Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/14/2003 6:18:35 AM EDT
A friend of mine brought me a box of 7.62x39 in a silver Norinco box. He wanted to know if the stuff was steel core or what. It's a lot heavier than normal FMJ or HP 7.26x39 and has all dark brown laquered casings with a copper FMJ. Markings on the base are 71 at the top of the primer and 93 at the bottom.

Anyone know what this stuff is?

I figured I'd post here before I pulled one and cut it down in case one of you guys have ever seen this ammo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I guess I am going to have to go ahead and cut one. It's probably 50% heavier than a normal FMJ round.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
i BOUGHT 2 CASES OF 7.62X39MM IN THE MID 90'S.  FIRST WAS 2 STEEL TIN CASES DATED 1967. ARMOR PIERCIND, 1,100 RDS IN STRIPPER CLIPS FOR $130.00 GREAT AMMO NOT BRASS THOUGH. THE SECOND CASE WAS A WOOD CASE WITH INDIVIDUAL BOXES OF 20 RDS. SILVER BOX W/ I THINK RED LETTERS, DARK BROWN CASINGS. 1.200 RDS FOR $100.00. I PULLED ROUND WITH A PR OF VISE GRIPS AND SCRATCHED THE BASE OF THE BULLET AND INDEED IT WAS STEEL. NO COPPER JACKETING ON THE BASE. I'M NOT SURE IF THE BOXES SAY AP. I DON'T THINK SO BUT THEY WERE AND SHOOT GREAT.

BILLYXM15
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 5:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]
A guy told me once that steel core had red lacquer and lead core had green.

I only have one stripper clip of steel core and it follows this.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top