Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/30/2004 11:57:15 AM EDT
What do you guys think are the best AK-74 mags to get?  I was looking at some at K-VAR but I did'nt know if one type was better than the other or is there another place to buy them?
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 12:04:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#2]
i say bakelites
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer the bakelites. Some of the black poly mags have excess flashing that can cause the follower to bind in certain circumstances. They are both great mags,  but IMO, the bake's are a hair more foolproof.
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 2:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
who sells the bakelites?  It looked like all the K-Var ones were polymer
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got 16 black Bulgarian polymer mags. They all work great and didn't cost a fortune.
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 3:34:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The east german bakers & the bulgy polys both work well in all mine. For me it's a fashion statement, depending on which rifle I'm using at the time. They are both good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I prefer the E.G.  they function perfectly.  

I bought a couple of Bulgarian and I had to file the rear locking tab down a "little bit".   They release properly now and function perfectly also.  

The E.G. mags can no longer be found at a "reasonable" price these days. (under$6)  That being the case, I am going to stick with the Bulgarians.     Ohio Rapid Fire and K-var have good $$$.
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2004 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I bought a couple of Bulgarian and I had to file the rear locking tab down a "little bit".   They release properly now and function perfectly also.....

Just about every Bulgarian polymer mag I've bought (black circle 10, brown, fire brick & saddle brown) has needed a bit of tweaking.  All the E German bakelites snap right in from the get-go, same for the plum Russian.

Link Posted: 7/30/2004 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for your input guys!  I just scored some Bakelite ones from a fellow user!
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'f anyone is interested, I may be able to find a few of the EG pouch kits. I just got 4, they included 4 new bakelite mags, 4 stripper clips, 1 stripper clip loader, cleaning kit (though not a buttstock kit) and a blank firing attachment and the pouch. Everything still packaged in the sealed plastic as it came from Europe. I paid $25/ea plus $15 shipping.

If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll see if they have anymore.

Blank firing attatchment......I did'nt know what the hell that thing was????
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Blank firing attatchment......I did'nt know what the hell that thing was????

Years ago when I bought my first AK74 mag pouch kits at a gunshow it took me a bit of guesswork to figure out what they were myself. Funny thing is mine are both 14x1 left hand thread instead of 22 or 24mm.

Any thoughts? Both sets were in sealed plastic bags when I bought them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2004 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 7:12:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I bought a couple of Bulgarian and I had to file the rear locking tab down a "little bit".   They release properly now and function perfectly also.  

The E.G. mags can no longer be found at a "reasonable" price these days. (under$6)  That being the case, I am going to stick with the Bulgarians.     Ohio Rapid Fire and K-var have good $$$.

What kind of problems were you having that you had to do that?  

I am having a problem with my AK74, every 4 or 5 shots a round misses the barrel and it goes up a little bit causing a jam, I wondered if the black poly mags have something to do with this. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of problems were you having that you had to do that?  

The rear locking tab was too thick for the latch to engage.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#17]
The bakelites are good mags.

They are light and tough as hell.
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Bulgy black plastic are the best.
The bakelites that RPBUSA.com sells are the best for the price (I got 22 at 4.25 a pop. VERY nice guy to do business with, nevermind the low prices!)
Link Posted: 10/27/2004 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am having a problem with my AK74, every 4 or 5 shots a round misses the barrel and it goes up a little bit causing a jam, I wondered if the black poly mags have something to do with this. Any ideas?

SAR2, kit build? Details needed for steering.

Thanks for the response, This is a Bulgarian kit that was put together by Independence Arms, with a
OOW Receiver, K-Var, Red Star adjust Trigger. I hope this helps.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top