Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/22/2003 3:40:38 PM EDT
Has anyone had any luck with the SAR-1 wood in refinishing it?  I am thinking about refinishing some SAR wood to see how it comes out but i am not sure what the origonal finish is on the stock. It looks like some type of oil fininsh, but i'm not exactly sure what the heck it is.

any ideas??

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen some successful attempts at refinishing that wood, but I gave up and ordered a new set from Ironwood.  

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I redid mine with good results. I used a wood finish remover. A little sanding and steelwool, then a couple coat of TruOil.
Looks like gun woood should. Not shiny and shity looking.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW, Azezarms will refinish it for you for $35.

Just in case you might like to know.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:23:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I think the original finish is some kind of polyurethane. It comes off with some chemical stripper easily enough. Then sand, steel wool, stain, steel wool again and use TruOil to build up a really nice finish.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I've refinished 4 complete SAR stock sets flawlessly.I strip the varnish off corsegrit drywall screen then lightly sand.One application of tung oil and then two coats of minwax polyshades(any colors)and then perfecto!
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I refinished the laminated wood on my SAR-1 by sanding it down(it was pretty rough), giving it a couple of coats of Minwax dark walnut stain, then about 10 or 15 coats of Minwax wipe on poly(sounds harder than it actually was).. I then knocked off the gloss with a little super fine steel wool, and wiped the whole thing down with Ballistol - it isn't high gloss(I didn't want it to be too shiny), but the poly finish is tough, and will protect the wood for years against the elements...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I used chestnut ridge  military stain "with a hint of red".  Brushed it on, it penetrated the oil finish. topcoated with minwax satin spray poly.  I think it looks great.  I followed the instructions from linx310's site. I did not strip the wood b/c it was laminated, and oiled not painted and laquered.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 3:35:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Or for those with less time and wives who hate the smell of wood finishes in progress, get new blond Bulgy wood sets from FAC for about $60.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is mine, before and after pics.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top