Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 2:52:05 PM EDT
i seen at aimsurplus they got a WASR10 there for 270  and it takes double stack mags which is good and comes with 2 20 round mags

and an sar1 an southern ohio guns for 289..

and some average ones at gunsamerica

do any of you know any other places where i could get a good one, besides like gunbroker.com and that

and suggest me which one i should get.. and anything i need to know about the WASR10's and the SAR1's..
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know anything about the WASR's, but if you gonna get a SAR look out for front sight cant. I have a SAR-2 and the front sight was canted. There is a website that shows you how to remove the pins, drill this, pound on that, etc. I got mine fixed today, it involved a sturdy vise, a couple towels, and a BIG fuckin pipe wrench.

The SOG SAR, is that got that laminated wood? I got one from there, one their "Buy 2 SAR's, one wood stock, one with non-folding folder, and also these mags and some ammo, and save $X" (I dont remember the exact amount). It WAS a good excuse for a buddy of mine who's been wanting one to finally get one though. Neither of us had any laminated wood on our rifles.

The WASRs that take standard cap mags, instead of that reduced cap 10 round shit, isnt it just a matter of filing out the magwell? But there was something about them that made them less desirable, dont remember if it affected function. The mags wobble, I think that might have been it?

Go with an SAR-1. For as cheap as they are, you cant go wrong. The two most common problems, canted sight or trigger slap, arent hard to fix.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got my SAR-1 the other day. I ordered mine from Classic Arms and damn were they slow to ship!! Took them like over 2 weeks to decide to take one off the shelf and ship it to my local FFL dealer!! I am pleased with the rifle though...Laminated stocks and a decent trigger pull. Gonna make some changes and dress her up a little!! For the money you can't find a better deal for a CQB lead slinger!!LOL
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
SOG only has the SAR-1's with the side-folder but they are on sale for $287 until Dec 15th. I bought my from George Mason on Gun Broker for $279  and did it off of Gunbroker so I didn't need to register. Mine had straight gas block/sights and laminated wood. It's a 2003 model and the wood and metal look so much better than my 2001 sar-1 and 3. George also has SAR-2's really cheap if that's what you want.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The hi-cap WASR10's mag well is not the only thing cut open.
I don't know about the new ones but on the old ones they punched the rivits out of the bottom of the trutition (sp?) then grinded them down till the hi caps fit.
I have heard the new ones have normal trutition's (sp?) and they just open up the sheet metal for the 30 rounders.
And finally yes the seated mags do wobble after inserted.
They wobble very badly.
It's becouse the dimples in the sides of the receiver are not present to hold it in place and the existing ones that were inside the receiver (These were just 'L' shaped peices of metal about A inch long spot welded to hold the single stack mag in place)were removed to make room for the double stack.
My first AK was one of these.
It worked quite well, no real problems like canted FSB or trigger slap or anything.
I say either one is ok but that wobbly mag bugged the crap out of me.
But like tk241 said, get the sar-1.
The fixes are cheap and easy, If it ends up even having these problems (not all do).
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:12:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Or if a nice SAR1 does nto turn up, get a lowcap WASR for $100 less and do the conversion yourself. No real cost savings but your own quality control.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top