Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/1/2004 2:34:58 PM EDT
I purchased a number of items from him and followed his case. One thing I have been unable to find out is what happen to his legal appeal and the two (or more) lawsuits him had against the government. I think after his conviction the judge didn't allow the feds to take (and destroy) his inventory pending his appeal/lawsuits. Anyone have any details?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Did they let him keep all the mags, ammo and accesories that he had in bond and cleared warehouses or did they confiscate it all as contraband?  I am sure they took the firearms in question but he had massive quantities of other items than firearms.  That poor kid got the shaft!
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#3]
as a wise man once said

...."he's probably sitting in that cell plotting his revenge."
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone have an address for him?  

Take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:43:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Campy, or anybody else, I've heard of the Chief but all this went down before I started hanging out on AK forums. It sure seems like he's highly thought of and got something he didn't deserve. Unlike others.

What happened?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:02:21 PM EDT
[#9]
damn i had never heard that side/part of the story. i figured he screwed himself. that just doesnt seem right to me. im sorry that he didnt realize the kind of person he was dealing with. how the hell can an appeal be denied? what if the lawyers had some new info or something? can a judge just say sorry mr your client is sol? not good not good at all
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Campy. That's rather close to what I was thinking. I've met more than a few FFL's that don't seem to think it's neccesary to dot all the i's or cross all the t's, etc. when dealing with the ATF. I stop doing any kind of buisness with them when I run into that lax attitude. Some day it'll bite 'em on the ass and I sure don't want to be invovled.

This and in the Chief's case, evidently, an unscrouplous partner tends to end in a very bad way.

As you said, a very sad, messy story. What a shame.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:27:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
as a wise man once said

...."he's probably sitting in that cell plotting his revenge."

Another wise man said, "God help 'em when he gets out".
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Inmate Register Number: 29182-044  

Name: KEITH BYRON BARANSKI  

Race: WHITE  

Sex: MALE  

Projected Release Date: 7/03/2007  

RD #5, FEDERAL PRISON LEWISBURG , PA 17837  

Phone Number: (570)523-1251

iirc, keith got 60 months and james carmi received 42 months.  

you can locate keith, as aimless posted, thru the federal bureau of prison's inmate locator.

The phone number will get me whom?

Has anyone talked to him?
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 7:10:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#14]
The phone number will get you nothing.  Inmates in the Federal system can not receive calls and can only call those who are on their approved phone list.  You can send him a letter and if it is the chief who knows you might get a reply.  He probably has a lot of time on his hands right now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
..... got some dummied up demo letters by bribing leo's with free machineguns.

And the corrupt LEO's were prosecuted and are in the cell next to keith's?
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 5:53:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree JC. He was always fair to me. He used to drive the AKnet guys crazy when he was drinking Kentucky whiskey. I miss the dude.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..... got some dummied up demo letters by bribing leo's with free machineguns.

And the corrupt LEO's were prosecuted and are in the cell next to keith's?

Of course not.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
how the hell can an appeal be denied? what if the lawyers had some new info or something? can a judge just say sorry mr your client is sol? not good not good at all

IIRC, an appeal is based on perceived errors that occurred during the trial, if a judge, or board of judges, looks at the case and the arguments for the appeal and 'finds' no procedural or legal errors (subjective perception) then the appeal is denied....  Which is lawyer-eeze for "Sorry Mr, you are SOL."
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I simply cannot believe what I am hearing.

" Keith imported some machineguns"

Yeah, with bogus info, falsified FFl, incorrect end user's name. When someone imports 300+ FUNCTIONAL machineguns, SOMEONE may just check into it. These were not kits.

" Some claim Carmi's wife was in on the scam too"

Claim? HA.

" Carmi got some dummied up demo letter's by bribing leo's with free machineguns. Keith imported another batch of machineguns on those letters."

Are you saying Keith had no knowledge of the bogus letters? HA, again.  Keith knew damn good and well the letters were bogus, and stuck his ass on the line anyway.

Yes, Campybob, it is a sad tale when people think they can do an end run around the Customs Dept., ATF, with the blessing's of the local brain dead PD.

I personally have no bad feelings against Keith, but his BUDDY of so many years Mr. Carmi, screwed me to the tune $6000 for an MP5 that mysteriously never showed up at my dealer. Probably had something to do with him being arrested, huh?

These two fuckwits knew exactly what they were doing was illegal, as well as just plain dumb.

As far as the local PD goes, HELL NO no one will end up doing any real time, well uh, gee they are the police!

When questioned by the feds the local PD claimed they were "conducting an investigation on the  importation of illegal weapons." Bullshit. The only thing that was conducted was a large scale operation on how to cover their asses. And they did.

Yes, I was a dumbass for dealing with Carmi. However I had no idea of his past felony convictions. Just like the ATF had no knowledge of a convicted felon "dealer" with no FFL. Anyone wonder why the ATF never offered a public press release? Maybe they did not like the idea of a felon selling machineguns, and thumbing his nose at them. What do you think the media would have done with this?

This mess was the reason I left AK47.convictedfelon.net. It seems I am the bad guy for relaying that Keith got himself into this mess willingly. Yes, Carmi is the turd here, and should burn in hell for the problems he caused Keith and everyone else involved.

Keith knew what he was doing, and unfortunately is paying the price.

Thanks for your time.    
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 8:21:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top