Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2003 1:24:14 PM EDT
Like the title says.... I heard that Galil mags fit .223 AK weapons ... some .. not all SARs

Tim
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a pack of four Weigers for my SAR 3.  Excellent quality.  BUT....they will not fit the OOW .223 Krinkov that I have......

Used Galil mags run about $30........the Weigers are cheaper than that.

Recommend you go with the Weigers.

KF
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have modified a bulgy polymer to work, but the weiger may give some trouble.  The problem is the front strap/lug is too wide to fit in the mag well of the 84s.   The weiger mags I've measured are all around .090-.095 wider up front than the norinco mags, and taking off enough material to match the factory mags won't leave much left.  Of course, the magwell is cut a bit bigger for clearance - if you are willing to accept a tight fit, you can probably safely take enough off.    

Of course, you could also always open the mag well up a bit, but it is always best practice to start hacking away on the cheapest part...

I can't say for certain whether or not the galil mags would work.   However, given that norinco, bulgy polymer, and weiger mags have all been successfully used in Valmet conversions, and I've always heard it was bad juju to attempt to use galil mags in the valmet, that the galil mags would also have problems in the 84s.   Would be nice if they did - not for 30 round mags, but for the relatively cheap 50 rounders.

Rocko
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
NO!!!!!!
:(

Want to buy 4, 35 round Galils:)

HTH,
Rick
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for the responses. I should ask next is .... WHERE do I find those elusive Bulgarian mags in .223???

Anyone have a few that they want to get rid of for a reasonable price?

IM me ..

Tim
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 7:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Those $2.00 Bulgie mags that ran $12-15 are now in high demand. Lowest I've seen is in the $25-30 range on the various firearms board's For Sale forums. Doubt you'll find anyone with more than a few for sale. Probably better to find someone who has some at a gunshow so you can look 'em over to see if they've been altered.

I've got a couple that work in one of my 5.56 NHM90s (never tried 'em in the newer of the two 'cause I nabbed a couple of factory 40's for it) To get them to work I basically just kept forcing them into the mag well until they went in fairly smoothly. If I could post pics you would be able to see where there's obvious marks on the tops from being 'forced' to fit. Feed/function has been fine and they look extremely cool.

Taking the current market value into consideration I'd just try to find Norinco mags. (same price, guaranteed function)

PM me if you want a very well written article on 5.56 AK's and applicable mags, etc. I should have it on CD somewhere around here...
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 1:35:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input... where the hell does one find Norinco .223 mags?  I havnt seen any....Not that I looked everywhere.

Tim
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top