Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/25/2003 12:22:01 PM EDT
Ya know, one that doesnt have you holding onto the mag after the first hundred rounds or so.
Any new word on that british made SIR system for the kalashnikov?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a Swiss made handguard coming out but DSA won't be carrying it until spring '04.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:47:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Spartan:

Try lining the inside of the lower handguard with aluminum foil (shiny side toward the barrel.

I'm not making this up or screwing with you. It works pretty good.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You mean like the russian/bulgarian synthetic with the heat shield liner?
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Try a Romanian pistol grip front handguard. I believe these are legal on a rifle but not a pistole'. Unless we're talking NFA, then they're both legal. Or...look for a heat insulation material. I've seen stuff advertised in radio control model airplane mags that shield components from heat. Electronic hobby shops. Unlikely places for creative applications. In the "olden days" we could use asbestos wrap from plumbing supply and not worry about cancer. Now, even typing this is probably carcinogenic to someone...
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the current K-var furniture, the bottom handguard is lined with an aluminum plate but this only lasts about 150-200 rounds before you need gloves to touch it.
That swiss system will sell by the boatload.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:42:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I replaced the aluminum heat shields in my Bulgarian forearms with aluminum foil.

It really works. No kidding.

SD
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:14:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Brownells also sells a ceramic heat shield that can be used on just about any weapon. Not sure how effective it is but it's out there. Adding a rail and vertical grip will also fix the problem.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:15:39 AM EDT
[#8]
After nearly catching fire to my cetme forend, I lined it with aluminum foil, six or eight layers thick. Worked like a charm, and very cheap!  Oh, BTW, who has the skinny or some pics on the RIS for the AK???
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:32:05 PM EDT
[#9]
DSA is gonna carry a rail system?!?

Oh yeah! 'Bout time...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 1:42:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm....Space shuttle tile material would be good to use. Some type of Aero-Gel compound would be ideal also. Pretty high tech stuff for an AK though.  
Anyone though of a carbon fiber handguard?
Probably a little cost prohibitive at the moment, but you could paint it a ugly brown color to simulate the realistic finish.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There's a Swiss made handguard coming out but DSA won't be carrying it until spring '04.

Do you have a link to some info on this system?  Reading this post is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:02:16 PM EDT
[#12]
There was a pic of it floating around here a few days ago, maybe on the AR side, it looks exactly like a SIR system for an AR.
Basically a dream come true, imagine being able to swap all my gear from AR to AK in a few seconds!
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm not sure if it FF's the barrel or not.

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
How does it attatch to the AK?...

Does it attatch like the ACE Ltd. scope mount that goes in place of the rear site?..

Thats what I have been waiting for forever!!!..

Im so surprised that it took this long for the industry to do this.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 6:40:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#16]
hi there! i'm kinda new to this forum, reading this thread, i started to search for the swiss made forearm with built in RAIL, i couldn't find it on DSA's site, i looked around and saw this adapter, http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FG&Product_Code=1306&Category_Code=AKA+MISC  

would this work for you guys?

also, i liked the idea of the aluminum foil under the handguard, how many layers should i put in?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#17]
I used something like that on my SAR-3. It worked great for mounting the vertical handguard.

Link Posted: 12/28/2003 2:37:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
....NNNNnnnnnooooo....say it isn't soooooo.... that is blasphomy! In MTK's name do not do this while he is still alive! They can junk up the ARs all they want...just leave the AKs alone... ooohhhh the humanity....

LMAO

Aimpoint and Surefire time!
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#19]
It's called a VEPR......
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Ahhhhhhhh....the power of tinfoil.Lining Ak handguards.....covering our brainpan housing group as anti radiation shields.I am so taken with it's many uses.If only it would "do"windows.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, so does the aluminum placed in the handguards do anything to hurt the barrel? I mean, isn't the heat being kept reflected back towards the hot metal trying to cool a negative thing? Or is the aluminum just reflect it towards the top instead of out the bottom half?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
http://lightfighter.net/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=7336015661&f=7206084761&m=4776023615&p=2

Found this for you. There's been a few good AK postings in the weapons section of the forums.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Tinfoil- Make a big piece so you can fold it down to 8-10 layers thick.  This is big enough to remove and wrap up some nice roadkill for cooking on the engine block on the way home from the range.
Swoopy looking "real" handguard- What are all those numbers for on the Weaver/Picatinney rails?  In fact, what all those rails for?  You sports keep adding the darnedest bunch of stuff to a firearm.  I think back to the time spent reducing anything that might snag or hang up when unassing (insert appropriate mode of conveyance) or traipsing through the bush.  I guess times have changed.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:44:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Or is the aluminum just reflect it towards the top instead of out the bottom half?

Yes.

Foil serves the same function as the aluminum heat shield found in some stock lower handguards. It just does it more efficiently.

Luck,

SD
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top