Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 9:38:39 AM EDT
Picked up a WASR-10 at a recent gun show.  Took it to the indoor range Saturday.  Shoots better than I expected for a sub-$300 gun.  Ran the 30 and 40 rd mags through 3 times each.  No jams!!!

A couple of questions for you AK guru's:  Half of one of the pins on the gas block just fell out.  Is this like an AR, and it is just a pin?  If so where can I get a replacement?  If not, what do I need to do?  Second, is it normal for melted lube to come out around the gas block the first time you heat it up good?

Oh, and no trigger slap!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:03:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Half of one? Part of the hole is full? Whatever happened, the part is low tech and another can give you specs for a suitable replacement piece.

Oozing oil from the first few heats is very normal.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, just half.  I did a double take when I first saw it sticking out.  It was about 1/8 inch out on one side, but the other side is still there.  I pushed it back in, but the next time I looked it was gone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 11:36:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Before you took it to the range, did you disassemble and...clean it? Oil out of the gas block is NOT normal. It means its still filled with preservative. I hope you at least cleaned the bore before firing.  The pin may have been forced out by hydraulic pressure of the grease. Suggest you disassemble and degrease. No oil or lube in the gas block/ports. Heat will carbonize grease/oil and cause blockage. Reference Gun 101...always disassemble, inspect and clean before firing. Helps you to understand the mechanics should something crap out in the field.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I took everything apart that did not require knocking out pins or drilling rivets.  Cleaned the bore thoroughly, same with gas tube, bolt, recoil spring set, gas plunger, etc, etc.  Now that I think about it, I did forget to pull out the pipe cleaners and clean out the gas port in the barrel and the portion of the tube just off the barrel, but I cleaned as far into the block as my swab would go.  I'm pretty sure this has to be coming from between the barrel and gas block.  The gun functions and cycles fine.  Like I said, I didn't have a single jam.  BUT, yes I did clean it before shooting it.  This is my first and only AK, but not my first gun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
New AKs are packed so full of cosmoline that its impossible to clean all of the oil from the crevaces,it is normal for oil to ooze out of the crevaces on a new AK!The gas port on an AK is big enough to handle the small amount of carbon left over.
  As for the pin,I've seen the FSB pins and gas block pins crack on installation and sometimes some of it falls out.The gas block and FSB are press fit and have two pins each,functionally you're fine but if you decide to replace the pins call K-Var,Global Trades,Tapco or most other AK parts outlets for a new set.Enjoy your new AK and Welcome To The Dark Side!
Link Posted: 5/4/2004 6:26:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, I assumed it was OK, just wanted to make sure.  It took a while to get all the cosmo that I could reach, so I just assumed it was normal.  I won't worry about the pin.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top