Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/8/2004 4:50:04 PM EDT
Hi folks,

New to AKs, and I'm considering a couple of first purchase options.
I had several questions I thought that I would field for those with experience here in the forums.

1) How accurate are the Robinson VEPR II's ?

2) Where can I find good ballistics info on the 7.62 round ?

2) Do the Elcan scopes that fit on the standard AK scope mount work for left-handed shooters (or is the scope angled to the left of the AK receiver ?

3) Are the "drum" type magazines legal to own in Texas ?

4) What civilian model AK closest resembles what the Russian Army carries today ?

Thanks for your time.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 8:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
1.) Check the Robinson Armament site. They are among the most accurate AKs available.

2.) Not sure, have you checked the ammo forum?

2.5) They should work just fine, AFAIK.

3.)  Yes

4.) Probably the SAR-2, albeit it is missing the muzzle brake, and availbility is very limited. As far as a custom build, the SEAK matches quite well, except for the U.S. made parts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a VEPR you wont be disappointed the best AK ive ever owned, The reciever is real nice its a reinforced RPK reciecver, real sturdy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for the info.

I'm leaning towards the VEPR K in 7.62 x 39.

Anyone mind explaining to me why the high-capacity ammo drums are legal on the AK where they aren't legal on the AR-15 ?

Anyone know the effective ranges of the VEPR II and VEPR K (20" Barrel compared to a 16" barrel) ?
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
They are legal on AR's; they are just very expensive.  BTW, Texas is very gun friendly.  Just about anything short of illegal length weapons (lacking a SBR stamp) and illegal full-auto weapons are not a problem.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]
"Anyone know the effective ranges of the VEPR II and VEPR K (20" Barrel compared to a 16" barrel) ?"

5.45x39 and 7.62x39 were designed for full burn in 16", so 20" only adds mass stability and sight radius with irons. 5.56x45 needs 20" for full burn, and will have an effective range change between bbl lengths. The AR side and ammo-oracle.com should have those details by bbl length, 5.56 round model, and velocity at varied distances.

Due to short eye relief of the PO3.5x I do not recommend it for the 7.62 recoil.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
The Key on the Drum magazine question is manufacture date.  The communists made millions of these drums prior to 1994.  Those you see on the market were allegedly, and as far as anyone can prove, manufactured prior to the cutoff date.
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again for the info.

I'm thinking of buying the POSP 6x42 scope for a VEPR K 7.62.
The eye relief is 2.7". Is that sufficient for the recoil of the round ?

Link Posted: 5/10/2004 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#9]
yes on the 6x42
Link Posted: 5/10/2004 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the reply!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top