still runs great!  I've put thousands and thousands through it and it has always been dependable. Only problem I ever had with it was with the gas system, sent it back to Tippmann, they fixed it the same day the got it and paid the return shipping. They didn't charge me anything to fix it either. Now that's service! Haven't had another problem with it since, and it was 1997 when that happened.

The only thing I've done to mine was put a 16" Smart Parts all american barrel on it, made it quite a bit more accurate and much quieter. I also use an electric hopper that i bought to use with another gun, makes feeding more reliable when shooting faster.

I had better luck with the 68 carbines, the model 98 seemed harder to take apart and harder to work on in my opinion. a friend of mine had one, and it still ran great though. I've also bought a few things from 888paintball before, had good dealings with them.

Just remember, safety is the most important thing, and he'll have fun. Always use a barrel plug and always use a mask. I used to ref at a local field, and I can't tell you how many people I kicked off the field for trying to take them off during a game!  It's all fun and games until someone gets shot in the face with a .68 caliber projectile going 280-300 feet per second!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:51:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#32]
The A5 is nice because it uses a mechanical spocket in the hopper that uses excess gas to advance the sprocket, feeding the next paintball.  It will feed as fast as you can pull the trigger, eliminating the need for a battery powered hopper.  There are two options for full auto:  the E-grip, a battery powered soleniod actuator, and the Reactive Trigger, which uses gas pressure to reset the trigger.  

I prefer the Reactive Trigger because it doesn't require batteries.  If you have CO2, you have a working full auto paintball gun.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I am gonna try to keep him away from Full Auto for the time being.....

That's actually a good idea, since almost every paintball field disallows full-auto guns (kinda unfair to people with semis, having an Angel that can do 13 rounds a sec).

And, it's a good idea to SAVE YOU MONEY, PBs cost more than .22LR, about as much as 17 HMR. Let him take aimed and concentrated shots, it'll help his marksmanship too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:33:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#36]
A tippman model 98 would be a good first gun. Most fields use them because they are very reliable and shoot ok for what they are.

These guys say go full auto...very few guns are made full auto anymore since you cannot use them in tournament play. A good electronic - semiauto paintball gun will shoot over 14 balls per second. I had a 1000$ nasty impulse that I could shoot pretty fast. I would easily shoot 1000 paintballs in a 3 minute 3 - on - 3 tournament game. I loved it but to much money. I would easily drop 300$ a weekend at a tournament.

Anyways paintball is a really fun sport I think he will like it. I played for about 4 years...I really would like to play "rec" ball like we did when we started but now everyone plays tournament style paintball. I'm not doing that again.

Anyways I would either get him a tippman model 98 to begin with or one of the numerous spyder's out there. You can get good deals on packages at www.paintballgear.com thats where I used to purchase everything from.

Just make sure he has a good goggle system and a barrel bag. The barrel bag is designed to stop a paintball if it is accidently fired off the field. Paintball is kinda expensive but really fun. Plus you can play with him. Anyone can play paintball.

Damn...now I wanna play again. If you have anymore questions IM me. I should be able to answer any of your question. Since I am an ex-voodoo team member....3rd place rookie team at the biggest paintball tournament ever
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#37]
For the price, you can't beat a Tippman, I'm still using an OLD pro-light.

The 98's are great guns, with the Flatline barrles, very, very accurate for a very long distance.

Then new A5's are also very nice, but a little more expensive, but you can custimize with AR style colapsible stocks, folding stocks and there are full auto kits availibe for them as well.  And they make the Flatline barrel for the A5's as well.

be sure to buy a good face mask and a hat/beenie to cover the rest of the head, and GLOVES, hand shots hurt almost as much as the love handles,
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:46:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#39]
damn...I hate when they do stuff like that to paintball markers. The paintball community gets so much crap because people call them "guns" and kids are running around in the woods shooting each other. Now that they make paintball markers it kind of makes people even more nervous about it.

I like speedball...which is basically a 50yd field with big bunkers that are air inflated. 3 vs. 3. Really short games...time limit is 4 minutes.

In that amount of time I could easily shoot my hopper (~200 rounds) and 5-6 pods that have 150 balls a piece in them. I played back so I never really stopped shoot the entire time. Fun...and in no way "military" like.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#40]
I currently have a Tippman 98 custom with:

- 9 volt Ricochet AK  (yes thats right AK haha) loader
- SP All-american 12" 2-pc (No more than 12", 10 is nice too - highly recommend this barrel)
- Reactive trigger kit(full auto like bump firing)
- 32 degree starfire bolt
- Smart parts gel grips
- two 20oz CO tanks with smart parts 1/4 turn On/off valves and Anti-siphons

This is a very nice setup, very rugged. It is somewhat heavy with a 20oz CO2 it is fine for me but for a younger kid it would be too heavy I think. The 9oz and 12 co2's kind of suck they start to fade really quick and you get a real bad variation in shots before the tank recovers. The 20oz is a little more resistant to this.

I also suggest you look at a Tippman A-5 it looks like an MP5 and comes with an integrated gas operated loader (very nice) they are light and handy and they have the H&K turret sight... check them out too

And for a mask get a JT, I have a Olive drab JT mask and it is wonderful... Also gloves with finger armor on them is a must - nothing worse than a finger shot

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:19:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Jeep, can you adopt me?

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:17:23 PM EDT
[#44]
you did damn good on that price.  I have an a-5 and love it but the one thing when the co2 gets low the gun will fire but no balls will come out because the cyclone feed system relies on co2 so don't think it's a problem if it happens just put in another tank.  btw i wear shorts and a t-shirt the fun of inflicting pain on others numbs my pain.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I have been shot from inches away numerous times. Often times I would get 3-4 in the same spot from 6 inches away.

Paintball is awesome. I love it but I quit because I spent way way to much money on it. I would spend 300$ at one tournament easily. I would shoot 4-5 cases of paint in an 8 game tournament through a $1000 nasty impulse. I loved that marker. You guys wouldn't..it doesn't look realistic at all. But I don't think paintball markers should.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#46]
OK hope this helps you some.  Tippmans are the AK47 of the paintball world.  They almost NEVER break thats the 1 good thing about them.  Its also about the ONLY good thing about them.  A good mid level gun is any of the spyder electro markers.  They are all semi but most are programmable with 3 and 6 round burst and FULL AUTO.  The biggest thing about paintball as far as accuarcy goes is whats know as PAINT to BArrel match.  Not all Paint balls are the same size and sizes even vary from batch to batch.  So even thought almost ALL markers are .68 cal you'll find varying paint sizes.  For this you need a barrel kit.  Scepter and Freak kits are available to fix this problem.  Also CO2 is quickly becoming a thing of the past.  Youre gonna want to invest in a HPA (High Pressure Air) Tank that can be filled with either Air, or Nitrogen.  Basically what you should expect to pay is somewhere in the realm of 500 bucks to completely outfit your kid with decent equipment that he can upgrade until hes ready for a HIGH end Marker. There are a TON of choices out there so making an informed decision is important.  Dont buy a WALMART gun it would just be a waste of you money.  If you have ANY questions about PB you can PM me and Ill help as much as I can.  Also you can check out NJPB.com which is a forum and site dedicated to PB players in NJ( where the sport originated).  I can probably hook ya up with 1 of my used guns and other equipment if you'd like for a decent price.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Murphy...

Did you ever play tournaments? Me and my team Voodoo won 3rd place at the Ultimate Madness in Huntington a few years back.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#48]
nice gun for a first one. tippmans are good first round markers. if u ever needs info on paintball ever again email me i can help big time used run a business in paintball and played tourements up and down west coast.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Tippman would be my choice for a first gun for anyone. I started with a spyder compact 2000. Vertical co2 bottle and a 9 volt revolution loader.

I have never shot an A5 but the thing I hated about the model 98's was the length. Even with that crappy 8'' barrel they were LONG. I have been thinking about getting into rec ball again if I can get my buddies to play. May buy a stock autococker if people will play.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top