Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 3:46:29 AM EDT
I grabbed a WSAR (converted back to accept staggered mags) & haven't had the chance to fire it yet. I've played around with it and noticed that magazines seem incredibly difficult to insert. Really, it feels like unclasping a girl's bra @ the movies in junior high. There are no problems removing the magazine. Maybe my AR attention has severely impacted my AK handling profiency, but I don't recall my Norinco 56s giving me all this grief. Might there be an issue due to converting it to single stack then restoring the double stack capability, or am I just terribly out of practice?
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:18:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Not uncommon.

Depending on who did the conversion, the mag wells can be fine or just a tad undersize.

In my experience, the receiver sheetmetal at the rear edge of the mag well can have some burrs sticking out from sloppy milling, or the entire rear edge needs to be dressed back a smidge (file-try-repeat; sorta like the measure twice, cut once approach) for mags to lock into place.  What was happening was the rear of the mag was contacting the back edge of the mag well too soon.  Dressing back the rear edge of the mag well (the receiver sheet metal and the front edge of the mag catch lever base) just a bit was all it took.

The other place to look is the top edge of the mag catch lever.  On many of the WASRs that I've "tweaked" for others, the top edge of the mag catch lever was cut at an angle, and merely required a light dressing on the high side with a narrow file (an ignition points file is perfect -- Sears has them) and the mag catch snapped into place readily.  Easy to press and remove the mags, too.

The key is to take a "sticky" mag and the unloaded WASR in bright light or use a flashlight and EXAMINE CLOSELY the mag and where it makes contact, then address those areas accordingly.

HTH,

Noah
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
one more thing to think about is...what county of origin are the mags you are using? i have found the chinese mags(no rib on the back)tend to be very tight in my wasr. the euro mags are a great fit. oh and a chinese drum would not insert at all. i pretty much stick to euro mags just because they will work in all without having to change anything. oh and as to what campy said. i did smooth out the mag well in a few spots. just be sure you are using a euro mag when fitting. if you use a chicom mag then your other mags will be sloppy.
                   later  jay
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#4]
i was at the local fun shop today and i played with a wsar-10  it had the same problem, i on't remember what mag it had in it though.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top