Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/25/2003 8:07:40 PM EDT
I was thinking of using some heat paint for the barrel on my sar 1 and krylon on the reciever or should i do something else.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Might as well bake a finish onto the whole thing.  The standard Russian/Bulgarian/Hungarian/etc. AK finish is a baked on paint over parkerized finish.

The SAR is parked (poorly), but it makes a nice base for an authentic finish like one mentioned above.  

Bake on a semi-gloss black and you have the real deal.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I dont care for the paint on finish, Maybe you can do it better than me though, I have stripped and repainted a ak I have about 3 times now, I just started restripping it again last night, cause I still aint happy with it. Im trying to use grill paint, but maybe you can have better luck with yours. I want to try some of that alumahyde and see if that works better.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:58:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I seen some nice paint jobs but wasn't sure if it was an epoxy paint like imron or something like that.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 10:34:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Dupli-color 1200 deg. ceramic high temp engine paint. Flat black or semi gloss. Great stuff. $5.00 a can. My SAR turned out as good, or better, than any factory finish I've seen. Just make sure you get all the oil out during the prep stage.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Dupli-color 1200 deg. ceramic high temp engine paint. Flat black or semi gloss. Great stuff. $5.00 a can. My SAR turned out as good, or better, than any factory finish I've seen. Just make sure you get all the oil out during the prep stage.

Ditto

I have used the exact same thing, and the finish was perfect. Its about hard as nails after the curing and baking. Really nice finish. While your at it, strip the stock and refinish it too.

You have no idea how pretty a sar is underneath that rough exterior. Just needs a bit of makeup.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]

The SAR is parked (poorly), but it makes a nice base for an authentic finish like one mentioned above.

The SAR series are bead blasted and black oxide blued.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I have access to epoxy polyurthane aka imron avaition paint and do I have to prime that surface first.Or can i paint over that finish
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I painted my SAR1 with Harley-Davidson heat resistant flat black. Baked it in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. It looks pretty good. I call it "my beater", you know like an old car that you don't care what happens to it,I can always touch it up.
AB
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I was thinking of polyurathane but if everyone is getting good results I will go with that ceramic paint but does it smell when the weapon barrel gets hot
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was thinking of polyurathane but if everyone is getting good results I will go with that ceramic paint but does it smell when the weapon barrel gets hot

All my weapons smell when they get hot. I like that smell.
AB
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
That poly paint is nasty just wondering that's all can't stand that paint smell
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top