Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 10:17:42 PM EDT
So today I bump fired my SAR-1 for the first time.  Actually it hadn't been fired much at all before this so I don't know if this is a general problem or a problem with firing too rapidly.  Anyway, a spent casing got lodged SIDEWAYS in the receiver, pushing the left part of the upper receiver out a little bit and the neck of the casing wedged just below the ejection port.  That is, the long axis of the shell casing was perpendicular to the long axis of the receiver.

I have no idea how this could have happened.  Is this a common type of jam?  Or only when firing really rapidly?  It was wedged in so tight I had to just bring it home and extract it with needlenose pliers.  I MIGHT have been able to knock it up and out if i'd tried hard enough, but it was getting late.

Any comments appreciated.

James
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:24:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Strange.....
If the rifle is fairly new then you might not have cleaned it up after you got it home???  Maybe?  Right out of the box I have found them to be stiff, in need of a flushing out of all the heavy grease and properly lubed.  I did this with mine once, and have fired close to 1000 rds with out cleaning, and it keeps getting better.  Clean out all the cosmo with brake cleaner, apply some silicone lube, and you should be good to go.
I think the action being just a touch slow from newnes may have caused the malfunction, which would only be the case if you were firing FA, or bumping.  Just my .02, any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#2]
AH it was only a stove pipe jam.  
It happends to all guns.

If it happends again or a third time THEN you have a problem with your AK.

Other than that stop limp wristing your AK!

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Similar things have happend to me while bumping my sar 1. I just clear it and continue. Like Bishop says if it happens several times during a dump then you may have a problem.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top