Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/23/2003 5:47:05 PM EDT
I know that to build an AK-type rifle I would have to buy some part set from say K-VAR and a receiver and send them to someone to get them assembled.  

But while I know where to get part sets, I do not know where, or for that matter who, I can get an AK receiver from.  I have heard of Ohio Ordinance receievers (like the one one the SEAK) but do they make all types of receivers (milled and stamped)?  Do they have a website?  

Any information or a link to a website would be great.  And if for some reason my idea of how to build a rifle is wrong let me know.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Stamped receivers:

Ohio Ordnance Works.

www.ohioordnanceworks.com/parts.htm

ARSENAL USA & GLOBAL TRADES CO.

www.globaltrades.com/new16mmreceivers.html

Milled receivers:

The Firing Line

www.angelfire.com/ok3/firingline/page2.html
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:54:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I am getting an SEAK.  I was just wondering about this for future reference.  Thanks for the answers guys.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Which of the stamped receivers would you consider "more" worth it?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:00:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Most AK affectionados stay away from Hexxe receivers.  Avoid flat receivers that you have to bend into shape (big pain in the neck) and drill/cut mag well, etc.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:29:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The Globaltrades receiver looks good.  I have a Polish PKM kit, that needs a receiver badly.  My inital plan was to get a milled Firing Line receiver for it, but thats like $450, Global offers the 1.6mm receiver customized for under $200.  Looks decent, and its an Arsenal brand (I hope).

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:32:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:35:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...the globaltrades product holds the most promise.....

Yup Global Trades promises alright....now delivery on those promises....that is a completely different story!

IF the product is ever produced.... IF it ever hits market.. IF it is of decent quality... IF priced fairly.... IF their customer service improves.... IF....grandama had balls she would be grandapa etc....etc..

I'll believe a Global Trades product when I see it!

IF....grandama had balls she would be grandapa etc....etc..

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Campy, is it true the OOW receivers need to be fully heat treated before assembling into a AK?
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 5:21:33 AM EDT
[#11]

From the picture that they have one their website, it looks to me they we treated, but they need to be finished either parkerized or blued.

you see all that discoloration? Thats from being heated up (I hope that's not rust).

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]
How long does it take to fully assemble a receiever and a parts kit into a complete rilfe?  Do turn around times differ between the people you choose to make it?  And also, does it have to be assembled by an FFL?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
OOW receivers are heat treated ONLY around the big holes.

Here's what an OOW receiver that's been properly hardened by AK-USA looks like:

Link Posted: 12/24/2003 6:57:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
OOW receivers are heat treated ONLY around the big holes.

Here's what an OOW receiver that's been properly hardened by AK-USA looks like:

www.kythri.net/pictures/oow-ak74-akusa-heattreat_1.jpg

www.kythri.net/pictures/oow-ak74-akusa-heattreat_2.jpg

www.kythri.net/pictures/oow-ak74-akusa-heattreat_3.jpg

www.kythri.net/pictures/oow-ak74-akusa-heattreat_4.jpg

How long was your turn around on haveing that thing heat treated? AK-USA has had mine about a month and Im very ready to get it back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, my turnaround time was about 2 weeks or so.

Call Chris and see what the hold-up is.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks kythri.  I emailed him a couple of days ago and he said he was waiting for them to get back from the heat treater. So I guess I'll wait a little longer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 7:19:22 PM EDT
[#17]
ark what ak are you going to build?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top