Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2003 6:36:29 PM EDT
I have an oppurtunity to buy an AK47 for about 325 with a 30 rounder and a 5 rounder. Good deal? Bad deal? Is there somewhere I should be looking for a better deal? Which model is better the MAK 90 or the SAR-1? Is it a toss up? I am new to AK's so if someone could educate me as to the differences, if any at all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Personally I would take a MAK over a SAR, as long as the MAK didn't have an angle cut receiver.

At that price, ditto.
Angle cut rec is irrelevant if you are happy with the stock, but makes changes far more difficult.
Good price for a good/straight SAR1 also.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:05:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I would take the  MAK9O too, it's a better quality rifle:

*better quality control
*heavier receiver made of thicker metal
*better trigger has the old double hook style
*heavier barrel
*better internals

I compared a Chinese hammer & bolt carrier to a
Romanian bolt carrier & hammer and noticed the
Romanian parts looked more worn and soft after
only firing 1000 rds!

The Chinese parts have been through over 4,000
rds and the parts were in better condition than
the Romanian parts! much better quality and proper heat treatment for durability. The Chinese parts still looked close to new! no galling or signs of soft metal like on the Romanian parts. The back of the Romanian bolt
carrier actually showed signs of "mushrooming"
from the hammer hitting the back and the bolt
also showed signs of pre-mature wear after only
1000 rds use.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:30:02 AM EDT
[#4]
MAK90.  Fit and finish are better.

Keep in mind if you want to add a pistol grip to it, you will have to spend atleast another $50 in US parts.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#5]
MAK 90 for sure
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I would pick a SAR1.......IF, I could hand pick and inspect it before I bought it. I've never had any luck with MAK 90's!
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
love my mak90.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:21:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would pick a SAR1.......IF, I could hand pick and inspect it before I bought it. I've never had any luck with MAK 90's!

Had three MAK 90s, worst grouping and most rusting-prone of any AK clones that I've owned, which includes SLR95s, SA93, FEG, SARs, Saigas, and a couple preban Norincos.  Obviously my mileage varies, but I'm not going there again.

Noah
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 8:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I would getr the MAK, I really like mine and if you are tall the extra length on the butt-hole stock is really nice.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#10]
MAK-90 hands down.  The chinese like to forge everything.  You won't find a tougher AK.  Spend the extra dollars and retrofit it with the correct Front Sight Base so you can add the cleaning rod.  You won't be disappointed.

Once you get comfortable with the MAK-90, then go out and get yourself a SAR...because you can never have enough AKs.

KF
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:42:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I would only go with the MAK if it is one of the line out guns and has the cleaning rod provision.Otherwise I would recommend a hand picked Romanian.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top