User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/10/2003 9:13:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! That had to have been an awesome trip. Hawaii is one of my dream destinations, problem is I doubt I'd come home! To have been there for the December 7th ceremony...wow!
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:04:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes it was something....

The bolt guts were missing on the .50 they had a belt of dewat ammo runnining into it.  The big guns had targets of the gulf war and how many rounds they fired. 23 miles + OR - 50 YARD ACCURACY WITH ANALOG COMPUTERS FROM THE 20'S

HERE IS SOME MORE.

120 rounds a minute BABY!
www.redstararms.com/quad40.JPG

See a zero in there CAMPY!
www.redstararms.com/sight.JPG

Periscope looking towards the Arizona and Big MO the Bowfin is in the foreground.
tough picture to get trying to get the camera to look through that eye.
www.redstararms.com/periscope.JPG

Ken RSA

I was sitting on that AAA cannon a few years ago. I got a photo of myself there.   Did you take a photograph of the battleship that was painted on the wall inside the museum?

Hawaii is great, but expensive.
I know you had a great time. Aloha!

[SHAKAH]

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 11:46:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Ken,

Really nice pictures! I had the opportunity to go to Hawaii last summer for a scientific conference and it was a pretty nice place. You know it's going to be interesting when you are glance out the window as the plane is landing and see this:

Here's their relatively new convention center:

I didn't make it out to Pearl, but I did run across the U.S. Army Museum and it appeared they were having some sort of display going on:

Apparently they made these guys use zip ties.

These ads were also plastered all over the place. From what I heard, it was one big Japanese tourist trap.

All in all, a nice place, although I was starting to feel a little claustrophobic by the end of my trip.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
You can see those submarines from the Waikiki beach as they head out to sea.

Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ken,

Great pictures!  I know you had a good time.  I hope to visit there in a few years.

Thanks for sharing, and glad you made it home safely.

T
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool pics! Thanks for sharing. Would you look at those gas prices.

What was the price of food on Hawaii?
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Mighty Mo was a cool ship Huh!

I liked playing with all the AA guns.  I had a great time playing on the same quad 40mm.

Was the place crawling with Japanese when you were there?  It was when I was there.

BTW, I though Ernest Borgnine died a few years ago????
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:25:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#11]
One of the things I noticed on the Missouri was on each side there is a large compass.

The compass is marked very clearly: HENSCHEL.

Now, if anyone knows anything about who made what at that time in history, you would know that henschell was one of the top 3 German military manufacturers for the Germans.

I found it ironic, German equipment on an American battleship at a time when they were at war with eachother.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#12]
What an amazing experience it is.  Seeing the oil slick appear on the surface from her oil tank is moving.  When I was out there they had just found a torpedo when they were dredging near the memorial.  They took it out to sea and detonated it.  I think it is the one in you picture.  Can you imagine the look on the crane operators face when he brought that up.  They said that if it would have went off it would have taken out the memorial.

Ken,  

Could yopu go into the Missouri?  Down below or into any of the ship?

I was on her sister ship in norfolk and you could only walk around the deck.  No going below due to the fact she was in the reserve fleet.
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Ken,

Is that you posing with the .50.  If so, I hope you got a tan while in paradise.  You are one white cracker.

Did you climb diamond head?

I wanted to go inside the Wisconsin? in Norfolk but she was sealed up and covered with grease.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 8:54:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I think most of us are white crackers when we get off the plane in Hawaii. :)   I think the correct term for us in that region is  "Houle".

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top