Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/27/2003 7:49:45 PM EDT
Sup fellas,

I can get a Saiga 12 gauge shotgun for 179.99 tomorrow. Pretty tempting.

I was wondering if that is a good price and also which one do you guys have? I really like the shorter version but will it take chokes? I've seen chokes for the one model of the Saiga 12.

Let me know what the scoop is on these. I've already got a Rem 870 and a MEC reloading setup. I was gonna get a 'Nelli Super 90 or a FN/Win Defender but now I see this puppy.

thanks
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I sold mine a while back, but it did work flawlessly :)

I believe the barrel length was 22", but the 19" would be my choice today.
My gun had a fixed choke (full choke, I believe). There are more options to choose from now, with a screwed on cylinder bore choke being one of the options. The threading for this choke is not done inside the bore, as found on most shotguns, but rather on the exterior of the barrel muzzle.

The gun has a gas control for shooting either 2 3/4" shells or 3" shells. When the gun is set on the 2 3/4" setting, it will shoot both sized shells, but will be harsher on the action. I would say sticking with the correct setting is best :)

The overall look of the gun is very menacing (in other words...... neat), but on closer inspection does look a little bit chintsy (spelling?) when compared to more expensive shotguns. What I mean by that is that it looks just like any other Saiga rifle or shotgun.

The traditional rifle style buttstock is very hollow (thin walled), and makes quite a bit of noise when tapped on. It is made from a polymer, as is the forearm.

The smoothbore barrels on these guns are hard chrome lined. The exterior finish is the typical black paint over phosphate finish.

The polymer mags are 5 round, and are inserted in the same fashion as one would insert any other AK mag. The mag that comes with the gun is fitted to it, and extra mags sometimes need a little judicious fitting (but not always).

Seems like now they are offered with a bolt hold open device, not so with my previously owned model. They are offered with adjustable sights (a bead front on a adjustable rail), or fixed sights. The adjustable sighted gun usually runs a little bit more money, and though the adjustable was what I had, I would choose the fixed sighted version if I were to buy one today.

Again, function was flawless :)

The price of these guns is downright great. They are definitely worth it IMO :)

PS. One thing I forgot to mention. The insertion of a fully loaded magazine when the bolt was forward, was real tough. It was not impossible, but definitely not a quick insertion. I have heard that the bottom of the newer model bolt carriers or bolt heads are milled to make this easier, but can't say for sure, since I have not worked with one of the newer models. In any case, if they still have this quirk, I would say that the bolt hold open device could make things easier, (while still making things more complicated during a typical mag insertion).  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep Durnham's, I didn't go cause I didn't decide.

I think I am going to the Hilliard show though tomorrow (the PRO show)
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad has a .410 version. He owns a lot of nice shotguns, and he uses the Saiga now exclusively. He absolutely loves it. He says there is almost zero recoil and it almost fires at full auto speed(bit of an exaggeration). He's bagged a lot of pheasants with it this year in Iowa. He's definitely a convert.
Link Posted: 12/6/2003 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
So what's a good online place to get one of these shotties?  Cuz I know I'll have to get one someday.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top