Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2003 7:22:47 PM EDT
Here's a little side project. I'm hoping to have going by spring. Just picked up the engine from the dyno shop this weekend. 430hp@6500rpm. Not bad for a VW motor. Car should be about 1400lbs. And yes, it will be street legal

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
interesting
sounds like me and my honda
full carbon fiber front end, fully built 1.8Liter motor setup for road racing
big brakes full suspension built motor 12.5 compression 100 octane race gas
daily driver
my only car
looks good when I go the the range with it and then bust out my rifles
good to see im not the only car junkie
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess guns and going fast go hand in hand. If anybody was wondering that hair dryer on the top of the motor pushes about 28lb. of boost. Makes a big difference. Only about 225hp without it.

Troy
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
well, if the engine is really putting out 430HP, I'm impressed.....seeing that I've not heard of a VW doing that, I'll believe you, but taking it with a grain of salt.

Put more photos up when you get it out on the road
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Take it with as many grains as you want. There are several aircooled VW's in the 9 second range in the 1/4. There is an aircoold VW dragster in the high sixes too.Just as with my rifles I don't BS when it comes to the stats. I had a 1914cc motor in the early nineties that put out 240hp on the dyno. I only quote hp figures that are dyno proven unless stated otherwise.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice bug.Whatcha got on the other side? I've been a big VW fan myself but nver got into dragging. I owned a 71 Karmen Ghia, 72 Bug and 79 Westy. I liked the westy the best cause it held more guns and we could camp in it. Now that I'm out of New England, I think I might be able to find one rust free. You'll have to keep us posted on your project.
Link Posted: 11/24/2003 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
With a turbocharger like the one that you have, you should easily see high hp but I would get rid of the weber or dellorto that you have in favor of fuel injection. I have a built Ford 4 cylinder with dual 40mm webers on it and it's a bitch to try and keep tuned, they always react to different weather conditions and living in a high altitude doesn't help either. Do you know anybody that can adjust them where you live because I would like to put mine on a dyno and exhaust gas analyzer to get it finally tuned right. I am right across the mountain and over here where I live, webers are not really understood. What size is the carb by the way? It looks like a 48mm to me and for that application I wouldn't go with anything smaller.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn,,,What you hillbillys won't do!!!HEHEHEHEHe

You wanna do it the West Virginiy way yah should put a small block Chevy motor up front...

Definitly nice though....Enjoy!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh yeah.....I've got skinned knuckles and 10W40 going thru my veins...

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 3:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:39:39 AM EDT
[#10]
i believe that 400+ hps
its totally doable and not withing reason...
my litle Honda 1.8 puts over 220 at the wheels transalting to about 250 crank hps on motor.
our drag civic was putting about 590 at the wheels.
so I do know it is withing reason and thats with 28 psi of boost
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Brings back memories for me as well.  I have had a '68, '74 bettles and multiple motors.  Never did the turbo route, but had a 2500 motor with dual webers that ran like a scalded ape.  I drove my lowered '74 for years.  Thing handled great and rountinely smoked 5.0 mustangs in my orange 'slug bug'.

I did get tired of adjusting the valves every 3K miles and melting shoes on the heater vents in the back.  Seems I was always working on it. But all in all it was a very fast and fun car.  When I finally got tired of working on it (hard to do well when its your daily driver and youre a poor college student)  I bought a used S-10 (no didnt know Bob then).  Almost got killed first time I came off an overpass at 50 MPH!  Definitely, not the performance vehicle I was used too, but it never broke either.

Kind of miss the orange rocket now...

Troy, you better get a wheely bar at 1400 lbs and 450HP, youre gunna be standing the front end up.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:10:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:17:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Nice!
I am mainly into the autocross action now. I keep updated on Bug stuff from local Richard "EMPI" Roth.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:19:38 AM EDT
[#14]
This isn't anything new to me I've had a VW since I was fifteen. A lot of people have doubts. Dave and Judy Kawell help me with my turbo motors and do my dyno work. If you know Hi-po VWs you know who they are. I raced one in the early ninteties for years. It ran consistant 7.40s in the eigth mile and was street legal. Before I got into law enforcement I really raised hell with them on the street. Corvettes and 5.0 mustangs never had a chance. Yes, they would have more HP but they couldn't put it to the ground. While they were spinning I was gone.

Troy Sellars
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:43:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I guess I have the Old school stuff compaired to the new and improved modern gadets. Technologly is wild ain't it!!!! I have a 1964 Chevy Truck,.Its a Custom cab, straight side, short bed.It has a 400 small bock, 4 bolt mains, 300 hp double hump heads, medium rise wieland aluminum intake,electronic ignition, 750 Holley carb, Turbo 350 tranny, Hurst shifter. Me and my dad installed power brakes, and power steering. It is drum all the way around but I have the spindles and front sections to install disc's.My brother restored a 1966 FORD truck ,SB ,Straight side.We dropped a built 428 in it a year or two ago.Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:49:14 AM EDT
[#16]
i've got a bud who droped a 454 in a bug. me am happy with just a 1835cc        www.acegerman.com
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I was always a MOPAR guy, I had a '70 Road Runner 440 4:56 dana, reverse valve body auto 3800 stall speep convertor, ran 12:06 at 109 MPH with street tires, and closed exhaust.

But speaking of Vdubs, here is my buddy's car, not a drag car, but still alot of fun

members.aol.com/vwmag1/gb.htm

Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I was always a v8 guy.  I've got a Keith Black 526 ci blown EFI alcohol funny car.  Its got a 1 piece fiber glass 98 firebird body on it and will run 6.04@247mph on a good day.  Its not street legal at all but a shitload of fun.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I guess guns and going fast go hand in hand. If anybody was wondering that hair dryer on the top of the motor pushes about 28lb. of boost. Makes a big difference. Only about 225hp without it.

Troy

hey thats almost the same setup i had on one of my old vw trikes. i had to take it off and go back to dual webs because the front tire would not stay on the ground long enough...well at all. so it had to go. sure was fun in a strait line though:)
                   later  jay
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Here's a little side project. I'm hoping to have going by spring. Just picked up the engine from the dyno shop this weekend. 430hp@6500rpm. Not bad for a VW motor. Car should be about 1400lbs. And yes, it will be street legal

Wow - you could get a lot of speeding tickets with that!
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is mine

pics and videos of it here, including dyno run. 472rwhp, 499rwtq, corrected to SAE.

Was daily driven till I got my WRX (also modded :-)just stage 2+) in May. Now the Cobra only sees sunny day service.
Should be good for high 11's if somebody with some skill would drive it. Pretty good for the comfort level, amenities, air, cd, blah blah

Here is our clubs site
www.motorcityterminators.org/pages/1/index.htm
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:13:10 PM EDT
[#23]
The WRX is COOL!!!!!!!!!!! I'm dying for a Mitsubushi EVO8 myself. I'm hoping this toy will keep me satisfied.
Here is a pic of Christy's cruiser. Not very fast but good for sunny day driving in the mountains.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#24]

I sold this one a few months back. I had it set up for road racing, but the friend who bought it replaced the suspension and swapped in an auto tranny. The powertrain remains the same as what I built.

Last weekend, at the last track day at his local track in MD, he went 9.889 @ 143. Guess 18 psig on top of a 396 ci smallblock is making a bit of horsepower; it needs to in order to move a 3800 lb car that fast. The 355 I had in it previously made 611 RWHP with 16 psig. And it passed IM240 emissions, and got 24 MPG too.

Getting that "it's time to built another street car" feeling. Guess I should wait until spring.

Link Posted: 11/27/2003 6:33:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Do I hotrod? Oh hell ya!!!! Although I prefer good old American V8 power..Here's my baby. Just waiting on a Magnacharger intercooled supercharger to spice up the oem 405hp....

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:58:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Guns and hot rods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hell YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2003 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The WRX is COOL!!!!!!!!!!! I'm dying for a Mitsubushi EVO8 myself. ...snip....

I'm also an EVO fan, 2 black ones and a nice silver sitting at the dealership in Southgate, drive past them alot, salivating.
I wish they made them in a wagon body, need room for hunting stuff (stacks of deadly 'salt weppins too) and sedan don't cut it.
Praying for snow now so I can do some AWD drifting and donuts.

Check out this post www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=172958
Had four guys, 5K rounds and 20+ guns in it for this shoot.

I call it my concealed weapon, no one would ever know what it can do from appearance alone. :-)

Link Posted: 11/28/2003 7:22:21 AM EDT
[#28]
One of the guys at the PD has a white wagon like that. Like you said a REAL sleeper. One of the doctors at the ER is a WRX fan. He had a black sedan then bought a silver STI. That car is truly AWSOME. It feels like they have stuffed six speeds in a five speed box though. I guess you would get used to it.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Mine is a 68 camaro with a 327.400 horses out of a 4cyl damn I thought I was doin pretty good makin a lil over 400 with my 327.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, I have a few projects going. I have a 9000 sq ft shop now so I can finally get some completed. The first is going to be the car I drove through high school (well, not literally).

Its a 67 firebird with a 400 and turbo 400 its blue with a black vinyl top and deluxe interier. It was a beautiful and fast car. I had stored it in a friends barn for 9 years and the mice destroyed anything that wasn't steel. It is stripped completely and I have put new floor pans in it and am currently moving the rear frame rails in 4" on each side for a narrowed 9" ford I had built. I plan on starting on the quarterpanels soon. BTW does anybody have experience with  Global West suspensions? www.globalwest.net/
I am planning on using their catagory 5 negative roll suspension.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top