Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2003 12:06:35 AM EDT
Hello

I recently purchased a AK gas piston from a fellow board member ,  He said it was US made .

I have heard that a magnet won't stick to one  because magnets don't stick to stainless steel but they do , so how can you tell if it is US ,

Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:37:15 AM EDT
[#1]
A US made gas piston will have 3 gruves machined in the front. Commie pistons have only 2.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 3:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#3]
How can you tell if its stainless steel ?
Thanks

Bill
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How can you tell if its stainless steel ?
Thanks

Bill

are the threads the same color as the rest of the piston? if they are then it is stainless. if the threads are black/ish then it is most likely chromed steel.
                 later  jay
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
S/S is not attracted to a magnet.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
That is a myth Slash.  It all depends on the type of stainless involved.  Many will attract a magnet.  Like AW said, every US piston I have seen has 3 grooves around the end.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top