Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/26/2003 4:29:10 PM EDT
ok, so i was thinking about getting an ar15.. but i didn't feel like saving up a bunch of money right now, i might get one once i get a job.. anyway, i was wondering if someone could give me some links to where they sell some nice ak's for $450 and lower.. and tell me which is the best ak model you think.. and any other information you think i need to know.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:31:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Search your local gun stores for an SAR-1, you might still be able to find one for around $300-$375.  Might not be the prettiest one available but for that price it is definitely worth it.  I picked one up with Lamonate stocks and I am refinishing it myself since I don't like the light color.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
do you think most local gun stores will carry one?  and i think them brown stocks and that are beautiful. :)
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Do a search for SAR at www.gunbroker.com.

There is a reputable dealer there that is selling a lot of SAR-1s and SAR-2s for a good price.  Worth checking out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
While main wholesalers seem to be out of SAR2s, follow az-ars link and dig up a dealer with a decent rating for a SAR2 in 5.45x39. Smallbore performance like the AR, full AK goodness.
My SAR2 groups are 1" bigger than my Armalite groups on 10 cent Russian ammo, but at half the gun's price and Tonka Tuff.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Do a search for SAR at www.gunbroker.com.

There is a reputable dealer there that is selling a lot of SAR-1s and SAR-2s for a good price.  Worth checking out.

www.gunbroker.com/auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=id:129045

George Mason. I just bought a SAR-1 from him and he also has SAR-2's cheaper than anyone I've seen. He gets great reviews so that's why I ordered from him. I saved $80 vs. buying from my local dealer.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I just bought an AK47 (SAR1); i've also got an AR with almost 2K invested in it.   The AK is rougher but you CAN'T kill it, and the low cost/rough finish makes me feel fine dragging it through the woods while the AR gets the royal safe queen treatment.  You won't regret the SAR!  
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 8:30:45 PM EDT
[#7]
     For about 350 to 400 you can also get a Chinese MAK-90- and the finnish on those is generally much better than on an SAR... but the overall functionality is about the same.  On the MAK you dont really have to get a trigger job done, like on some SAR's. If you don't mind a thumbhole stock, go for the MAK-90.
     Another new thing that's comming out in that price range (now that the SAR supply has dried up) are the AK's built from Bulagarian parts kits on american recievers... i dont have any experience with these but they dont look half bad....
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:03:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Get both

I have both, however I enjoy my AR15 more.

There is something about a gun so smooth on the inside that it feels like your pulling silk through the receiver when you charge it.
Ever thought of building your own AR to save some $$??

If I had to do it over again, I would have gotten an SAR-2 instead of a SAR-1.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:29:07 AM EDT
[#9]
If you only want one AK.I suggest you check out the SSR101S or the SAM 7's at your next gunshow or local funshops. $400-$550 normally.Sam7 normally run alittle higher, but if you look hard anough not too much higher. They are the same rifle basicly.Just the production was alittle different.I don't want to go into that. Do a search on it and there is a very good explanation by SSR99 ( I think ).Milled reciever , Bulgarian AK. Very nice. Just thought I would add to your choices, WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:36:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
     For about 350 to 400 you can also get a Chinese MAK-90- and the finnish on those is generally much better than on an SAR... but the overall functionality is about the same.  On the MAK you dont really have to get a trigger job done, like on some SAR's. If you don't mind a thumbhole stock, go for the MAK-90.
     Another new thing that's comming out in that price range (now that the SAR supply has dried up) are the AK's built from Bulagarian parts kits on american recievers... i dont have any experience with these but they dont look half bad....

I would even go one step further.  I bought a post-ban Polytech AK-47 (Choate thumbhole stock) and put on a K-Var stock set (3 U.S. parts) and RSA trigger group (another 3 U.S. parts).  The rifle has a great finish and looks awesome.  I've thought of buying a used (Norinco) MAK-90 and doing the same thing.  If you look around on EE, AK-47.net, gunbroker.com, etc, you can find inexpensive used/new MAK-90's.  I've seen them for $300 or less used.  After putting in a U.S. trigger group and stock set, you'll still be well under $450.  You do not need to be a gunsmith to make these changes, and you will learn more about your AK.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top