Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2003 5:30:30 AM EDT
Can you guys edumacate me a bit on this gun. I'm getting it for him for a sweet ass price but I don't know anything about them and I know I'm gunna get a shit load of questions as I'm the resident gun guru of the group and I hate that cuz everyone expects me to know everything about damn near any gun. But I can't just get him the gun and not be able to tell him anything about it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:41:53 AM EDT
[#1]
What kind of information are you looking for?
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I know it has a 19in barrel and comes with 1-5rd mag and is based on the AK action. Thats all I know. I know nothing else about them. So basicly anything.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#3]
410? Kinda limp IMHO.  Much more fun to shoot the 12 guage. 5 round mags and its built like an AK.  How much are you getting it for?

This is the 12 gauge version...

This is the 410 version....

Hunting stock / forend

Standard capacity magazines

Wide range of calibers or gauges

Sporting sighting system

Built by the original AK factory. Standard features:   Hammer forged chrome lined barrel

Machined steel bolt

AK side scope rail

Polymer magazine and iron sights

Options:

Scope Mount

Checkered wood stock / forend

Polymer stock / forend

Extra magazines

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
.410 is a great shotgun chambering.  As I understand it, .410 is the favored shotgun round of many Russian agencies.  Personally I enjoy target shooting and bunny hunting with a .410 over a 12 or 20 gauge.  The biggest problem I have had with the .410 is its price.  Expect to pay more for a box than you would with either 12 or 20 gauge.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Including the transfer fee I'm getting it for him $185.

I was kinda wondering why a 410 as well. But he wants it for small game and fun. He's been looking around and every other 410 he's found has been way over priced. I don't know why he didn't just go pick up one of the new england arms or savage single shots but hey it's his money and his choice in guns. I don't knock his and he don't knock mine(I'm an AR guy he's an AK guy).
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 7:29:33 AM EDT
[#6]
For small game the 410 is ideal.  Thats a great price!
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For small game the 410 is ideal.  Thats a great price!

Yah I don't think he'd find anything cheaper. One of the guys I shoot with on a regular basis is a dealer and I'm paying $10 over his cost, not including the transfer fee. I'm kinda ticked actually because I just found out I could have just gone through him and gotten a lot of other stuff for my ARs and my AK at his cost. Though it will help out now since I got three AR projects comming up over the next year.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the .410 bore saige is a riot! it's lots of fun to shoot and probably the most reliable of the saiga scatterguns.

i hate to say it, but those cheap, sleazy saigas are accurate and consistant.

photoman, .410's are WAY up in value in my area right now. a nice browning or winchester? you'ld think it was made in italy by a 'name' builder! a ruger red label in .410 bore might require a second mortgage!

the saiga is perfect for some birds and rabbits and squirrels. it's perfect for women and children, also.

corporal, ever try trap with a .410? it's a hoot!

I believe that the child part of yout post is his reason for getting it, at least thats what he'll tell the wife. His grand son will be three this summer and I think he's looking forward to when the youngster is old enough to start shooting.

At two and a half the kid has a decent concept of fire arm safety already. We had the shot guns out for my buddies nephew to decide which one he wanted to take pheasant hunting in January. The youngin was in the living room with us when his momma came down stairs and she went to pick it up(action open nothing in it.) But she put her finger in the trigger guard. The little one set her straight on that one. nothing like hearing a two and a half year old tell his mom "don't put your finger in there" and point to the trigger. I would have never believed it had I not been there. I wish I'd have had a video camera when that happened cuz that would have been priceless, still is, but documenting it on video would have been great.

I think him being around when we used to clean guns on the picnic table in the backyard kinda wore off on him. His grandpa and I have been teachin him gun safety since last summer basicly.

Of course this is a kid who can operate a VCR like a pro and is starting to get the hang of the DVD player. He can also tell the differance between a 3/8in and 1/4 in rachet. Of course by the time he was 2 he could pronounce my last name correctly, something most adults can't even do, and it's not that hard to pronounce either. He never stops amazing me. I hope if I ever have kids that mine are just like him.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I was kinda wondering why a 410 as well. But he wants it for small game and fun. He's been looking around and every other 410 he's found has been way over priced. I don't know why he didn't just go pick up one of the new england arms or savage single shots but hey it's his money and his choice in guns. I don't knock his and he don't knock mine(I'm an AR guy he's an AK guy).

I hate playing devils advocate but I just wanna warn you to be weary of the straw purchase.  Hate it when people get in trouble for stuff they didn't even know was illegal.

Campy, of course I have.  
I grew up hunting all kinds of small game with my trusty .410.  Started off with a Savage single shot as my first shotgun, then one Christmas my pop bought me a little Mossberg Defender in .410.  Man I loved that Mossberg, wish I still had it.  It was great watching my dad and friends lugging heavy ass 12 qauge 870s (great guns) after a long day of hunting while I had a nice lightweight .410.  I'm going to need to get another one.  Hell, I should get one of these Saigas.  I've been thinking about for awhile, and the price is great.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:13:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't want to hijack, but I have a quick question and it seems appropriate for this thread.  Why hasn't the Saiga series been remade into American guns and equipped with pistol grip stocks and such.  Has anyone tried it?  Don't the Rifle caliber Saigas get converted?  I'd love to get me a Saiga 12 with a pistol grip stock and some spare mags.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate playing devils advocate but I just wanna warn you to be weary of the straw purchase.  Hate it when people get in trouble for stuff they didn't even know was illegal.

Campy, of course I have.  
I grew up hunting all kinds of small game with my trusty .410.  Started off with a Savage single shot as my first shotgun, then one Christmas my pop bought me a little Mossberg Defender in .410.  Man I loved that Mossberg, wish I still had it.  It was great watching my dad and friends lugging heavy ass 12 qauge 870s (great guns) after a long day of hunting while I had a nice lightweight .410.  I'm going to need to get another one.  Hell, I should get one of these Saigas.  I've been thinking about for awhile, and the price is great.

Unless he is disqualifed in any way from owning a firearm it is not a straw purchace. Besides he's giving me the money i'm giving it to the guy whos getting the gun and my friend is filling out the paperwork, so it's far from a straw purchace. I just see the guy who's ordering it on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#13]
To answer the question above about a pistol grip 12 or 20 gauge saiga, DON'T.  It is illegal.  The .410 is a caliber, not a bore, so in theory you can convert it, but I still wouldn't.  The rifles are ok, as long as you have 5 US made parts, 6 if it has a muzzle brake.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]

the saiga is perfect for some birds and rabbits and squirrels. it's perfect for women and children, also.

Campy don't do it!

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
To answer the question above about a pistol grip 12 or 20 gauge saiga, DON'T.  It is illegal.  The .410 is a caliber, not a bore, so in theory you can convert it, but I still wouldn't.  The rifles are ok, as long as you have 5 US made parts, 6 if it has a muzzle brake.  

Okay, but why is it illegal?  I'm just curious, as I have yet to acquire the skills necessary to do anything like this.  

Unless he is disqualifed in any way from owning a firearm it is not a straw purchace. Besides he's giving me the money i'm giving it to the guy whos getting the gun and my friend is filling out the paperwork, so it's far from a straw purchace. I just see the guy who's ordering it on a regular basis.

Well, I'm confused, but you have the facts, so good on ya.  Its just that the friggin' ATF has so many laws that are so difficult to keep track of, I don't want stumbling into trouble if it can be avoided.

AJjer_Bullets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Campy don't do it!

Link Posted: 12/23/2003 6:50:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Campy don't do it!

I keep a 410 Saiga under the back seat of the truck for varmints, etc. (because its cheap), but it is super reliable and a hoot to shoot. My mag only holds 4 rds though (?)
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#18]
is there any high cap mags for them?? it looks fun, but if there was a high cap it would be even funner...
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
is there any high cap mags for them?? it looks fun, but if there was a high cap it would be even funner...

LEO only, until September.

I have the 12g and Campman is right. These are indeed fun good shooters. I am no big shotgun guy, and not big into Ruskie guns. But this gun is a workhorse as guns go, and is downright fun.

Did I say how much fun it was... A Bump fired shotgun, who will believe me....?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Will they be able to have a pistol grip in september, or is that part of the '89 ban too?
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#21]
According to various BATF regs and the '89 and '94 importation and assault weapons bans, You can have a rifle with a pistol grip, high cap, as long as it has no more than 10 imported parts.  You cannot have a pistol grip shotgun with a detachable mag, as this was one type of weapon that they were really cracking down on (think Street Sweeper).  If the '94 ban expires, you should be able to do a pistol grip saiga shotgun just like you would do a saiga rifle, but you will still need to watch your parts count.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:22:25 PM EDT
[#23]
it's you're own fault!
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 12:16:42 PM EDT
[#24]
How many .410 shells to LEO High caps hold?

OH, NO!!! Another thing I need to buy september 04!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top