Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 6:49:48 PM EDT
I get the monthly magazine from FAC.  Every month I look at the "US conversion of Bulgarion Manufactured AK Rifle w/ Milled Receiver" (SLR101-S4).  Price is $484.95 w/ US made OD green sotck set and side rail mount.  It has what looks like an AK-74 style muzzle break.

I have 2 AK's (Maadi in 7.62x39 and an SAR-2), and would like to get another 7.62x39 AK.  I have looked at the SAM-7's as well, but they are higher priced $588.95 w/ siderail mount.  

Anything good / bad w/ the SLR's.  Would I be better off spending the $100 extra for the SAM-7, or is an SAR-1 just as good?

Thanks,

Brad
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#1]
i have the black version. model slr101sb. the damn thing kicks all ass!!! seriously, it is a wonderful rifle. the magwell is nice and tight and it is very accurate. it is my first ak and i did not want to go el cheapo (sorry if i step on toes) with a sar-1. it is about 80-100$ cheaper than the sam-7s and i love the fact that it was made in bulgaria. just one of those little idiosyncricies that make life grand. i got ripped by paying 650.00 for mine, but i handled it and it was love at first sight (no pun intended). give it a try you WILL love it!!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto the previous post.  I got the green one and couldn't be happier.  Yes the magwell is tight but the mags fit solid, no rocking.  If having a cleaning rod mounted under the barrel is worth $100 to you, get the sam.  If not you can't go wrong with the slr101.  My price was a bit lower, but if I had to pay $650 for it or $750 for the sam with the optics rail my choice would be the same.  If you're gonna get one better jump soon, arsenal BG has announced they'll cut back production of milled guns soon.  The pipeline could dry up and prices will increase.

The brake on the bulgy rifles is called a shark gill brake I think.  It is about 2" long with 4-5 sets of vertical slats in it.  It's said to be effective as a brake and some have reported good as a flash hider too(shhhh!).  I had mine removed before I even shot it so I can't comment first hand.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I Have a green one. Paid $490 NIB. Its kick ass. Get one. WarDawg
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I acquired one about a year ago.  About $560 with tax.  Great trigger, fit and finish.  I have to sort mags to fit sometimes.  I really just need to trim alittle off the mag catch.  The green furniture is the way to go.  Chicks dig it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top