Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/26/2003 10:12:18 AM EDT
With the knowledge up front that I have very little AK experience, what combat-ready AK gear is worth taking into a hot, sandy, dangerous place, and what isn't?

I'm thinking optics, slings, nylon gear, etc. If I end up using one, it won't be one that I can modify extensively.

Any help from the AK cognoscenti would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:16:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 11:28:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you JC.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe one of Blackjack's extended safety levers. Easy switch and allows safety manipulation with trigger finger.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
And possibly a Red Star Arms extended magazine release for those mag changes that need to be done quickly and smoothly?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you are shopping for a pickup in the future. Bring a Kobra (assuming 7.62x39/under 150yds) and a few spare batteries, basic sling, and the best Eurasian gun/mags/ammo you can pick from their dead hands.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Id get a Giles sling thewilderness.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/1_9. You'll have to call them and ask what version will fit your AK.  I have never used one on an AK; however, I have used there slings on FN's and M-16's in the desert and the jungle -- They work, are more comfortable for extended and patrol carry.

You can also go with a sling from cqbsolutions www.cqbsolutions.com I have 'played' with there slings and they have a deployment set up to allow multipe mounting configs - nice if you get somewhere and things arent exactly what you'd been promised.

Between the 2, I like the Giles better, but its a small margin.  Some of its also one of those, "I know the Giles works, why try something new." mentality as well.

3 point slings arent all that 'high speed low drag' anymore (any thers not much to go wrong - no batteries, glass, etc.), theyre cheap and make your life easier.  Hell, if you get there, hate it and throw it away, youre not out much.

Just my.02
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#8]
The RSA mag wing is a great add-on but it requires drilling and that may not be possible. If it is, I recommend one. Adding a small zip-tie around the stock selector will also quiet it down. There's a great thread on easy inexpensive modifications to the AK for self-defense use ove on this forum www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=95
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The RSA mag wing is a great add-on but it requires drilling and that may not be possible. If it is, I recommend one. Adding a small zip-tie around the stock selector will also quiet it down. There's a great thread on easy inexpensive modifications to the AK for self-defense use ove on this forum www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?t=95

thanx for posting a link to that thread, gave me some good ideas.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep it plain and simple just like mr. Kalashnikov intended "simplicity and reliability" are what the AK is famous for...

*Chinese AK slings are my favorite, because they are silent, no rattle or extra noise.

*stick with standard steel 30rd mags

*Chinese 75rd drums are the best design, easier to load and unload, can be left loaded
indefinitly, spring tension can be released by
simply pressing the spring release button and
they are the most reliable AK drum.

*avoid 40 rd mags, they are too long and get in
the way, especially if you shoot from the prone position, they were designed for RPK's
with long bipods.

*standard military stocks are the best, dont
use Thumbhole stocks or Dragonuv stocks, they
are very awkward to use for combat shooting.

*stick with standard 16" barrel AK's, they are
easier to maneuver than the long barrel AK's.

*avoid attaching bipods on your AK, they will turn your rifle into a "land anchor"
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks gents. I wouldn't be able to do any drilling on the weapon, so the speed wing is a no go, but good idas on slings and mags.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 10:44:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top