Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/12/2004 11:03:53 AM EDT
I'm looking to get an AK.  I don't want a newbie rifle and money is of no concern, however, I don't want to waste money on a preban this close to the sunset.  I don't want an AK that has anything permantly affixed to it to make it postban legal, which would be hard to change after Sept.

I am looking for something historically accurate to what a foreign military is/was using.  I can built/modify it myself if I need to and I would like to buy a rifle that would be a good base to start a project.

What is the difference between a Romanian SAR-1 and SAR-2?  What is involved in putting a bayo lug on a SAR after Sept?  What about a folding stock?  What are my choices for a folding stock?  Who stocks good AK parts?

Also, what is the closest thing in semiauto that the Russian military now carries?

What about underfolders?

Any other recommendations?

thanks
Scott
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#1]
SAR-1 = 7.62x39mm

SAR-2 = 5.45x39mm

IIRC, the Russian military now uses the 5.45x39mm round exclusively.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I would look into the Bulgarian SA-M7 or a Hungarian ak-47.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 12:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I would look into the Bulgarian SA-M7 or a Hungarian ak-47.

Anywhere I could get one?  Any pics?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:38:41 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want a great Ak-74 for your first rifle and have the money.  Get the SEAK posted at the top of the topic page.  You can't go wrong and it is costum build and comes with a year warrenty.

Sar-2.  I have one and love it.  If you don't mind the cosmetics and get a good one with straight gas block and front site, you are good to go.

If you want a milled Ak, can't go wrong with an Arsenal SAM in 7.62.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
The SEAK is a  big bang for the buck!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want something serious that's very close to issue AKs, go with a 'Krinkov' (AKS-74U). The only difference is a 16" barrel (threaded FSB is there, but its WAY down from the end of the BBL, so it doesn't need to be permenantly fixed) and obvious semi-auto capabilities. Changing both differences is a solid 15 minutes worth of work with the proper tools. Get a $200 SBR tax-stamp for it after the sunset, and pull the pin out of the folding stock. Voila, you've got a neutered AKS74U.

PIC as sold with 16" barrel and pinned stock

AKS74U

The commie version of our SOPMOD kit (minus optics [Kobra and 3.5x21P -or- 1P29]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 4:35:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
the russians have issued the 5.45 x 39 ak-74 to their soldiers since 1974.

i wouls recommend the seak rifle as the most authentic clone that is currently on the market. definitely NOT a newbie kalashnikov!

Does it have a permantely affixed brake?  How would I put a bayo lug on it?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:44:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Brake is spot welded.  Bayo lugs are there, small weld on lug keps the bayo from being attached.  They are preban until Sept. 15, then a couple on minutes with the dremel and you have a post preban.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't want anything that is welded that I will have to cut off.  I don't mind changing out parts, but I don't want to do anything that involves grinding or a dremel tool.

How is the brake put on the real Russian AK74?
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm looking to get an AK.  I don't want a newbie rifle and money is of no concern, however, I don't want to waste money on a preban this close to the sunset.  I don't want an AK that has anything permantly affixed to it to make it postban legal, which would be hard to change after Sept.

I am looking for something historically accurate to what a foreign military is/was using.  I can built/modify it myself if I need to and I would like to buy a rifle that would be a good base to start a project.

What is the difference between a Romanian SAR-1 and SAR-2?  What is involved in putting a bayo lug on a SAR after Sept?  What about a folding stock?  What are my choices for a folding stock?  Who stocks good AK parts?

Also, what is the closest thing in semiauto that the Russian military now carries?

What about underfolders?

Any other recommendations?

thanks
Scott

I was just new to the Ak world and got my first one, it was an SEAK, i too didnt want a POS, and ORF did a nice job with my AK-74 in 5.56 by 39 mm it is a sweet lil round to shoot and very light and accurate!

just my .02

CoLd
Link Posted: 5/13/2004 5:53:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top