Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/17/2003 8:02:48 PM EDT
At the risk of sounding like a dumbass...

Could someone explain to me this "US Part Count" crap!  I'm new to AK's and I see this referenced in a lot of posts.  I'm guessing that there is some kind of law, but...

-St
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Current ATF regs state that the gun can not have more than 10 imported parts, by their definition of part, for assault weapons. 11 foreign parts is a 'minor' felony, regardless of the US parts added.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#2]
For example, the SAR series of AK variants have a US pistol grip, gas piston, and fire control group(3 parts)to be compliant.

I know its kind of blasphamy, there is a sticky on the Romanian fourm over on dot.nuts that lays it out well.

US PARTS
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Hell, we've got a pinned topic on our AK ABCs forum here.

THE Parts Count Question
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Well there you go.  It is obvious I need to get out of the General AK discussion and peruse the rest of the board.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well there you go.  It is obvious I need to get out of the General AK discussion and peruse the rest of the board.

You and me both!  Thanks for the responses.  I think I understand it now... ... although it does seem pretty lame to me.  But, hell, what else would a politician do without his head up his ass?

-St
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but parts count goes something like this:

Milled receiver, no muzzle device = 4 US parts required.
Milled receiver, muzzle device = 5 US parts required.
Stamped receiver, no muzzle device = 5 US parts required.
Stamped receiver, muzzle device = 6 US parts required.

RSA FCG = The best, for about $80.  (3 parts)
K-Var US polymer furniture = The best, for about $80.  (3 parts)

OOW Receiver = $65 + FFL fees (1 part)

You could also throw in a US made brake or gas piston - there's a lot of those floating around.

RSA and Krebs make gas pistons, and there's plenty of brake people...

Parts count on new AK's are hella easy.  It's these damn Chinese rifles that I want to put Russian furniture on that's a bitch...  
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:53:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes.
ATF considers the trunion another part, milled just screws the bbl into the rec, so no trunion.

Russian on Chinese? HTS, piston, and fudge the grip seems best. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 6:02:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Ah hah!  You forgot the brake!

My NHM-91's have muzzle nuts on them, so I need a sixth part.

I've got the RSA FCG (3), RSA Gas Piston (1) and US Pistol Grip (1) - I've pseudo-solved the search for the brake, though - I'm going to have ORF pick the suitable one for me, and then just pay them for it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top