Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/5/2004 9:43:28 PM EDT
Anyone know the fair value of a Norinco underfolder 7.62x39 with slant brake? Wondering if I should get it or hope for the AWB sunset, assuming if it does one could put an underfolder on a post ban MAC 90. Also is $350 fair for NIB MAC 90? Thanks. Dogear
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:49:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Couple years ago I paid 1200 for a NIB perfect Norinco Underfolder...box, all the accessories, 3 magazines in the box, everything. Still had the original grease on the gas piston and bolt. Don't even think the bolt had ever been thrown back on it.

I recently paid about $700 for a used fixed-stock Norinco. It appears prices have come down recently (Gee, I wonder why..even though they're still banned from importation...)

If it's used, figure $850 or so, maybe a touch more depending on what it comes with...
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Mildly on the subject...when the AWB goes away, will Norino/Polytech/Mitchell be re-allowed for import, since it's the AWB that bans them by name?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:35:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mildly on the subject...when the AWB goes away, will Norino/Polytech/Mitchell be re-allowed for import, since it's the AWB that bans them by name?

No.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Oooookkk, and why not?  What prohibits them from import?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#7]
It's the Chinese arms import ban, nothing to do with the AWB, AFAIK.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#8]
When did ChiCom arms get banned?  Just wanting to know for my own edification.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#9]
1989. Along with HK, Steyr...and every other arms manufacturer that did not happen to be located within the United States.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Actually there is a ban that specifies no Chinese arms what so ever.  

This one specifies Chinese arms
www.tibet.ca/en/wtnarchive/1994/5/29_3.html

This one specifies anything from Norinco
www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2003-05-22-norinco-usat_x.htm
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
1989. Along with HK, Steyr...and every other arms manufacturer that did not happen to be located within the United States.

That's incorrect.  Norinco rifles (MAK-90, NHM-90, NHM-91) continued to be imported up until the at least 1993.  The 1994 AWB, banned them by brand name.  I've got three such rifles, which were imported in '91, '92 and '93.

What I'm looking for is what, after/other the '94 AWB, banned Norinco (and Polytech and Mitchell) from being imported and sold once the ban sunsets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, so on 05/26/94, Clinton banned Chinese-made rifles from being imported.

On 05/22/03, Bush banned any imports from Norinco (firearms, toys, food, clothing, whatever Norinco might have their fingers in) from being imported for two years (expiring 05/22/05, one could assume?).

So, anyone got a link to the text of the '94 Clinton ban?  I'd be interested to see if there's any clauses in it that might allow Chicom rifles back in the country, or if it specifically bans ALL ChiCom rifles, or certain ones (i.e. does it ban Polytech M14's, and the like?).

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#13]
The reason the prices of preban AKs came down alittle is because most people refused to pay the outrageous prices that were being asked for the guns. There comes a time when people have to be realistic as to those prices. I recently paid $650 for a polytech full stock preban, in excellent condition and $725 for a Norinco AKS in .223 full stock also a preban. If the AWB drops like it should I dont think you will see them go any lower than the honestly priced ones are right now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I will chime in on my thoughts about what will happen to the value of Chinese AK's if the ban does sunset, and isn't replaced quickly. I think that the value will come down, I think this for several reasons. The first reason is the only reason that they are so expensive right now is that they are in limitied supply, and there is a signigant demand, prior to the AWB there were other AK's on the market, but the vast majority of what was available was Chinese, so today if you want an underfolder AK that actually folds your only choice is a preban, and once you get to looking you will find that for every preban AK you find for sale that isn't made in China there will be ten Chinese rifles in similar configuration, what I am getting at is the for now when talking preban, the chinese rifles are the only game in town. I believe that absent the ban there will be an abundance of AK's with evil features available (think SAR1's with folding side folders and bayo lugs for well under $400), so that will eliminate alot of demand for the Chinese guns right there, of course there will still be the more discerning buyers who want the superior quality of the Chinese guns, and they will still be willing to pay for that quality, which will keep the prices of like new Chinese rifles inline with what a high end custom build or US made gun goes for.

To make it short with a steady supply of sub $400 evil feature sporting rifles becoming available the demand for the "preban" rifles will diminsh expotentially, however the demand for a well built high quality AK will keep the value of the chinese guns higher than what a NIB SAR1 will go for, regardless of how many evil features they have. My guess would put a LNIB 7.62 Norinco, with bayo lug and underfolder selling for around $650-$750, and only slightly less for the non folders. Also don't forget that there are hordes of MAK90's out there that will be fair game to add required US content, that will probably go pretty cheap, being that they aren't "true AKs" ( there is a stigma that comes with a Thumbhole stock that all of the synthetic furniture in the world can't wash off). I myself will be looking for deals on MAK90's starting about the third week of Sept. (I want a Chinese underfolder real bad, but I am not willing to pay big bucks for a preban yet).
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#15]
It wont drop for one reason...theres only so many Chinese prebans here......no more ever again. Sure you can take a post ban gun and try to make it look like a preban...but its still a post ban gun.
I think Id rather have my Chinese preban instead of a Romanian pre ban. If they start shipping european pre ban AKs over here the prices will be rediculusly high.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top